More construction scrims go up in the main Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort

May 26, 2021 in "Disney's Contemporary Resort"

Contemporary Resort refurbishment - May 2021
Posted: Wednesday May 26, 2021 8:30am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The major refurbishment of Disney's Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World is continuing with more construction scrims added to the main tower.

In addition to the original side facing Magic Kingdom that was covered last month, the opposite side is now also completely covered in a scrim.

With this latest change, all of the rooms in the main tower are now unavailable for guests, leaving just the garden wing and Bay Lake Tower available.

Disney expects all of the resort's amenities to remain open during the work, although there is some noise disruption form the construction work in the main tower.

No official announcement has been made about the changes to the rooms, but we expect to see a major renovation of the guest rooms, with a complete interior replacement. It is also expected that some of the rooms will take design cues from the Incredibles movie characters, in a similar way to how Moana has been introduced into Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

TrojanUSC5 days ago

Well ironically the entire decor of the common areas when it opened was a American Southwest motif, which is odd since there's little less contemporary than that. Now I think they are aware of the building's flaws and have just decided to embrace the era in which it was designed (mid-century). It also helps that The Incredibles has a similar aesthetic, though I wish they'd leave the cartoons out of the deluxe hotels.

castlecake2.05 days ago

Ow my head.

Missing20K5 days ago

I seem to be very much in the minority when it comes to giving themed environments and experiences a thorough and rigorous contemplation within the overall historical context of art, design and architecture, but that’s ok. I enjoy placing theme parks and such in a greater framework and viewing them as art you experience and critiquing the results as one would any other work of art. Some don’t enjoy this, others do. There’s room enough in the parks for both so it’s all gravy.

Missing20K5 days ago

I said as much in the next post. And so it went from being “contemporary” then to being “retro-futuristic-modern” today. That’s fine. I have no dog in the fight of what it should be. I guess I’m just now realizing I didn’t have the same reading of the theme/building that most do and perhaps that Disney themselves do as well.

dreday35 days ago

I guess I never thought about it that much. 😂 I'll defer to your opinion.

MisterPenguin5 days ago

It was contemporary when it was built!! https://www.google.com/search?q=contemporary+interior+design&sxsrf=AOaemvKxGrfzls5qIxXNgHdKtAE8J7dm0w:1631819652623&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMie31mYTzAhXQdN8KHTKoAPAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1296&bih=781&dpr=1.2 https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+interior+design&hl=en&sxsrf=AOaemvKU6FNkQO5cC3i462Mj6E_tGkSrDQ:1631819677685&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih9uaBmoTzAhUISN8KHds2CI8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1296&bih=781&dpr=1.2 https://www.google.com/search?q=mid+century+modern+interior+design&hl=en&sxsrf=AOaemvKBfykSDuKKdVk0O_rPS3A-dA8cjw:1631819695614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqi62KmoTzAhWNg-AKHfhsA14Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1296&bih=781&dpr=1.2 https://www.google.com/search?q=mid+century+interior+design&hl=en&sxsrf=AOaemvIMIyZqp7SubL_UTrcSSCwls0p1Vg:1631819735591&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj56rSdmoTzAhVEU98KHbeTAz8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1296&bih=781&dpr=1.2

Missing20K5 days ago

I find it to be at the intersection of modern and postmodern architecture. While a brutalist concrete structure, it’s also a comically oversized A-frame, lending itself to reading as a historical reference. Bit of a different discussion. You’re probably right. That very well may be the intent. It may have been all along. Maybe I just misinterpreted the intended theme based on the name of the resort and it opening at the tail end of the modernist movement.

Missing20K5 days ago

I didn’t think I needed to be that specific when I mentioned the Eames chair, as they are arguably the most well known icon of mid-century modernism. I personally don’t think it fits the theme of a “contemporary” resort, but perhaps I’m being pedantic or quibbling. I will just disregard the words used to describe the various themed experiences/resorts.

dreday35 days ago

So far it's very retro-modern. Which is what I always assumed the vision for CR was/is.

TrojanUSC5 days ago

The concept art looks mid-century modern, which is what they are going for all over there.

Missing20K5 days ago

I had to Google West Elm as I’ve never heard of it. Is the fact a rustic-retro-modern style furniture store misinterpreted the difference between modern art/design and contemporary art/design excuse Disney from also doing so? If Disney followed the trends the CR wouldn’t even exist.

HauntedPirate5 days ago

Following a trend = more money that will need to be spent in the long run to “stay current”, in a vicious cycle of “keeping up”. At least the insides of the elevators look good.

James Alucobond5 days ago

I think it's just on trend now and they're trying to take advantage of the moment. Walk into any West Elm and you'll be utterly assaulted with this style.

Missing20K5 days ago

Senior level interior design student quality boards. I can only presume the final product will reflect the concept art. ETA: Will someone tell them “contemporary” doesn’t mean “modern”? Someone involved in the decision making must really like Eames furniture and googie architecture.