New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonder of Life

Feb 21, 2019 in "EPCOT"

Disney has today announced that a new Play Pavilion will be coming to Epcot's Future World in the former home of Wonders of Life.

This new space will be devoted to playful fun and feature an innovative city that’ll come to life under the dome of the un-named pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life. The pavilion’s city will be bursting with interactive experiences, your favorite Disney characters, hands-on activities and engaging entertainment when it opens just in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort.

“This innovative, new pavilion is beyond anything we’ve ever created and is completely unique to Epcot,” said Zach Riddley, portfolio executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. “Built on the power of play, it introduces an immersive and interactive ‘city’ where you can explore, create, and interact with some of your favorite Disney characters. This is an experience worthy of our bold vision for Epcot – and another signature element of our transformation.”

Article Posted: Feb 21, 2019 / 11:06am ET

Mac Tonight5 days ago

Or for "Urban Explorers" to "explore"...

Disney Maddux5 days ago

While it still may not be used for Play, it's nice to know the CC space will no longer be left for dust and leaks to take over.

DreamfinderGuy5 days ago

If memory serves the majority of the Cranium Command space will become cast space for Play, and Body Wars will remain under EPCOT events' control.

Tavernacle125 days ago

I could be wrong, but I believe an insider here said that those areas would not be used while it was still the Play Pavilion. Play is a bit of a long term bandaid and a decade or more down the line it’d be redone in a new theme to use those areas. But again I could be misremembering and presumably all long term plans now are in limbo.

FigmentFan825 days ago

I don't recall, did this pavilion have any phase 2 plans that would capitalize on the spaces where Body Wars and Cranium Command were? Or is it just using the inner dome space for the foreseeable future?

Dragonman5 days ago

Maybe it’s also a reminder for them to keep his situation in fresh eyes.

DreamfinderGuy5 days ago

So speaking of Wonders of Life, EPCOT's VP happened to have a framed photo of Buzzy on her desk during last night's D23 presentation. I know it's a silly thing to make anything of, but I wouldn't give up hope. The pavilion clearly isn't forgotten by certain higher ups. Maybe someday.

marni19715 days ago

Amen.

DoleWhipDrea5 days ago

No confirmation yet as to Edna’s “Mode” of being. Sorry, I just had to 😂 The tricky thing with the concept art from PLAY! is that it’s difficult to tell just exactly how some of the characters will be seen in the pavilion. For some of the games, it’s obvious that they’ll be in screens, while others seem to suggest a more physical presence. My guess is that a lot of the pavilion will be a glorified meet and greet combined into a modern version of DisneyQuest. I’m hoping for an Edna figure, as she’s going to host this show and talk. But it’s also very easy for Disney in this instance to pick a cheaper alternative, and if the Incredicoaster was any indicator of how much Disney is actually willing to invest in this character in the parks, I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Having a masked character at this show would be slightly problematic in that guests would want to take photos with her after, and it would be strange to have her end the show and come off the stage and not talk. Granted, they could try something similar to the jedi show in DHS where Vader has some pre-recorded lines, but it won’t be as convincing seeing her face yet not having her mouth move. ... I really wish we were getting an updated Wonders of Life instead of this.

Cmdr_Crimson5 days ago

This could very well be a character as she was meet-able

hakunamatata5 days ago

Most likely a screen and the shadow is an intended part of the animation.

SplashZander5 days ago

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but do we know if Edna is a screen or an animatronic? I would've guessed she would have been a screen but the fact she has a shadow makes me believe otherwise.

atighe42Oct 19, 2020

I'd imagine they would either A) open it for the 50th/late summer 2021 or B) open this and Guardians in one fell swoop. If the info saying that they want the MouseGear/Electric Umbrella overhauls to be completed by Sept of next year is to be believed, then I would imagine they'd "premiere" World Discovery (minus Guardians) in time for the 50th.

brihowOct 19, 2020

I've been thinking the same thing. I actually love how it feels related to SE in the faceted panels, yet still ties into the original design of the pavilion. I think this is one of the recent changes that was done very well. The changes going on inside however.....