Disney Parks Boss Josh D'Amaro hints at something coming to Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser at Walt Disney World

Jun 27, 2023 in "Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser"

Posted: Tuesday June 27, 2023 3:10pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

In a recent interview with The Points Guy, Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Chairman Josh D'Amaro commented on the future of the soon-to-close Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser.

In response to a question about the future of Starcruiser, D'Amaro said, "No hints yet, but something will happen."

He continued, "I know not everything's going to work. What did work, though, is we took creativity and storytelling to a completely new level, to a level that had never existed before. ... It didn't work commercially. And so, when we realized that, you just make a call and move on."

The final voyage for Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser will take place September 28-30, 2023, and has already sold out. Disney is contacting guests booked on the cancelled Starcruiser voyages and says it hopes to relocate Cast Members to other roles at Walt Disney World.

Carrying a lofty price tag of around $5200 for the two-day, two-night experience, Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser launched on March 1 2022. After stronger-than-expected initial sales, Starcruiser bookings quickly stalled, forcing Disney to look to save costs and boost reservations.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

Communicora46 minutes ago

What is a Surrell/Kleyla moment? Please dish!

PREMiERdrum51 minutes ago

Jenny's video certainly got noticed... nothing from the c-suite beyond "staying the course" with their current strategy, but consternation internally is percolating.

Sirwalterraleigh13 hours ago

The defunctland should be mandatory viewing before anyone engages in wdw talk

donaldtoo15 hours ago

I watched the whole 4+ hours of that video on and off, over about an 8-ish hour period yesterday. A bit tedious in places, but it was extensive and a good overview. Many of us had a bad feeling about this idea early on, especially once they announced the price point. Just seemed like such an unsustainable business model. Even if it was a dream you saved for to only do once, that would be a problem, as Disney only got that big money from you one time at that location. And, if you had plenty of money and were able to afford it anytime you wanted (and how could it be much different every time…???), why would you when that money would afford you so many other superior options for travel all over the world…?! Seems to me it would be a one and done for the vast majority, just to say they did it once.

Animaniac93-9816 hours ago

I've wondered how Disney reacts when videos like this, or Bright Sun Travels recent "Disney World is too expensive" video get literally millions of clicks (Defunctland's Fastpass video has over 20 million views), when their own social media posts struggle to get more than 10-50k views each. Publicly, we know there is no formal response, but you'd think someone would be paying attention to this kind of spotlight.

999th Happy Haunt17 hours ago

Theme park content exploded on YouTube in the past few years. Defunctland’s hour+ long documentary style videos have gotten millions of views as well. While I agree not many of the millions of views account for the full 4 hours, I think there has been a very wide reach for the video, especially with lots of shorter clips of it being uploaded on Twitter. Jenny rocks, happy Disney’s price gauging is becoming way more public.

JD8018 hours ago

That's what I get when I post from my phone.

pdude8119 hours ago

Are you really comparing the reach of a free youtube video with Star Wars content to something that cost $6k? And I would bet money that less than 5% of people clicking on a 4 hour youtube video watched the whole thing. What happens here is that tons of people watched starcruiser videos in the past, especially shorter ones criticizing the experience. This new video will be suggested to many of those people and others with related interests, who may not even know what SWGS is and click on it anyway. But if you can get some real life viewing stats on this video to prove me wrong, please do. Certainly some have and will watch the whole thing, but come on.

Ghost9320 hours ago

If Disney is going to exclude people for having cameras, they need to make that known in advance, before the 2-day experience begins, not after someone has invested $6,000. Even still, it would be stupid to not treat all guests equally.

FerretAfros20 hours ago

Let's do a little math... As of this exact moment, YouTube shows the video has having 3,626,654 views. Let's assume this means that many people have watched the entire 4 hours, 5 minutes, and 38 seconds of it (probably inaccurate, but it's what we've got). That comes out to 14,847,118.51 hours of eyes watching this video about the Starcruiser's failure. The Starcruiser itself operated from March 1, 2022 to September 30, 2023, which is 578 days, or 289 possible 'departure' days (though we know that it was only operating 4 days a week toward the end). Assuming an average occupancy of 4 people per room (which is higher than reality), with 25 hours and 15 minutes of 'entertainment' time per trip (per the numbers in the video), that comes out to 29,189 hours of people being entertained on the Starcruiser. In less than 1 week, this video has been consumed over 500 times more than the Starcruiser did during its entire operational lifespan. And of course, that says nothing of the number of people who have watched this video compared to the number who experienced the attraction itself. While I'm sure the number of people willing to watch a 4+ hour YouTube video about a defunct tourist attraction is somewhat limited, it appears that this is reaching a fairly wide audience that likely includes a lot more mainstream viewers than Disney news typically garners. One has to wonder whether it will have any effect on Disney's business philosophies that have been so clearly called out in it, or at the very least, whether it will make customers more skeptical of the practices already in place.

George20 hours ago

Like many, when "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge featuring Blue and Green Milk with Some Exciting Characters from Various Star Wars Movies and the Like" opened, we did some of those things on our phones for free. I expected something to more to happen. Incredibly lame. At least it wasn't part of a super expensive frantic SW experience that I raided my son's piggy bank for.

George20 hours ago

I'm a half hour from the end and its one of the greatest youtube videos I've ever seen. She's absolutely brilliant. Look up her video about the Hallmark party youtube channel. My son pointed me to it. It's from about 3 years ago, I believe. Only 18 minutes long. The first time I watched it I laughed so hard I almost couldn't breathe. There's only a few things that have made me laugh this hard. Blazing Saddles. Charlie, the blood capsules, and their effect on him in "Frank's Pretty Woman".

asianway21 hours ago

Can anyone elaborate on a designer commenting she was excluded because of a camera? Smells like another Surrell/Kleyla moment

Dr.GrantSeeker1 day ago

It's crazy because they have cornered themselves in this position not being able to fill rack rooms and continue to double down on the wrong decisions instead for course correcting. But hubris and all