Harmonious firework test shows more of what we can expect from EPCOT'S new nighttime spectacular

May 21, 2021 in "Harmonious"

Harmonious firework test May 20.2021
Posted: Friday May 21, 2021 7:10am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney's Harmonious project team carried out a firework test late last night at EPCOT which fired some of the pyrotechnic product that will be used in the new show.

Crews could be seen working in the lagoon throughout the evening preparing for the test which used all six of the smaller barges, the two main firework platforms, and the sea wall perimeter launchers.

After-hours and close to midnight, the test began and could be viewed by guests from the surrounding resort hotel area.

Here is a video of the 30 minute test, compressed into a 7 minute clip of the most visible firework launches. Some of the effects were low level and could not be seen above the tree lines.

Points of Interest

It appeared that all of the firework platforms were being used simultaneously for some shots, which indicates that testing has moved beyond simple launches and that the team has synchronized control of all the launchers.

Two shots were fired from what looked like the rooftop of the American Adventure theater, similar to the opening shot from Reflections of Earth.

The sea wall perimeter launchers were tested firing a synchronized shot towards the center of the lagoon.

Harmonious will debut later this year, although we still expect to see EPCOT Forever to make a brief return prior to the start of harmonious. Disney is yet to provide an opening date for Harmonious, but has given 2021 as an opening timeframe.

Thelazer5 hours ago

When you do renderings, and you make it super foggy, those light beams look great. Same thing as that water that is supposed to hide the barges in the day time......

mnelson36 hours ago

Yeah I’m worried to. I guess it’s possible they’ll flip the switch on all lasers around property on the 1st, but we’ll see.

mnelson36 hours ago

Yeah you’d think, and we did, that all those lights on each barge would be impressive. Hopefully Disney deliberately released crappy images and videos that isn’t showing us the final look🤞.

hpyhnt 10006 hours ago

Should we be worried about that at this point? I'm all for upgrades but it is odd to have this long a gap considering they got a pretty big upgrade in the final years of IllumiNations, and that was accomplished without interrupting RoE. There was the one preview video which showed the manta ray effect from the AA laser, so maybe they've just been very good at keeping the new programming secret? It would be nice to have them working in EPCOT Forever because there's some obvious show gaps without them.

wdwmagic7 hours ago

The lasers were not available in June, and have still not returned to EPCOT Forever.

wdwmagic7 hours ago

Indeed. In fact the whole lighting setup seems weak compared to what we were expecting. Hard to judge from testing and outside the park, so we'll see.

HauntedPirate8 hours ago

Feels to me like if something hasn’t been tested by this point, it won’t be in the show.

Vinnie Mac8 hours ago

Do you think it's possible that same effects weren't included in the popular June test? I also noticed we couldn't see lasers in that testing so idk if what they showed was the FULL package.

mnelson39 hours ago

One thing we haven’t seen in the preview videos is the spot light beams from the arms like the concept art. Or was that a failed effect? Sadly I think the majority of the lighting effects and lasers wont be to noticeable unless there is enough pyro smoke.

Vinnie Mac1 day ago

brb10061 day ago

It's an eyesore!

MisterPenguin2 days ago

I still call it The Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village.

Vinnie Mac2 days ago

Yeah. My family and I are either going in October or November. If we are going in October then I could probably keep myself from watching any spoilers. If we are going in November then I don't think I will have the mental capacity to wait another month 😂. Either way I'll probably just slip up and watch it anyway🤷🏾

Vinnie Mac2 days ago

I've slowly (but not fully) grown out of calling HS "MGM" but if it makes you feel any better, I still often say Downtown Disney instead of Disney Springs 😂