Bob Chapek confirms that Walt Disney World has increased capacity

Nov 12, 2020 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Disney CEO Bob Chapek has today confirmed in an investor earnings call that Disney has increased its operating capacity at the Walt Disney World theme parks.

According to Chapek, Walt Disney World is now operating at 35% of capacity, up from its original reopening capacity of 25%. He went on to say that this is still being achieved within CDC guidelines of 6ft spacing and mandatory use of masks.

Of course, it still remains unclear how the quoted percentages are calculated. There is a significant difference between typical day pre-COVID capacity versus peak day pre-COVID capacity at the parks.

Article Posted: Nov 12, 2020 / 5:05pm ET

Chi841 day ago

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/534228-tech-coalition-working-to-create-digital-covid-19-vaccination-passport A few big names working on this.

trojanjustin5 days ago

The people who did my vaccination were careful to tell me those CDC cards are an official record of the vaccination and not to lose it, as it may be needed one day as the serial numbers for which doses you got and will verify your status, should there be a problem with their records, etc.

Chi845 days ago

I'm afraid of the virus and have been for the better part of a year; I couldn't care less what people make of that fact. I believe Disney will be at the forefront of vaccination requirements. Disney needs (or wants, take your pick) capacity crowds watching fireworks and parades shoulder to shoulder without wearing visual reminders of a contagious disease. Letting in only people who are protected against being infected is the best way to achieve that and to keep its guests safe and healthy.

_caleb5 days ago

I’m still not sure where I stand on vaccination registries and certifications, but I just wanted to thank you for posting “afraid of spreading the virus” rather than something like “afraid of the virus.” That little nuance is important to me. EDIT: Wanted to add that it’s other posters, not you, who often try to uncharitably summarize this position.

Chi845 days ago

We'll figure it out. I laughed out loud when I got to the concerns about social control. In the past year, I've been ordered not to leave my house unless it was absolutely necessary and to wear a mask in public - even outside - if I came within 6 feet of another person. Church services were suspended or severely limited even if you had no access to online services. Restaurants were (and some still are) closed to indoor dining, and I had my temperature taken to get into a furniture store. Businesses in my area have been ordered to implement mask mandates and social distancing. There are lines on the floor telling people which way to walk and where to stand. Gatherings of people from different households were banned or limited. People are not traveling because they are afraid of spreading the virus. The app doesn't hold a candle to the virus when it comes to social control. People can get lazy or make excuses for not doing things they don't like, even if there is no good reason. Requiring proof of vaccination so we can live freely again will give them some incentive.

DisneyDebRob5 days ago

The limited access to the vaccine will solve itself but will take time. The verification will be the biggest problem I think.

Chi845 days ago

The problems they note are limited access to the vaccine and to online verification tools, which are certainly problems that need to be solved. I'm less concerned about people who fear social control; I'm much more worried about controlling the virus and restarting the economy. Others will have different opinions, and governments will just have to work it out.

DisneyDebRob5 days ago

It’s already out there and being used. I know some NY businesses are trying it out. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/technology/coronavirus-vaccine-apps.amp.html The problem, as the article states is creating a world with the haves and have nots with the pass. Somehow, hopefully they can work it all out.

Chi846 days ago

The one my son in law received was not a reminder; it certified completion of the vaccination. But yes, we will definitely have to develop a health pass or immunity passport that certifies people are immune for purposes of travel or going to theme parks, sports events, etc. From what I've read, several companies are working on that technology.

_caleb6 days ago

The “vaccination cards” being given to vaccine recipients are really just handwritten reminders of which vaccine they received and when to come back for the second dose. It is not a certificate, verification, or passport. “A COVID-19 vaccination card won't be the same as an immunity passport. Instead, it'll serve as a reminder to get your second shot of the vaccine. It also details which vaccine you received -- but that's all. It can't be used for any other purpose. Immunity passports have been used in other countries for different diseases, like polio, to give international travelers the OK to travel. The immunity passports would certify that an individual is immune to the coronavirus and can then give people more freedom to travel and socialize in public.” Source

Chi846 days ago

Yes. My son in law is a nurse and received a certificate.

Chi846 days ago

Invest in health pass technology.

Nunu6 days ago

Are people who've been vaccinated not getting a certificate/card? I don't reside in the US, so I wouldn't know.

_caleb6 days ago

This is what I’ve been thinking, too. But I’m not sure how Disney could verify that someone has been vaccinated. They can verify and enforce mask wearing, but for vaccination, seems like they’d just have to take your word for it?