Disneyland Resort will reopen both of its theme parks on April 30 using park reservations and restricted to California residents

24 days ago in "The Walt Disney Company"

Disneyland Resort

Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Chapek has today announced on CNBC that both of its California theme parks at the Disneyland Resort will reopen April 30 2021.

In new guidance from the state, theme parks will be able to operate at between 15% and 35% capacity depending on levels of COVID in the area . In contrast, Walt Disney World reopened in July 2020 at a 25% capacity.

As at Walt Disney World, advance theme park reservations will be required to visit the parks as a measure to control attendance.  To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date are required for guests ages 3 and up. Theme park reservations will be limited and subject to availability and, until further notice, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines. Disney has said that more details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Prior to the full public opening on April 30, Disneyland Resort will invite cast members and members of the local community as part of a soft opening. A Touch of Disney, the limited-time ticketed experience which has sold out, will go on as planned at Disney California Adventure from March 18 through April 19.

The hotels of the Disneyland Resort will reopen in phases. Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa plans to reopen on April 29, with limited capacity. Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will plan to reopen May 2. Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel will reopen at a later date.

Reopening Disneyland will return more than 10,000 Cast Members back to work. “The day all of us have long been waiting for is almost here,” said Ken Potrock, president of the Disneyland Resort. “We’re excited to have more than 10,000 cast members returning to work as we get ready to welcome our guests back to this happy place.”

Note that Avengers Campus, the new Super Hero land, will open at a later date at Disney California Adventure.

Disneyland was originally planned to reopen on July 17 2020 after its closure in March 2020 due to COVID-19. It did open the Downtown Disney shopping district in July, and parts of California Adventure for dining.

Article Posted: Mar 17, 2021 / 11:34am ET

waltography1 hour ago

Here's the screenshot that's being floated around - they did mention that it'd be best to unlink the ticket from the app and link it on the website.

Emmanuel1 hour ago

I think they did something similar with SHDL when they reopened.

CastAStone2 hours ago

100%. No way Disney actually starts day 1 at 25% capacity. In WDW they started around 10% for a few days and worked their way up.

Curious Constance2 hours ago

It’s impossible to see if your tickets are linked to your account on the website. You can link a ticket, but if you already linked them through the app beforehand there is no way to look at that at the website that I can find.

waltography2 hours ago

Don't know the veracity of this, but there's a screenshot going around on Instagram and Facebook from a virtual chat with a Disney rep that has confirmed that all reservations will be done through the website, not the app, and that it's best to ensure your tickets are linked on the website prior to making the reservation. I guess we'll find out on the 12th when those who had tickets prior to the closure will be able to start reserving, but if this is true then I'm disappointed they're not taking advantage of the built-in functionality of reserving dates on your phone that the Flex pass already had.

Captn EO2 hours ago

My prediction, Apr 30 will be light. I could be wrong, all my friends and wife think I am.

Emmanuel3 hours ago

If the restrictions are mostly lifted on June 15th, then likely the mask mandate wouldn't be far behind in being modified to indoor only then eventually being lifted. Will depend on how the state is with the virus then but even with the J&J shortage, CA is likely going to meet that June 15th target. I expect the mask mandate to remain for the summer even in a modified form then lifted after summer when tourism dies down until the holidays.

Curious Constance3 hours ago

Good point! I wonder if people with existing tickets will always have some sort of a jump on reservations or if that’s just at the start that they will do that?

MansionButler844 hours ago

August is nice because DL should open up reservations to out of state people roughly 60 days out from August. While July 4, for example, will allow people from out of state, I wouldn’t risk that. It could sell out before I’m eligible to reserve a date.

Curious Constance4 hours ago

I’ve decided to plan for an August trip and let the dust settle for a few months first. What I wouldn’t give for an indoor only mask mandate by then.

Captn EO10 hours ago

I'd love if opening day Gavin Newsom and Chapek are there to do a dual stand up set. Newsom: "Wow "i've been going here for 13 months straight and it's been completely dead, where'd these crowds come from?" Chapek: Gavin will be joining me for dinner at the French Laundry... Er I mean The French Market. Newsom: Bob and I may be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to opening themeparks, but we can both agree on one thing. Chapek: What's that Gavin? Newsom: That we both have no idea how to do our job.

raven2411 hours ago

Lol.

raven2411 hours ago

Thanks for letting me know.

MansionButler8411 hours ago

Link blocked but there apparently are new CM name tags.