Florida begins using cell phone Emergency Alerts to broadcast COVID-19 guidelines and introduces 'Three Cs'

Jun 24, 2020 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis this afternoon took a slightly more serious tone in his briefing as cases in Florida surge to more than 5500 new cases yesterday.

During the brief press conference, he announced a new focus on "Avoid the Three Cs," which is to avoid Closed spaces with poor ventilation, Crowded places with many people nearby, and Close-contact settings such as close-range conversation.

In addition, the state has started to use the cell phone Emergency Alert system to send guidelines to residents.

Article Posted: Jun 24, 2020 / 3:32pm ET

Sirwalterraleigh33 minutes ago

But we are ALONG way from mass vaccination of kids. Fall at the “warp speed” earliest. They are going to be at the back of the line no matter what...and it’s a long line.

Sirwalterraleigh36 minutes ago

No I hear you... But carnival and royal transport more kids due to larger ships/more ships/more runs, no? Disney has few ships...but I would guess the % of Berths with kids on dcl is quite high. Would be interesting total numbers to see though? 🤔

havoc3151 hour ago

Trials with younger kids are already underway. My 13 yo nephew is participating in one.

MansionButler841 hour ago

Well, not until such time as the CDC declares numbers are low enough that we can ditch masks and social distancing even with unvaccinated kids—which is possible, but I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s the only way we are “back to normal by Christmas” as leaders suggest. There’s no chance of kids being widely vaccinated by Christmas. They seem to be in no rush to start younger kid trials. Rush to get a vaccine to market in 11 months and then take a further 13 months to trial it in kids while also developing variant vaccines that may replace your original vaccine by then? Great idea.

LUVMCO1 hour ago

There's that but the biggest problem is the borders being closed. Carnival and Royal actually transport more kids around than Disney. Cruising has become a family affair. The big mega ships with all the kids attractions are their bread and butter. Carnival's new ship has a rollercoaster on the top deck. It's not just an old persons vacation anymore. It will be a problem for all cruise lines.

Sirwalterraleigh1 hour ago

Any infection at all on a ship causes an incident...and bars them from ports...and could create quarantine and crew problems. I assume your playing the straight man here? Or you didn’t follow the cruise difficulties last year? Cruises are not gonna sail with 1,000 unvaccinated kids with the “they’re fine...no big deal” mantra. That policy is never gonna get past legal

CastAStone1 hour ago

I guess if 16+ are required to be vaccinated, what’s the issue if a kid brings it on board?

Sirwalterraleigh1 hour ago

I’ve got $40 of juice floating through me... And not only do I feel no different (which is the great) physically...I feel 400% better mentally. Anyone not wanting these vaccines are nuts. Just for mental health

Sirwalterraleigh1 hour ago

I agree...and I don’t honesty think they will return before 6/2022...but too soon to get a read

MansionButler841 hour ago

Other cruise lines can require vaccines and just say “no kids.” I’m not sure how DCL returns before 2022. Maybe if hospitalizations and deaths fall precipitously and don’t rebound for a few months.

Sirwalterraleigh1 hour ago

When you print the majority of the world’s money in your basement...who cares??? Buy it and give it to Canada...hell...give it to Cuba. We can use the good pub these days

Sirwalterraleigh2 hours ago

Yeah...I think they don’t sail until full vaccinations. And why is that a problem for Disney? Kids.

MansionButler842 hours ago

I thought I was clearly being satirical...calling it a “Dollar Tree vaccine”, I would have thought, would set off the “he’s being silly” sensors. I also said I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the vaccine, but that the company monkeying with numbers early on poisoned the well in the USA, dramatically pushing off their Phase III that our government agencies are considering. The combination of those two things will likely render the vaccine unnecessary here, putting it into COVAX. Keeping more expensive products while donating cheaper ones is commonplace in America. I’m not suggesting that was the goal here, just that it’s what will occur in the end, and it’s an interesting metaphor for America. The AZ vaccine is cheap. It’s a fact.

helenabear2 hours ago

Let's be real here, I was talking issues with the trial itself and the approval process in the US. Given the issues with the trial, I'd be surprised if it gets approved here soon thereby sending doses elsewhere. If the numbers in the US trial are good and consistent without the issue of dosing and such, then it would get approved. It's not elitism to talk about bad processes during the trial that lead to not so clear outcomes. It has zero to do with one being better than another. In fact I gather it is better than J&J and yet we'll use J&J just fine. If AZ/Oxford had called me first I wouldn't have hesitated to join Pfizer-BioNTech happened to grab me first. And if you look at the numbers here, the US was banking on more AZ-Oxford in the amount they ordered. It was a poor gamble really in the end because it's just not going to be approved soon. Doesn't mean we view it as lesser either. I do think the UK bias is showing in your posts. I don't think it's a bad shot and don't read it that way, we may just never get it approved in time here.