Florida sees massive rise in new COVID-19 cases to almost 9000 in today's Florida Health Department report

Jun 26, 2020 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Posted: Friday June 26, 2020 10:39m ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Florida Department of Health has just released new COVID-19 numbers showing a huge increase in new cases yesterday.

8933 new cases were reported, up from around 5000 for the previous few days. Today's numbers set a new record for the most new cases by a significant margin, the previous record was 5463. The state's death toll climbed by 33 to 3366.

In related news and in response to the rise in COVID-19 in the area, Apple has closed its two closest retail stores to Walt Disney World effective today, at Mall at Millenia and Florida Mall. Both stores are located about 12 miles from Disney Springs.

Disney reiterated yesterday that it still plans to be reopening the Magic Kingdom and Disney's Animal Kingdom on July 11, with EPCOT and Disney's Hollywood Studios following soon after on July 15.

Discuss on the Forums
View all comments →

SteveAZee22 minutes ago

As it turns out, you can't believe everything you hear (or read). ;) It's like some people have an opinion and try to find data to support it, rather than gather data and develop an evolving opinion that's supported by the data.😁

runnsally1 hour ago

just ask my kevlar seatbelts…

JoeCamel1 hour ago

But but I heard it here that only a fitted N95 worn properly would work. Anything less is useless? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/health/schools-mask-mandate-outbreaks-cdc.html

Heelz23152 hours ago

The models are indicating the end of Q1. Hopefully that holds. I know it’s 6 more months but we’ve made it this far we can do 6 more months. hopefully we’ll have the summer in ‘22 we should have had in ‘21

MisterPenguin6 hours ago

This article hurt my brain. The authors are making the point that, in general, people don't quit en masse when forced to vaccinate. And their research backs it up. But, they lead with two outlier examples from two weeks ago to gin up the specter that hospitals and businesses everywhere will be shutting down over people quitting rather than getting vaccinated. And they have the clickbait headline of what anti-vaxxers were saying four months ago, which has dramatically changed since then. Yahoo News, again, is not a good source of information.

Vegas Disney Fan7 hours ago

I wonder which state was added and how that affected the totals, the Sept 13 data says “from 49 states”, the Sept 20 data says “from 50 states”. It’s possible most those cases came from the one state that wasn’t previously reporting.

Disney Analyst9 hours ago

Has anyone else’s region show a rise in cases in the young population? We are seeing that now, and it’s alarming.

Polkadotdress13 hours ago

Also from the FL DOH site: No prescription or referral required for State of Florida sites. To support Governor DeSantis’ initiative, there is currently a standing order in Florida signed by the State Surgeon General that allows patients to receive this treatment without a prescription or referral if administered by an eligible health care provider. Such referrals are not required at any of the State of Florida monoclonal antibody treatment sites.

GoofGoof13 hours ago

86% in the 65+ demographic. No clue how many of the other 14% would have qualified for the boosters too. Likely that 90%+ of the breakthrough deaths were in the 65+ or high risk group that just got authorization for a booster at least for Pfizer with the others to follow soon. Seems like pretty solid support for the boosters.

ParentsOf413 hours ago

Here's a scary number. Breakthrough deaths among those who are fully vaccinated increased by 1,453 in 1 week. (Breakthrough hospitalizations increased by 1,893 over the same period.) CDC data from September 13: CDC data from September 20:

GoofGoof14 hours ago

We can agree to disagree. The cases that are reported are overwhelmingly in the unvaccinated population. Many places showing 90%+.

GoofGoof14 hours ago

Don’t forget the argument against mitigations and masks that has been made repeatedly is that people with mild and asymptomatic infection are less likely to be contagious. Here’s a study posted here a few months ago showing just that. So if vaccinated people overwhelmingly have mild or asymptomatic cases which are slipping past testing then they are still not spreading covid as easily. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/4/20-4576_article

lazyboy97o14 hours ago

All you have to do is the math to realize that 30% of the population is plenty of people to allow for huge outbreaks.