New Porte-cochere craned into position at the front of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

Jun 14, 2021 in "Disney's Polynesian Resort"

Porte-cochere installation at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - June 14 2021
Posted: Monday June 14, 2021 9:54am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The all new Porte-cochère was lifted into position by crane this morning at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

The structure has been in the process of being assembled over the last couple of months in the parking lot before today's installation.

The porte-cochère is part of a complete rebuild of the arrival area at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, including an all new monorail station.

According to WDI's Zach Riddley, "One of the biggest changes will greet you right up front – a new porte cochere will showcase the iconic mid-20th century architecture the Polynesian is famous for. Our team from Walt Disney Imagineering and Walt Disney World have crafted a design inspired by colors, patterns and textures found throughout the resort. This new entry features a high-pitched, open-truss roof covered in a thatch style. There’s also a bold façade that features pops of color complementing the Longhouses found throughout the resort. Along the Monorail station, bold new wooden screens will be covered with geometric patterns in bright, tropical colors that complete an exciting new composition that will greet you when you arrive."

Click the gallery to see more pictures of the new porte-cochère at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

Skywise12 hours ago

Bolt!

rle4lunch20 hours ago

I wonder how he got his helicopter so low in order to take these pics?!? bonus points if you know the movie this screen grab is from.

montyz8122 hours ago

Wow. I am so disappointed in the lack of detail for the new entrance. I really hope that they try to cover these structures to bring that wood look of the old entrance. If not... it looks like the cost-cutting continues. I've seen better displays at Six Flags.

Mr. Moderate4 days ago

The construction pace is frustrating slow and they need to kick it in gear. Please get this open before October.

Skywise4 days ago

Welcome to iHop!

MrPromey4 days ago

I agree and maybe for the same reason. That said, if they were to do something about that, I'd say this is coming along better than I was expecting.

UNCgolf9 days ago

Maybe it's because I already know it's metal, but it doesn't look like wood at all to me. It looks like a steel/aluminum sheet. I'm not planning to stay at the Polynesian anyways, though, so it doesn't matter to me.

Disney Analyst9 days ago

Honestly, with these decent shots showing the underside, I don’t mind it. Just looks like wood planks painted white. Works for me.

James Alucobond9 days ago

For as slowly as Disney moves at construction, I'm consistently impressed by how quickly and secretly the horticulture team is able to transform spaces.

DCBaker9 days ago

Disney Analyst9 days ago

wdwmagic12 days ago

still very much construction site in that area so hard to tell what is happening currently.

CuteAsMinnie12 days ago

Maybe someone who is there will report back if they see this over the derailed non- Poly posts! 🤣 🌺

GimpYancIent12 days ago

It goes a bit deeper than cosmetics. Some demo and reconfiguring is needed first then the application of styling.