EPCOT's Harmonious barges get new daytime video mode with a hint of the 50th celebration

Sep 29, 2021 in "Harmonious"

Harmonious daytime video display
Posted: Wednesday September 29, 2021 11:44am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Harmonious show platform barges are displaying a new daytime video mode today, as the countdown to "The World's Most Magical Celebration" nears its end.

The four large barges show a rippling water video, which approximates the look of the water in the World Showcase lagoon, perhaps looking like a reflection of the water.

Every couple of minutes, a 50 graphic appears in the center of the 25 feet high and 88 feet long double-sided LED panels.

Watch the video below for a look at the effect in motion.

Nunu5 days ago

No biggie! Trying to keep up with Disney these days be like: 😅

MisterPenguin5 days ago

I stand corrected.

James Alucobond5 days ago

I would also consider the fact that there was a placard about the daytime fountains in World Showcase itself as being an announcement, even if it wasn't listed on the website or brought up in a presentation.

Nunu5 days ago

IIRC, the daytime fountain was indeed announced at some point. Found this article from November 2020: https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/harmonious/news/20nov2020-photo---harmonious-show-platform-barges-to-be-used-as-daytime-fountains.htm

MisterPenguin5 days ago

Apparently, once they saw how anemic it looked. Altho, it was never announced... just appeared on concept art.

Squishy5 days ago

So have they abandoned the daytime fountain concept?

Crazydisneyfanluke10 days ago

Saw it Friday evening. It was delayed for 45mins due to technical difficulties. The middle barge had all the issues. Ring didn't have projections, lighting was off and on, arms didn't move at all, finale was lack luster due to no perimeter fireworks (It was raining and windy). Shame they don't have a back up plan like Illuminations had.

Tom Morrow10 days ago

I agree with that. The opening chants and "Awakening" are really well done as a long, slow build. As I mentioned in my analysis of the soundtrack, the way they give a sense of something big coming together from fragments is well done, and I also like their mashup nature. I just wish the rest of the show carried that momentum, but it doesn't due to the start and stop pacing and the fact that by the end of Awakening, the show has shown you all of its hands already.

trainplane311 days ago

Some interesting show issues over the past few days. Middle ring with no water or arms, only lighting (this almost looks better aka less sensory overload): Middle ring arms closest to the camera give up right after the timestamp (9 mins) and no longer move, even for the post show bit:

Vinnie Mac11 days ago

Okay so I know the point is that HarmonioUS doesn't have any part that keeps you guessing what's going to happen next but personally I think the opening act of HarmonioUS does kinda give this feeling of "what's gonna happen next?" The somewhat slow build to the first launch of actual pyro and then the whole "gathering everyone and setting out to adventure" theme of it makes me feel this way.

Tom Morrow11 days ago

As a huge, huge fan of Reflections of Earth, I do feel it is disingenuous to assert that it had a strong story or narrative that held the audience's attention. Let's be honest here - while I'm aware that it does technically have a narrative, it was very abstract. So abstract that the vast majority of viewers have no idea what each segment is supposed to represent. But what it did have is an overarching theme and vision. The entire show was one unified piece meant to be taken in it's entirety. Though most viewers did not key in to the narrative, almost everyone got the tone and the message of the show, and the unified nature of it's production, better pacing, and continuously introducing new things to the audience is what primarily held people's attention. Sure, many thought that the globe segment was boring, but it still held your attention as a first time viewer because you watch wanting to know what is going to happen next. With Harmonious, knowing you can zone out of a particular segment because it will be over in a minute or two before the next one starts, combined with no overarching theme or unified vision, well.... you know. It makes for an unengaging, overly long show that doesn't hold your attention.

hpyhnt 100013 days ago

I think the clip show nature of Harmonious can lead to more side conversations as folks see/hear "their favorite" movie or character and then talk with others about their excitement. So, the lack of silence isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you're right that the format means there's less "need" to pay attention during the whole show because one part doesn't rely on another. Compare that to more narrative shows like Fantasmic or Reflections of Earth where their respective finales are built on the story and effects from earlier - Mickey's triumph in Fant! is more meaningful after you've seen him battle the villains, and RoE's globe opening is more impressive after watching it maneuver and rotate into the center of the lagoon post-Chaos. Also, I feel a lot of people in general these days just can't stop and focus on anything for more than 2 minutes, let alone 20. I guess blame the smartphone and associated apps, news alerts, and social media notifications that bombard our world.

Haymarket200814 days ago

Something I noticed during Harmonius that wasn't the case during IllumiNations. The attention of the audience. There was extended periods of quiet and attentiveness during IllumiNations that Harmonious never achieved. At least at my viewing.

90s14 days ago

It’s fantastic in person. My new fav