Plans filed for the new Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin expansion

Nov 05, 2018 in "Walt Disney World Swan Resort"

Plans have been filed with the South Florida Water Management District for the beginnings of the expansion to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort.

Plans show the new tower being built on the tennis courts, next to the Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. The existing special events pavilion will be demolished, making way for resort parking space. The project is expected to break ground this fall and is scheduled to be completed in the fall of 2020.

When complete, the expansion will add a 14 story tower with 349 guest rooms including 151 suites, 22000 square feet of meeting space and a 90 seat restaurant. The new location will be open for group bookings beginning March 1, 2021.

Article Posted: Nov 05, 2018 / 12:04pm ET

lazyboy97o5 days ago

It’s not the same! There’s a picture of a Disney, Disney•Pixar, Star Wars or Red Logo Superheroes character on the wall!

UNCgolf5 days ago

Which is exactly why this current Disney push makes no sense. If all the theming was removed, there'd be little reason to stay at a Disney hotel. I could just stay at a Disney Springs area Hilton and save a bunch of money.

Lirael5 days ago

If I'm going out of my way to stay inside the Disney bubble and paying 3x the amount I would pay outside of it, clearly there's nothing I want more than to feel like I'm paying extra for the same generic stuff I find anywhere else on the globe.

UNCgolf5 days ago

Not only are they building bland hotels like the Riviera, but they're going out of their way to make the well-themed hotels more generic. It's awful.

Lirael5 days ago

Oh I agree, Disney is 100% at fault for allowing it. As I said they seem to be going through a low effort glass box phase right now. I hate it.

UNCgolf5 days ago

Did you not notice that Disney built the Riviera themselves, which is just as bland and generic as this hotel? Of course they had no issue with this.

TJ Vazquez5 days ago

This hotel should be very nice inside. While the outside does leave something to be desired, it's going to be an Autograph Collection hotel, aimed for conventioneers, so it won't feel like a budget hotel.

Lirael5 days ago

I wish it could have at least followed the color scheme of the rest of the S&D. Ideally it would all look the same, but if Disney has currently some sort of generic glass box kink, c'mon at least go with the same colors. If I didn't see the news here, I would 100% assume this is a new hotel that has nothing to do with Swan and Dolphin, and 100% wouldn't believe this would ever be allowed to be built inside Disney property. Say what you will about the Swan and Dolphin architecture, but at least it has some sort of unique style which in a way fit Disney in its difference. This is so generic. You could place it anywhere in the world and fit. This reminds me of the new Universal hotels. But you know what? At least those are budget for the low effort involved, this won't be.

DCBaker7 days ago

UNCgolf10 days ago

Still looks better than the Riviera (which would also fit in nicely at any random location).

marni197110 days ago

That would look nice at nondescript airport, anywhere.

_caleb10 days ago

I'm going to start calling the Little Mermaid section of AoA "The Reserve at Art of Animation Resort."

DCBaker14 days ago