New behind-the-scenes video shows more of Harmonious coming to EPCOT October 1

Sep 16, 2021 in "Harmonious"

Posted: Thursday September 16, 2021 3:25pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has released a new behind-the-scenes video for the upcoming harmonious nighttime spectacular at EPCOT.

Along with seeing more of the show and hearing more of the music, there are comments from Mark Huffman, Shoe Director, Yaron Spiwak, Senior Music Producer, and Clint Clarke, Audio Designer.

Jeremy Geertsema17 minutes ago

Having now seen it in person - it is visually impressive. The aftershow as well is also well done. I think my biggest issue is the lack of connectivity. It's like opener, song montage celebration, and closer - there's no line connecting them all. It especially seems off the rails when the Dig A Little Deeper section begins - celebrating America I guess? On their own, I believe each sequence works - just needs more flow. As for finally seeing the barges in-person, I think the nighttime Harmonious visuals make up for their appearance in the daytime. When they begin to test the fountains in the evening prior to the show - they look decent, but I suppose it costs them money to keep them on all the time? Just keep the dang things on.

Epcot82Guy1 day ago

I do have a genuine question for those who enjoy it. Do you truly enjoy it as is? Or, if it had a more cohesive narrative and connection between the songs, do you think you would like it just as much? I say that because it seems there are two camps coming from the negativity. There is obviously the Epcot purism/non-IP argument. But, the more common issue I'm hearing is that it lacks a story or inspiration or connection to Epcot's inspiration/real world narrative. That seems easier to fix, since that's creativity and story telling - which, in theory, doesn't cost any more. I'm almost in the camp where I would be open to seeing an "Epcot-y" version of this show (IP and all). I just want good, layered, aspirational story telling back. So, I wonder if that's the third option that could help bring everyone on board - or if the fans who like this really like something about it the way it is.

WondersOfLife1 day ago

Agreed.

DKampy1 day ago

Yeah…I agree…I thought that was a bit of stretch… when he told me… nonetheless I was surprised by the reactions in the park was vastly different then the forums

James Alucobond1 day ago

No, but nothing was ever going to be.

mandstaft1 day ago

Is it worth all the barges on the lagoon?

WondersOfLife1 day ago

Yikes. It’s good. But not that good.

DKampy1 day ago

Agreed 100 percent… just got back from a trip myself…hate to tell the Epcot purists… this show is bonafide hit with the populous…I even had more than one person ask me randomly if I had seen Harm while waiting in line and tell me it’s great… one told me it’s the best nighttime show Disney has ever done

WondersOfLife1 day ago

Watched Harmonius in the front center of the lagoon viewing tonight. I thought it was really good. The barges are not necessary at all though. It’s a shame the structures look so ugly. They could have done more of a world of color thing with the projections for sure. The actually spectacular concept itself would be better than MK’s. And it should have gone to MK LOL.

Jwhee1 day ago

It is a fun show. It is very sad to think such a meaningful song “promise” has been replaced by a “fun Disney fountain” post show. overall huge downgrade to the dignity of World showcase.

Epcot82Guy1 day ago

To be fair, I think it's case by case. I've heard everything across the broad. And, as you noted, it didn't line up to the person's IP on vs Purist vs GP status. I do think the one objective disappointment is the missed opportunity. As an admitted purist, the idea of this show should have been a home run for everyone but the non-IP crowd. And mostly given how the first Epcot IP show could lean into the story, emotion and heartstrings. I've never heard that about this show from anyone. "Fun" and "visually impressive" are the biggest compliments. Which to me shows the biggest fail and cheap out given potential. I fully expected to hate this because it was objectively one of the best stories and tech combos they ever did. (In the wrong park, but only as a purist.). Not the Disney+ advertisement it ended up being. (Not my words. Those of someone who enjoyed the show.)

mikejs781 day ago

I've noticed even some Epcot purists having positive reactions to the show (while recognizing that the IP inclusion is not great). Maybe it's just is an impressive show in person.

Epcot82Guy2 days ago

I do wonder if there is some self selection here. From personal experience, this has killed interest in Epcot and Disney for some of us. Others I know have finally been priced out, especially DVC. And so there is a chance the crowd there is the die hard family and character crowd. They aren't at discerning (not meant as a dig) and don't know Disney history as much. So they can get away with less depth because that crowd will like it. It's overall a reduction in quality (solely meaning a version that would have appealed to both crowds) but with a reduction in crowd level - focusing on those who will pay the money and say it's awesome in their view. I can see the business vision. Though also the potential for short sightedness. Just a thought!

wishiwere@wdw2 days ago

I’ve had the same observation. We’ve seen it 3 times and each time the crowd reaction really surprised me. Even the chatter on the way out was extremely upbeat. As I’ve said before, it definitely has its issues; all of which is clearly outlined in this thread lol. But this show doesn’t seem to have the same level of hatred as that other show in the Magic Kingdom.