Bob Iger sheds light on Disney's response to upcoming Universal Epic Universe in Orlando

Apr 03, 2024 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Posted: Wednesday April 3, 2024 2:22pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

At today's Walt Disney Co. Annual Shareholders meeting, Disney CEO Bob Iger was asked about Universal's 2025 opening of Epic Universe in Orlando and how Disney has responded to the competition for theme park guests.

Iger said, "We've been aware of Universal's plans for a new park for more than a decade. And we have a sophisticated approach to analyzing the needs of all of our businesses and strategically deploying capital."

He went on to list recent openings at Walt Disney World, including Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, the EPCOT transformation, and TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom.

Iger continued, "By staggering these major launches, we've been able to commercially and operationally optimize our new offerings over time, rather than having to do it all at once. And based on the guest experience that we've heard all about, from all of these items that I just mentioned, we know that they're extremely popular and they're serving our guests extremely well."

According to Universal, "Epic Universe will present a level of theme park immersion that is unmatched – transporting guests to expansive worlds featuring more than 50 awe-inspiring attraction, entertainment, dining and shopping experiences that come together to create an unforgettable adventure that is nothing short of epic. The addition of Universal Orlando's fourth theme park will also transform the award-winning resort into a weeklong vacation destination filled with even more compelling experiences. "

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

flynnibus9 days ago

Non-sense... if you think employees are just things that just show up regardless of the value of the shift and such patterns have no impact.. you deserve the crappy turnover you will have. Employees have a ROI for a job too... if you ignore that fact, you won't retain employees.

Communicora9 days ago

It's more fun than Smugglers' Run, so they'd better keep it!

JD809 days ago

Put it this way, I have a family of 5 and my WDW trips are massively expensive. I don't know your personal story, but if you're there solo or with a smaller amount of people, then your trips are much cheaper than mine. So you can take that as a trade off! :D

Magenta Panther9 days ago

If they can bring in the Mandalorian, then they can bring in Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia as well.

Magenta Panther9 days ago

What really burns me is that Shanghai gets a new Peter Pan ride, and Tokyo gets a new Peter Pan ride, but we Yanks here in the States are stuck with an old, creaky Peter Pan ride that was built in 1955. Again, it is to weep.

Vegas Disney Fan9 days ago

It’s a shame they don’t add more missions to Falcon, our last trip we did Star Tours and our entire vehicle cheered when the Mandalorian scene started, everyone was so excited, the primary benefit of a screen ride is the same ride can feel totally new.

BrianLo9 days ago

I on the other hand have been an Engineer 80% of the time for strangers and a gunner 15% of the time. I have just once driven, it's getting tiresome.

JD809 days ago

Falcon is one of my favorite rides because being able to sit in the cockpit and pull that lever that gets you into hyperspace is just a :chefkiss: moment for me and my kids that it's almost worth the price of admission in to the park. My family has done Falcon over and over because of that.

BrianLo9 days ago

It just doesn't hold up to re-rides as well as a result. But I agree that my most memorable rides are always with first timers who suck. I think it just needs more missions as its chosen one isn't the greatest profile. One of the other ways to fix it would have them go off script for 20-25% of the run time or so and transfer the flight controls to the other positions briefly. It just really is a dichotomous experience with the positions, unless you are laughing at a loved one drive for the first time. Transferring the flight controls briefly would also lead to even more hilarity.

Nubs709 days ago

For arguments sake, I could get a job that is 9 hours away from home. I could only get an hour from the office. I could get a full time wage and never show up.

JMcMahonEsq9 days ago

No one cares where you decide to live or how long it takes you to drive to work. You get paid for the hours your working

Captain Barbossa9 days ago

The Springs Amazon drone show and the Dora the Explorer Live on…..….I mean Encanto Sing-A-Long coming to Epcot are going to knock your socks off!

yensid679 days ago

4 hour shifts? That would not be worth driving thru Orlando traffic, just to work 4 hours! (I am a former Cast Member also) ALL businesses should start your daily hours when you leave your house to get to work! I am almost ashamed to say I am a former Cast Member with everything that Disney is doing. Thanks to Chapek for throwing Disney down the Rabbit Hole and to DeSantis for trying to be a Authoritarian leader! (that's all I'm saying, Mom)

JMcMahonEsq10 days ago

The absolute insanity of trying to compare construction in the 1930's to now just defies logic. That's setting aside the number of dead and injured during construction