Disney will begin reducing physical distancing to 3ft over the next few weeks at Walt Disney World

May 12, 2021 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Posted: Wednesday May 12, 2021 11:30am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney will soon begin the process of reducing physical distancing at the Walt Disney World Resort following updated guidance from Orange County.

On April 29 2021, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings signed an order to reduce the physical distancing requirement from 6ft to 3ft in all settings, both indoors and outdoors. Disney did not make immediate changes following the announcement, but has now started to notify Cast Members that the process will take place over the next few weeks.

The reduction from 6ft to 3ft will take place in certain areas at the parks, resort hotels and Disney Springs, but won't apply to dining areas, shopping or any area where guests can remove masks. Cars may also be directed to resume parking in every space.

The company has also updated its website with the following description of its physical distancing policy:

"Temporary adjustments are still in place to promote physical distancing. While we will reduce physical distancing measures for Guests across many areas with a gradual, phased approach, six-feet distancing measures will continue in all dining locations, merchandise stores and in areas where Guests can temporarily remove their masks."

Disney is currently making a number of small steps to return Disney World to a more normal state of operations. So far we have seen mask usage relaxed for guests taking photos, the removal of a face shield requirement for Cast Members outdoors, and temperature checks being phased out this week for both guests and Cast Members. Most recently, the process has begun to once again cover the trash can openings that have remained locked open for the last year to reduce guest contact with surfaces.

StaceyH_SD5 hours ago

Probably when they get more staff.

phillip96986 hours ago

Any word on when they are going to start filling more tables in the dining areas that are open. Dining capacity still seems woefully low.

DisneyCane15 hours ago

I'd say RNR doesn't suffer badly without it but it doesn't make it worse with it. It tells the story of why you are on a speeding limo and needing to avoid traffic. I do wish TT had been turned back on when I rode Wednesday. It adds a challenge.

Tom P.16 hours ago

HM has returned now too.

DCBaker20 hours ago

According to DFB, the dining room in La Cava del Tequila reopens tomorrow - https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021/06/19/exclusive-you-can-drink-inside-la-cava-del-tequila-in-epcot-again-starting-tomorrow/

CastAStone1 day ago

Yes it came back approximately 45 minutes after I posted this, because of course it did LOL. Glad it's back! I think it's a fun diversion.

Chomama2 days ago

TT is back i hear

CastAStone2 days ago

I haven’t seen any indication that TT design studio or RNR is back on. RNR is better without it but TT is missed.

Elizabeth Swann2 days ago

I think TOT and HM

MansionButler842 days ago

Dinosaur is operating.

ABQ2 days ago

Pretty sure this is still current. Updated when things change. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pre-show-live-show-return-tracker.973210/#post-9813054

MansionButler842 days ago

What preshows haven‘t returned yet?

dreday32 days ago

I just saw this. You made my day. It's not an exaggeration when I say Living With the Land is one of my favorite rides in all of Disney.

DCBaker3 days ago