New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonder of Life

Feb 21, 2019 in "EPCOT"

Disney has today announced that a new Play Pavilion will be coming to Epcot's Future World in the former home of Wonders of Life.

This new space will be devoted to playful fun and feature an innovative city that’ll come to life under the dome of the un-named pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life. The pavilion’s city will be bursting with interactive experiences, your favorite Disney characters, hands-on activities and engaging entertainment when it opens just in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort.

“This innovative, new pavilion is beyond anything we’ve ever created and is completely unique to Epcot,” said Zach Riddley, portfolio executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. “Built on the power of play, it introduces an immersive and interactive ‘city’ where you can explore, create, and interact with some of your favorite Disney characters. This is an experience worthy of our bold vision for Epcot – and another signature element of our transformation.”

Article Posted: Feb 21, 2019 / 11:06am ET

DreamfinderGuy4 days ago

I don't know if it ever made it to this thread, but my pure speculation says that these are not the permanent new tiles. I think they are temporarily there while they do structural work, and because they don't want to risk damaging the permanent tiles (or something to that effect) they have them in place for now. I think they'll all be taken off and the originals put back on before the pavilion reopens.

nickys4 days ago

For the love of DIsney, what are they doing? They put them on, they take them off, repaint them. And then start again. 🤦🏽‍♀️

Rteetz6 days ago

_caleb19 days ago

Maybe they’re going to project something onto the exterior as well?

brihow20 days ago

I have no way of knowing what they'll do - but it would make SO much more sense to have painted these tiles on the ground in a paint shop and then just install them. Also I'm pretty sure they already are painted that gold color. I would bet that these are the final painted color.

MisterPenguin20 days ago

Once they're done rereplacing all the tiles, I hope they rerepaint it a nice color!

trainplane320 days ago

Let's repaint the entire dome. Ok! Let's try to seal out all of the water leaks too. Great idea! Wait let's replace most of it... But what about the work we did already- And people wonder why budgets for projects are so huge.

HauntedPirateAug 20, 2020

That they did.

FordloverAug 20, 2020

Same here, I really liked WoL, and Body Wars I only got to ride once back in 1992, so only have faded memories. I wonder when the simulators were pulled and where they were sent. And how the heck did they get them out of the building? Seems like the doors to outside aren’t large enough, so they dismantled/destroyed them? And perhaps kept Some of the parts for star tours?

FigmentFan82Aug 19, 2020

Just remembering how cool I thought Wonders of Life pavilion was when I was a kid. So much to do in there! Kinda the alt side version of The Land with regards to how many different things were in one pavilion. Body Wars was one of my all time favorites. I'm glad the space is going to be used again for more than seasonal festival use.

MisterPenguinAug 19, 2020

Even if the pavilion is a blank slate right now, there's good hope for post-pandemic normalization within 8 months due to a vaccine. So the idea that Disney should put the PLAY! idea in the dump because of the pandemic is something that is only the case for the next 8 months. After 8 months, PLAY! can be utilized as planned. The idea that if Disney switches to something else while the pandemic prevents PLAY! only makes sense if it could put something new in there within the next 8 months. And they have the money lying around for it. And the idea. And the schematics. And the construction crews. And we all know that ain't happening.

Magicart87Aug 18, 2020

What have they done? Do we know? Is it past the point of no return or?

MisterPenguinAug 18, 2020

And where's the money coming from to stop whatever they've done so far to turn it into something else within 8 months?

Figments FriendAug 18, 2020

Perhaps...just perhaps....Disney will rethink their decision to turn this former Pavilion into a 'high tech' kiddie play area. Just imagine that! -