Overnight testing of 'EPCOT Forever' underway at EPCOT

May 11, 2021 in "Epcot Forever"

Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2021 8:37m ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

'Epcot Forever' has been in testing overnight at EPCOT this week as a return of Walt Disney World's firework shows edges closer.

The interim show debuted in October 2019 and only played for a few months before the parks were closed due to the pandemic. Speculation continues that 'EPCOT Forever' will make a return before we see Harmonious later in the year.

Guests staying at EPCOT resorts last night could hear the soundtrack of EPCOT Forever playing in World Showcase, although no fireworks were seen. Should 'EPCOT Forever' return, expect to see some modifications. The kites would be removed due to all of the additional hardware in the lagoon for Harmonious, and there would likely be smaller changes to the pyro and other effects.

Disney has yet to announce a return of nighttime shows, but with COVID conditions continuing to improve, and Orange County relaxing restrictions in regard to social distancing, we may be on course to see fireworks at Disney World this summer.

Disney will present its quarterly earnings later this week, which in recent times has been an opportunity for Bob Chapek to deliver news on capacity and openings. Perhaps an announcement of summer fireworks may be part of that - stay tuned.

zoso14 hours ago

Yea I only recently realized the songs were from Epcot attractions. But to be fair, as much as I love Disney/DW, I’ve only been like 4 times and I’ve only been to Epcot twice (I think).

James Alucobond15 hours ago

I doubt you're the only one. The last time I was there, I had a family next to me that kept thinking the music was supposed to be "from" something throughout the entire show but couldn't figure it out.

sedati16 hours ago

Well, now they'll have four more screens to make sure the sponsor's messaging can't be missed.

zoso18 hours ago

Oh man, the barges are going to look amazing at night. The LED tape in this video might look simple, but this is pretty bright for a daytime test. I hard to tell if they’re polychromatic but I’m soooo excited to watch this show. I said this before but Disney World’s night shows are actually the reason I work on Broadway doing lighting. I still hope one day I can work at DW as an imagineer for their night shows.

DCBaker18 hours ago

mnelson320 hours ago

Yeah that’s true. Hopefully Harmonious stays at 20 minutes and doesn’t get slashed down.

SpectroMan9321 hours ago

To be fair, EF is 12 minutes long, while Harmonious clocks in around 20 minutes, so it’s safe to say Harmonious will have more pyro.

mnelson323 hours ago

Yeah unfortunately. Maybe its not such a good thing to get us used to a show with a lot of added pyro just to come down to less booms and more screens lol.

UNCgolf23 hours ago

It may rely heavily on the screens. Which wouldn't be a good thing, but also wouldn't be visible for testing.

mnelson323 hours ago

Have to say I was more impressed with the EF testing than Harmonious lol. Harms finale feels weak asside from the perimeters.

marni19711 day ago

I was talking about the GE funded 1988 shows laser barge. But hey.

zoso1 day ago

Oh interesting. Thanks! I may be one of the only people then who actually enjoys the Whole New World ending, funny enough it might be my favorite part of EF. I can see the argument against it however

Inspired Figment1 day ago

Intellectual Property (in this particular usage though, it means the use of pre-existing film & television properties). The majority here are sick and tired of the overreliance & forced nature of movie/television based attractions being shorhorned into EPCOT & other places that doesn’t particularly need them. Particularly when they mostly come at the advantage of more unique park-exclusive concepts specifically/originally created for the parks

zoso1 day ago