Permits filed to begin Tron construction at the Magic Kingdom

Jan 19, 2018 in "Tron Lightcyle Run rollercoaster"

Posted: Friday January 19, 2018 8:43am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has filed permits for the early-stage site preparation of the upcoming Tron coaster at the Magic Kingdom.

Although we aren't likely to see the actual ride being built for some time, we should soon be seeing ground clearing and site preparation work in Tomorrowland.

On this plan, MK2 refers to the TRON coaster in the upper right, which can be seen as sitting right behind the Speedway and Space Mountain.

Disney is yet to announce an opening date for Tron at Walt Disney World, but we expect to see it debut in the Spring of 2021.

corran horn6 days ago

I can see the billboards now...NAHTAHSKUL

Bocabear6 days ago

In regards to Tomorrowland, I think as a society our view of "The Future" ceases to be an inspiring vision of a technologically advanced , beautiful world, and is more about wars, violence and darkness ( with technology) How do we as a society turn that around to imagine a future world to aspire to...an inspirational view of the future... That seems to be what is lost today... We can't get there....

Surferboy5676 days ago

Sure, I agree with this. Not sure why but EPCOT just has a different vibe to it that I associate with Discovery then just about any other Disney Park maybe it’s the heavy emphasis on humanity. I do agree it can be used as a loose construct to fit any theme.

Brer Oswald6 days ago

It’s “learning” but there was a shared theme of humanity between the World Showcase and Future World. The all encompassing “theme” of Discovery isn’t really a theme at all. It’s something that can be applied to any Disney park.

Surferboy5676 days ago

The concept of learning has been apart of EPCOT since the beginning (not of recently). I am merely doing a bit of armchair Imagineering. Also...World Discovery is what I mean.

Brer Oswald6 days ago

Discovery of what? How many T Shirts, Plush toys and mugs I can buy in a single visit?

UNCgolf6 days ago

It's not like that anymore, though -- Space Mountain is the only thing that fits that idea. The Speedway was never futuristic, and stuff like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and Buzz Lightyear have nothing to do with any vision of the future.

Surferboy5676 days ago

Not about school, about Discovery

Brer Oswald6 days ago

That’s what I want, but that’s not what it is. The futurism of the 50s was so far out there that it will never be reached. At least, not in the way it was expected.

Brer Oswald6 days ago

I consider Epcot more of a park about humanity than I do a park about school.

GimpYancIent6 days ago

Tomorrowland evolved at a time when 20 years into the future was 1984. I see Tomorrowland as a snapshot of how people at one time (in the now past) viewed the future. No to change it to a view of how the current generation views the up coming future would destroy that unique small view of that history.

Surferboy5676 days ago

I think the main cast of Hiro and Co, being interested in science though the school and such works well in EPCOT. If it’s just Baymax though we are in agreement.

Brer Oswald6 days ago

Baymax the robot fits fine in Tomorrowland. Baymax the robot. Not Big Hero 6. Not Sanfransokyo. Not Hiro. Not the school. I think the gameplan for IP in Tomorrowland should be specific concepts and characters that fit in line with futurism. Book report areas and rides? No. But they’ll do whatever they want.

SplashZander6 days ago

The spinner wouldn't take up the whole plot. A pond with fountains underneath the people mover supports would be gorgeous with Tron in the background.