Legendary Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter and creator of Splash Mountain comments on its transformation into Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Apr 12, 2023 in "Tiana's Bayou Adventure"

Tiana's Bayou Adventure construction - April 10 2023
Posted: Wednesday April 12, 2023 1:30pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Update 7:00-pm April 12 - The comments by Tony Baxter referenced in the LA Times article were from 2020, and are not new.

In an article by the Los Angeles Times, legendary Walt Disney Imagineer and creator of Splash Mountain Tony Baxter comments on the ride's transformation into Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Baxter told the LA Times, "When Splash Mountain came to life over 30 years ago, the wave of Disney Animation that started with 'The Little Mermaid' had not yet begun. New stories would give us characters, music and wonderful places that now reside in the hearts of audiences everywhere. Following conversations with Imagineering's leaders about the new attraction's scope and resources, I had a great sense of reassurance — the attraction will be one to be proud of ... bringing to life places, characters and music from the animated classic 'The Princess and the Frog.'" You can read more at the LA Times.

The comments come alongside news today that Splash Mountain will close at Disneyland on May 30, and the unveiling of more details about Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

ToTBellHop4 minutes ago

I was banned temporarily from the DAS thread so, yes, they do.

Drew the Disney Dude22 minutes ago

They were filming the other night, and I would not be shocked to see a POV drop within a week before previews so the official footage is first. I'm trying to get more confirmation on this, and if I'm able to share it, I will. I'd take this as an unofficial spoiler warning, just in case.

UNCgolf1 hour ago

OLC spent 4-5x as much money building DisneySea as Disney spent building California Adventure. That's why. California Adventure was built for $600 million. DisneySea was built for 335 billion yen, which in 2000-2001 would be the equivalent of roughly $2.8 billion.

Incomudro2 hours ago

I love your posts! Your humor isn't lost on me, and you are not one of the trolls.

Incomudro2 hours ago

I had never seen the film either. When this retheme was official, I decided to watch it for homework. I figured I shouldn't judge the validity or lock thereof for using that movie for this ride if I didn't watch the movie. I was happily surprised how enjoyable the film was, and how great it and the songs could work for this ride. It gave me a lot of hope.

𝕴𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖗972 hours ago

I sure hope you’re not talking about me. I just made a joke and everyone’s flying off the handle.

Mikomike123 hours ago

Another day of being confused why certain people are still allowed on this forum after weeks of trolling. Does this website even have a ban feature for moderators? Why does this site allow this behavior time and time again? Purging the same conversations over and over again does nothing, get these people out of here

Epcot81Fan3 hours ago

Actually only takes a few minutes to catch up here, but thanks for asking! Oh, and I'm not offended ;)

Sir_Cliff4 hours ago

Where are we on being a functioning adult and spending a significant portion of your day trolling Disney fan boards?

Surferboy5674 hours ago

I’m super surprised we haven’t really gotten a clear view of any of the show scenes yet. I’m sure with as impressive AA’s as this seems to have they will be great, just thought they’d show them off.

TalkToEthan4 hours ago

In 2001 Disney opened a park in California, in asinine fashion, with a California theme creating mass ridicule and embarrassment. Months later in fall of 2001 Tokyo(OLC) opened Disney Sea to raving reviews. What would account for this staggering difference in quality? Did imagineers have a lot of influence in the direction of each park or overall themes?

flyerjab4 hours ago

So true. It all comes down to money. Disney Imagineers support all the resorts. The business culture of OLC clearly prioritizes quality, not just profit. And I know that Disney is a different company in terms of scope and variety of products. But man, imagine what these parks would look like with OLC, their profit margins and their commitment to quality.

James Alucobond4 hours ago

Right, but the assertion that Tokyo will automatically have better scenes because Tokyo always has more skill behind it is false. The same pools of people design attractions for Disney parks everywhere, some certainly more or less talented, as you say. But the differentiator is more OLC's commitment to doing things right and spending what that takes, not that they have exclusive access to special Imagineers.

TalkToEthan5 hours ago

Right………. but they still have another card to play: attack the credibity/authority of those who have not experienced first hand.