Walt Disney Company fourth quarter 2020 financial results to be released mid-November

Oct 05, 2020 in "The Walt Disney Company"

The Walt Disney Company has announced that it will announce its Q4 financial results after the close of regular trading on November 12 2020.

Disney executives will also take part in a discussion at 4:30pm EST November 12 2020.

This will be the third earnings call following the COVID-19 crisis, and the first since the announcement of mass layoffs affecting 28000 of the company's employees.

Article Posted: Oct 05, 2020 / 1:34pm ET

ParentsOf420 days ago

I'm thinking the same thing. Crowds were noticeable heavier when we went in late September (after Halloween season had started) compared to what they were like when my son went in mid July. He sent me lots of photos with light crowds throughout all 4 parks. Crowds were definitely heavier when I went in late September. Here's a link to my September 2020 trip report, with lots of photos to show what the crowds were like: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-%E2%80%9Cis-it-safe-%E2%80%9D-trip-report.970517/ In November, I went to (mostly) the same parks on the same days and did not notice much of a crowd difference from September. It's not scientific but, for comparison, the following photos were all taken on various Sundays at approximately the same time in the evening. September 2019: July 2020: September 2020: November 2020:

Dan Deesnee20 days ago

Why was my post about increased capacity further exacerbating the already big problem with dining deleted? It was completely on topic. Dinner reservations at even at not very popular to moderately popular places have become hard to get. With distancing requirements in restaurants and many places closed combined with increased capacity this could be a significant reason for guest dissatisfaction going forward, unless something changes. Just go stand outside a quick service place right after they close 2 hours before the park does and listen to the endless stream of ticked off people (I did last night while waiting on my group to show up). Something to the effect of "Well where are we going to get dinner now!?" was heard over and over.

Sirwalterraleigh20 days ago

Welcome to the party, Rip. (Honestly...what did you think you would find? That’s a legit question to answer as I’m curious what how your experience differs from the details we have all watched mostly from afar for months)

Serverfarm21 days ago

Surprise, no wall street types asked about the thousands of Cast Members laid off. A lot of folks are ending their term at Disney over the next 2 months, we're in Q1 (the call was for Q4). Though a good # of Fox/Hulu/DTCI/ESPN/MN folks were let go in Sept. Next round is Feb if the finance/legal guys are in "business as normal" mode. fyi, synergy = layoffs innovation = cutting capex (and reorgs)

Dan Deesnee21 days ago

Down here now. Honestly as much as we love coming, this will be our last trip till the masks are no longer required at all times and the social distancing goes away. Sorry but my kid can no longer eat a frigging cookie while I'm pushing him in the stroller?!? Give me break. Finding a place to eat, especially now with more people in the parks, is rediculously hard. Many restaurants and quick service places close earlier than the parks (tonight Gastons closed at 4pm and Pinocchio closed at 6 while Magic Kingdom closed at 8, they even had most of the food carts closed by 7). Where are you supposed to frigging eat? Well tonight we went to Disney Springs and it was PACKED. We can only eat at the single open resort place to eat so many times before we're sick of it... The above issue stems from social distancing and restaurants operating at half capacity. Add in a 10% bump in guests coming and it's becoming a real problem. The masks are also just brutal in the heat and rain plus these new restrictions are simply ludicrous. Upping capacity and not increasing restaurant hours, at least, or opening up more of the closed restaurants like Ohana and Columbia Harbour House would go a LONG way in spreading out all the people looking for somewhere to eat dinner.

Giss Neric21 days ago

If you watch a lot of Disney Youtubers who goes on a weekly basis you can tell when it took effect. I think when Halloween season started.

JoeCamel21 days ago

Oh Len, you gotta get a new bus driver... Just kidding I know how hard you work to bring us a complete picture of what is happening in the parks. Thanks See above for the source

Sirwalterraleigh21 days ago

Who did you ask? I’ll always remind that no one in Orlando has ANY power. Never will.

Sirwalterraleigh21 days ago

This is actually “literally” what it means: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/synergy

lentesta21 days ago

Either this change happened very recently or Chapek said something that wasn't yet implemented. I've asked two specific people this exact question in the past week, and they both said the parks were at 25%. Also, 35% of EPCOT park capacity is slightly above an average day of pre-pandemic attendance.

GoofGoof21 days ago

Synergy with a merger always means cutting headcount. It’s not a secret buzzword, that’s literally what it means. If I buy a company and I combine it with my operation the synergies come from the duplicate functions I no longer need. At an over simplified level I have 2 CEOs and only need 1 so when I cut the 2nd CEO the cost saving goes down as synergies. Almost every merger of public companies relies on synergies to make it work financially. They aren’t all headcount related, in some cases you can combine corporate headquarters or cut IT maintenance agreements, stuff like that. They will usually quote an amount expected to be saved from synergies but with a large merger it may take years to fully achieve them. I don’t know what the cost synergies related to the Fox deal were or how long they are expected to take to achieve but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they are still seeing cost reductions from it.

Sirwalterraleigh21 days ago

They used “synergy” internally at least 21 years ago (give or take 😉)...it felt “dirty” then...nothing has changed

Lilofan21 days ago

Iger also used the term " synergy" when Disney and Fox did a merger. Not many knew what that meant until layoffs started happening before and during the merger.

ParentsOf421 days ago

Probably not the best comparison but... This is a photo I took on September 27 (Sunday) at about 5 PM. This is my photo from November 8 (Sunday) at about 4 PM.