Disney files construction permit for shuttered Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser

Jan 29, 2024 in "Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser"

Posted: Monday January 29, 2024 9:28am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has filed a construction permit for the now-closed Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser at Walt Disney World.

The permit is assigned to Sunstate Awning & Graphic Design, a Florida-based company that provides custom fabric and metal awnings.

The permit provides no other information, and the scope of the work is unknown. It remains to be seen if this construction is related to any future guest-facing project at the former Starcruiser or simply part of maintaining the building during its closure.

Disney is remaining tight-lipped on the future of the building; speaking in June 2023, Disney Parks boss Josh D'Amaro said, "No hints yet, but something will happen."

Possible concepts for repurposing the Starcruiser include a much cheaper daytime excursion from Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and converting the facility into a traditional hotel experience. The latter seems more unlikely due to significant changes that would need to be made to the building to operate as a conventional hotel.

Carrying a lofty price tag of around $5200 for the two-day, two-night experience, Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser launched on March 1, 2022. After stronger-than-expected initial sales, Starcruiser bookings quickly stalled, forcing Disney to look to save costs and boost reservations. The final Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser voyage was September 28-30, 2023.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

danlb_20001 hour ago

These are just the actors, how many other CMs are needed on stage during a voyage? $100 may not be unreasonable because you have to count salary and benefits.

asianway6 hours ago

Only if an illness necessitated a swap

Purduevian6 hours ago

Understood. I guess it's not as easy as saying Sammy makes $100 an hour for a 12 hour shift 7 days a week ($8400 a week). However, it might more be like both Sammys make $4500 a week whether it's there 4 day week or their 3 day week ($9000 for both Sammys)

flynnibus7 hours ago

Sammy 2 and Sammy 1 are both on contract and on staff even if they aren't working that day :) That's my point. That employee is costing you overhead even when off shift because you need him trained and committed to you. You have multiple people on staff for the role.

Purduevian7 hours ago

Right... but if Sammy 1 is working Cruise A, C, and E. and Sammy 2 is working Cruise B, D, and F... There is still only 1 Sammy per day working/Cruise. I don't think they ever had multiple actors playing the same face character on the same cruise but I could be wrong.

natatomic8 hours ago

I think “hours” are calculated really weird with equity actors. My husband is in that union, and while he is not scheduled 8 hours (it’s closer to 6, and even then, most of that time is breaks), he gets paid 8 hours. The Nemo Show is something crazy - like, they do something like 3 shows and get paid 8 hours. I might be off on that one, I can’t remember exactly what it is, but it’s something like that. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how something like the Cruiser cast was calculated. ETA: I think it’s called “show value.” Each show had a specific show value of X number of hours. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll ask my husband when he gets home if I remember. 🙃

flynnibus8 hours ago

Keeping it simple... remember there is more than one person who fills a role. People don't work every shift themselves, etc. People are allowed to take days off, etc. But those people are still on payroll, etc.

Purduevian8 hours ago

Yeah I was just trying to count the actual actors and using "worse case" scenario. Outside of the actors, there was a support team (not sure how many people that would be). However, I guess I was just trying to show that I can't see the actual actors costing over ~$11k a day which doesn't seem like the back breaker many people make it out to be.

flynnibus9 hours ago

Plus.. you are basically counting their stage time.. not your labor investment to meet that obligation :)

TrainsOfDisney9 hours ago

Equity would be limited more than that - would also need swings and an equity stage manager. But that doesn’t mean it was cost prohibitive of course.

Purduevian9 hours ago

I think the only full face character actors on each voyage were: Captain Riyola Keevan Cruise Director Lenka Mok Sammie Gaya Raithe Kole Sandro Alimander Rey First Order Lieutenant Harman Croy First Order Colonel Grav Talis Then a list of characters that can be done by multiple actors on the same voyage SK-62O Ouannii The Saja Chewbacca Kylo Ren First Order Stormtroopers (x2) If we assume all the face actors are limited to 12 hours a day, and the non-face characters can go 16 hours a day (2 8 hour shifts). You are looking at a max actor manpower of (9*12+7*16)*2 days= 220 hours of actors per voyage (probably way high). If they are paid $100 per hour (probably way high). The max salary per voyage for all of the actors is ~$22,000. I think is also quite high as not all the characters are constantly there through both days.

Jrb19799 hours ago

I agree with you. The problem I have is Disney as whole is not a luxury vacation destination. It's always meant for the middle class

TrainsOfDisney9 hours ago

I mean everything at Disney is priced outrageously these days - character meals are sky high at WDW for example. I would say it was always designed to be a premium experience- but they went higher than necessary because they thought they could and learned they could not. Personally - I think the experience had to be a hard sell. I would have considered it, but I wouldn’t want to go alone and my mom wouldn’t like it and I don’t have friends who’d be willing to pay. So even if it was the same price as port orleans im not sure I would have tried it. That’s a big part of the failure as much as the price.

Nubs7010 hours ago

Aren't you the special ingredient?.......