Polynesian Village Resort monorail station confirmed to be closed through to July 2021

28 days ago in "Walt Disney World Monorail System"

As part of the refurbishment work at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, the monorail service to the hotel will be suspended for 8 months.

The monorail station will be closed from November 2 2020, and will reopen in mid-July 2021 alongside the reopening of the main hotel. For guests staying at the villas or bungalows during the closure, transportation options will include direct bus transportation to all four parks and watercraft to the Magic Kingdom. There is also a walkway to the Transportation and Ticket Center to access the monorail from there.

The resort monorail will continue to operate during the Polynesian work, traveling through the station but not stopping.

Article Posted: Sep 22, 2020 / 10:14am ET

nickys5 days ago

Thanks! There’s the cross beams but then there’s the horizontal poles / beams / roof bits - but they’re all different lengths. It all just looks so messy IMO. Either it’s always looked like that with the ends and I’ve never noticed (entirely possible) or the removal of the cross beams have left it more noticeable.

UNCgolf6 days ago

I know -- that's the problem. It needs the crossbeams for definition, but without the density it just looks like something random stuck on top. They no longer look like they're supposed to be part of the building's roof. Who knows what it will look like when it's finished, but I don't think removing that many crossbeams is a good idea.

Bocabear6 days ago

Without the roof crossbeams, it is a flat roofed low rectangular brown box... The crossbeams which are visible from a great distance give the building shape and style....Without them, there is just not much there.

DisneyOutsider6 days ago

Meh, it looks different.. don't think there's enough there to say whether it looks bad.. it's not like the previous feature had any sort of strict architectural integrity. One could argue that it was a little too busy for the building it adorned. As someone who's invested in this resort in several ways, If the final product delivers relative to the concept art I'll be pretty pleased.

UNCgolf6 days ago

I thought the same thing, but it points to a serious flaw in the concept art -- eliminating so many crossbeams makes it look terrible. They'd be better off having no crossbeams at all than leaving just a handful with huge gaps.

DisneyOutsider6 days ago

I believe you're referring to the beams, some of which are currently being removed in the photos posted in this thread, and have always been there in some form. I'm not surprised to see it still closed. It's pretty straightforward, really. It's exactly the sort of environment you don't want to be in right now.

Thelazer6 days ago

The amount of Money they made in such a small space... I'm shocked it ISN'T open already!

nickys6 days ago

Can someone explain what is the weird piles sticking out randomly from the roof area in this concept art? To me it looks unfinished and messy.

FigmentFan826 days ago

Would be great if they could open the Tiki Terrace

wdwmagic6 days ago

I would expect it to remain closed

DisneyOutsider6 days ago

Capacity is so low inside Trader Sam's as it is that I can't see it being worth the operating costs to serve a Covid-19 capacity. Would be nice if they opened the Terrace. Tambu lounge is open now as well.

nbar6 days ago

Is it thought that Trader Sam's will remain closed during this entire refurbishment? The bar is small but they could do reservations only. Really was hoping to enjoy an evening at TS during my December trip!

aladdin200710 days ago

they are wasting no time on this project