Latest look at land clearing for the new DVC tower at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

Jul 06, 2022 in "Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows"

Luau Cove area demolition - July 6 2022
Posted: Wednesday July 6, 2022 8:27am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Here is quick look at the former Luau Cove site that has now been cleared to begin the preparations to build the new Disney Vacation Club tower at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

All that remains of Luau Cove is a few dumpsters and a small part of the structure that likely contains essential utility components.

The new DVC tower is planned to open in 2024.

JohnD1 day ago

I remember reading Bricker's story earlier then I looked it up. I also looked up a Banyan tree to make sure it was correct. Yep. It has a truck which looks like multiple smaller trunks bundled together.

Smiley/OCD1 day ago

I was beginning to think it was just me…THANKS

Weather_Lady1 day ago

The title still says "Oak." It threw me, too.

Smiley/OCD1 day ago

Yes, the original story said oak…I changed my comment

JohnD1 day ago

Tom Bricker says it's a banyan tree. I believe him. It doesn't look like an oak tree anyway. https://www.disneytouristblog.com/dvc-tower-expansion-polynesian-village-resort/ One exception to that is the iconic banyan tree that was the focal point for wedding ceremonies and the backdrop for countless Christmas cards. While all of this has been controversial with longtime fans, there was a vocal contingent that was particularly upset about the loss of this banyan tree. Based on what we could see of the site, it appears that Disney intends upon saving the banyan tree. It’ll almost certainly need to be relocated, hopefully to somewhere else on Walt Disney World property where it’ll continue to serve as a memorable backdrop for guest photos. Banyan trees are awesome. Much better than tower hotels being shoehorned into small parcels of land where they’re incongruous with their surroundings.

EPCOT-O.G.2 days ago

The new Encanto ride behind the to-be-announced Colombia pavilion

mysto2 days ago

The article doesn't mention where the tree is going, and I'm curious. I agree I'm surprised they'd spend on it. I'll bet they priced it's value and decided to keep it in the 'bank' somewhere, as old trees like that are very valuable. Also their effect on the environment is priceless, someone on staff may realize...

Smiley/OCD2 days ago

There we go…transplant the tree outside of Tron…see the other thread…it will help quiet people down…I’m actually VERY surprised Chappie would actually spend the $$$ to transplant it.

ryguy21 days ago

Haha good catch. I too wish for a Traders Joe's in our town, but get the same lame excuse.

EPCOT-O.G.22 days ago

Here’s the thing…if they’re going to extend it all the way ”to” my house, may as well go “through” my house too

pdude8122 days ago

Now you're talking. That's the best idea you've had all day

Bbeagle22 days ago

It would also cost a bunch to extend the monorail to your house.

pdude8122 days ago

Right? I'm always asking for a Trader Joes to be built near my house, but there's not enough population density in the county.