Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon to Walt Disney World beginning with Apple devices

30 days ago in "MyMagic+"

Disney has today announced the long awaited introduction of Disney MagicMobile - the next evolution of Disney MyMagic+ and the successor to the MagicBand.

Launching in phases starting later this year, Disney MagicMobile service is billed as a convenient and contactless way to access MagicBand features like theme park entry through the power of your iPhone, Apple Watch or other smart device. Guests will be able to create a Disney MagicMobile pass through the My Disney Experience app and add it to their smart device’s digital wallet. Most features will be available by just holding up your smart device near an access point, just like you do with a MagicBand. Disney MagicMobile service and its features will roll out first on Apple devices.

Guests may choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand, and can alternate between the two for added flexibility.

The existing digital room key feature will continue to be available specifically within the My Disney Experience app, which helps guests expedite their arrival by using online check-in service, going directly to their Disney Resort hotel room and using their phone to unlock their door. Disney Resort hotel guests may also still pick up a Key to the World card at their convenience by visiting the front desk.

Effective January 1 2021, and as previously announced back in June 2020, MagicBands are no longer provided on a complimentary basis with Disney Resort hotel stays.

Read more on how Walt Disney World's future will evolve from MagicBands to smart devices.

Article Posted: Mar 11, 2021 / 4:26pm ET

mm5220031 minutes ago

The cast member most likely just scans the QR code currently.

donsullivan1 hour ago

Does anyone know if this is ready for Rise of the Resistance boarding pass redemption yet?

BaconPancakes1 day ago

Can’t wait to use my Apple Watch as a magicband!

raymusiccity2 days ago

Nice to see that they'll be rolling this out to us lowly Android users later this month! 🤗

GrumpyFan2 days ago

I would assume this as well. But, I'm not sure how many people realize this, especially those who are accustomed to just using the MagicBands. Disney's web-site for it says the following: Simply hold your iPhone, Apple Watch, or other smart device near an access point when entering the parks [URL='https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/use-magic-mobile/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q2wo0325200014A']or using other available features[/URL], just like you do with a MagicBand. With Express Mode on iPhone and Apple Watch, guests do not even need to wake or unlock their Apple device, or open up the app, to use their Disney MagicMobile pass. As a reminder, valid park admission and a park reservation are required for park entry and must be linked to your account. [/QUOTE]

cmb50022 days ago

Great to hear. Now I just have to hope they eventually expand to Fitbit. As it stands, attaching the magic band puck to my watch is still more convenient. Stinks that I'll have to buy a new one every 2 years to retain ride photos, but maybe they'll get it added to all smart watch systems before that happens.

DCBaker2 days ago

donsullivan4 days ago

Interesting. While I don't stay on-property all that often as a local, I've never received cards but my last stay was in Sept, 2020 before they stopped sending MB's

flutas4 days ago

I actually got cards mailed to me about 2 weeks ago for my upcoming trip. Then magicbands after that (ordered). Surprised me to see them shipping cards.

muteki4 days ago

This was forever ago I think and probably a tickets-only transaction but I have gotten cards in the mail. I just assumed that is what would happen if I declined the 5$ fee they now ask for the bands. Either way, I think I'll be stopping by the front desk as I'm not sure she will appreciate the phone fumbling every day on the way in.

donsullivan4 days ago

I’ve never seen them send cards through the mail the way they did Magic Bands. You should be able to get a card for your tickets and room admission at any Guest Services location or your resort front desk throughout the property? If you‘re admission tickets are showing up in MDE, they’ll be able to issue physical cards easily for you at no charge. Then, if you want to purchase Magic bands, you can do that.

muteki4 days ago

I haven't been back in a couple years but have a trip coming up next week, didn't order magic bands and was expecting cards instead. So it being so soon and nothing in the mail I called to ask what to expect and was told I was supposed to use my app instead and I thought "ok". Some googling later and here I am with an Android phone and no tickets :P Luckily SO has an iPhone that we will try and sort out but I think WDW skipped a step...

durangojim5 days ago

As far as I know we didn't have to do anything. I have "allow app to refresh in background" set under settings on my iphone but I didn't open the app before the ride.

Surferboy5676 days ago

Interesting, you didn’t have to do anything? Keep the app open in the background? Did it just automatically link up with your pass in Apple Wallet? I know you have to enable bluetooth but besides that is any action required? Besides picking which photo is yours of course.