Florida Governor moves to prevent the use of vaccine passports in the state of Florida including at theme parks

Mar 29, 2021 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Posted: Monday March 29, 2021 6:41pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Citing privacy concerns, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has this afternoon stated that he intends to block the use of COVID-19 vaccine passports in the state of Florida.

In comments today he said, "It is completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society." He went on to specifically mention theme parks, "You want to go to a movie theater, should you have to show that? No. You want to go to a game, or a theme park? No. So we're not supportive of that."

DeSantis said that he plans to use executive actions to ban their use in Florida.

Vaccine passports are gaining widespread attention world-wide as they are seen as a way to enable safer levels of transportation and attendance at events. Disney has yet to make any official comments on whether it plans to attempt to use vaccine passports as a part of its future policies at Walt Disney World.

Meanwhile at the White House, Andy Slavitt, a senior adviser for COVID-19 response said today, "The government here is not viewing its role as the place to create a passport, nor a place to hold the data of citizens. We view this as something that the private sector is doing, and will do."

havoc31517 minutes ago

You would need control groups, as “restrictions” were only 1 of many many factors affecting infection rates. And such control groups aren’t possible. For example, you would need to compare infection rate with restrictions on October 1, 2020 with infection rate without restrictions on October 1, 2020, in order to control for seasonality.

durangojim33 minutes ago

What would be really interesting, but probably close to impossible, would be to see the demographics on a day by day basis for WDW and Universal and follow those people to see what infection rates during the restriction periods and then after.

havoc31557 minutes ago

James J2 hours ago

The info will be amongst various other threads here, but the likelihood seems very high for it to be much more normal feeling way before Summer 2022. I don't know how soon full on character greets will be back but our insiders point to fireworks being back within the next few weeks.

Giants145 hours ago

Apologises if this has already been discussed, i'm too lazy to read all 3000+ pages haha What is the likeihood of everything in Disney being re-opened for Summer 2022 - i.e do we believe fireworks and character greets being available next summer. Trying to convince my wife to go 2022 but there is the obvious concern of travelling etc

Phil129 hours ago

They're just trying to make the buses feel more like the Skyliner gondolas.😰

helenabear11 hours ago

Could've seriously fooled me as a lifelong Ohioan. Not joking either. Granted I've lived in a few different parts of the state and being in all 3 types (rural, suburban, and urban) so maybe I have a more wide spread view of things. But again Ohio is better than WV in terms of vax status and really any "diverse politics" are in bubbles. Sometimes living in a bubble I forget how singular it can be in many areas of the state. Then I drive down 71 or out 70 west and I'm reminded of the 100% difference between my suburban life and the rural that most of the state is.

TrainChasers11 hours ago

Really? Maybe it’s regional but I certainly have.

Polkadotdress11 hours ago

I can’t say that I’ve EVER seen a protesting mask!

Tom P.11 hours ago

lol. I lived for 30 years in Ohio. But thanks anyway.

iowamomof411 hours ago

I bet that explains it! Thanks!

GimpYancIent12 hours ago

Are these pilotless drones capable of transporting people or are they piloted? WDW does have an old airstrip.

DisneyFan3212 hours ago

I wonder WDW will have these as they will transfer people from Orlando airport to Walt Disney World in the future?

disneygeek9012 hours ago

Ahh yes I love standing up every 5 mins to let the people by me in my row that have to get up every inning. Thank god that’s back!!