Tomorrowland Speedway closing for 5 months to re-route track around Tron

Oct 04, 2018 in "Tomorrowland Speedway"

Posted: Thursday October 4, 2018 8:28am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Tomorrowland Speedway will be closing early in the new year to begin the re-routing of track to make way for the addition of the Tron coaster.

Current plans call for the ride to close on January 2 2019 through to May 17, with a reopening to guests on May 18 2019. Disney has said it will open as the same ride, but with adjusted track.

The Walt Disney World Railroad will also temporarily take up residence at the Main Street Station starting in December 2018, pausing its grand-circle tours of Magic Kingdom Park. During this time, you will be able to get an up-close look at the railroad and take advantage of one-of-a-kind photo opportunities.

View all current and upcoming Walt Disney World refurbishments.

Mr. Moderate14 days ago

First off thank you and as a fan of the parks and wanting to improve them where it can be done, this has been on my mind. For years I have wished that something along the lines of what Hong Kong did with their Speedway was done in WDW. In fact every time I pass by the Speedway when at MK and see the current state of it, I ask myself why can't it be done and it doesn't make sense to me to not at least improve the aesthetics of the ride area. Get a sponsor like Honda too and see about updating the cars and making them cleaner and quiet if possible. I've watched quite a few videos go the ride at Hong Kong and love what they did out there with their version of it.

Bocabear14 days ago

It is surprising that the bridge and backstage areas were never dealt with... They could have done a lot more with the train scenery... It is a huge attraction and a huge part of the park's history that they continue to ignore... There should be a lot more set dressing along the route...and things that would be great after dark as well... The Speedway . now that it is smaller than ever, really needs sets like other incarnations have had... Even if it is as simple as the botanical settings they used in Hong Kong...

marni197115 days ago

Vintage 1971? One of the phase one conundrums.

MansionButler8415 days ago

Still better than that unthemed bridge...

thomas99815 days ago

Would a retheme of speedway really be anything beyond different cars? And if that is all it is going to be they could do that overnight.

Captain Barbossa19 days ago

New rails at Fantasyland Station have been laid out and spiked into place. Track is starting to get re-ballasted.

ppete197524 days ago

With some of the irreplaceable stuff that you have I hope you have a great backup system in place. you dont want to end up like the simpsons (12 episodes).. family guy.... the incredibles ILM or the muppets...... https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/company/data-recovery-hall-of-fame/

Disone24 days ago

I thought I read the howling has been restored. The railroad announcements were there at all the stations up until the day the railroad closed. I'm sure once reopens you'll hear it again. That said I'm beginning to suspect the railroad will not open until shortly before Tron light cycle run opens. So we're probably a good year or more away from being able to hear there was a nonsense.

aladdin200724 days ago

nowww approaching main street station......alll aboardddddd....I really miss this, the park is being voided of too many details like that, even before the closure Im not sure that was even being used??...we cant even have the haunted mansion howling effect outside anymore.

Movielover25 days ago

I think we all just need to let off some steam...

Disone25 days ago

Yes this is a tender topic. It's hard to gauge for sure if they are still on track. Not sure how to switch this or at least put it to bed.

Movielover26 days ago

Construction is really going off the rails here... 😜

mergatroid26 days ago

New E Ticket 'Train Disaster, The Ride' :cool:

Unbanshee26 days ago

I've heard the same. Turns out that the track is currently missing