Disney makes securing a boarding group for Star Wars Rise of the Resistance much more convenient

Oct 29, 2020 in "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance"

Disney's Hollywood Studios will be introducing a new Virtual Queue process for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance beginning November 3 2020.

• Guests with a valid ticket or annual pass and a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system and check for an available boarding group starting at 7am on the day of their park reservation. This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.

• The virtual queue will reopen daily at 2pm for anyone who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day. Note: Guests must be inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access this second virtual queue opportunity, and access to a boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed.

Disney says that it is hoping this new approach will make a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios more enjoyable and relaxing, as guests no longer need to be inside the park each morning to request a boarding group for the first virtual queue opportunity.

The existing process sees most guests racing to enter the park and glued to their phones from 9:15am to 10am awaiting the 10 second window to open at 10am to secure a reservation. The process if often followed by audible cheers or groans depending on the outcome.

Article Posted: Oct 29, 2020 / 1:07pm ET

DCBaker13 hours ago

Looks like the Now Boarding Group status should be back today -

Touchdown13 hours ago

It’s always there, you have to use an accurate clock to determine when it’s 7 am. You dont need to refresh the page.

Rosso1113 hours ago

Thanks for this. My only question is when you are on step 6 does the blue button automatically appear at 7AM on its own or do you need to keep refreshing for the button to appear? Thanks

Touchdown13 hours ago

How I got boarding group 12 twice last month: 1. Have a strong data signal 2. Have another time piece to track the seconds exactly 3. I still turned my phone off and on 5 minutes before 4. When booted back up I opened the app, clicked on the join button. 5. On the next page I clicked on the blue “My queues” in the upper right to get to this page: 6. At exactly 7am and not before, click the blue button 7. On the next page all members of your party with park reservations will be automatically checked, so as quickly as possible click the Join button and await the arrival of the Astromech and what group you got. You have approximately 8 seconds, good luck.

AL2000HS16 hours ago

I don't know for certain but when they originally switch from BG to estimate... It could be that people were gathering around the ride entrance and causing too much bottle necking waiting for their group?

Tom Morrow20 hours ago

I haven't tried to ride since they implemented the 7:00 AM rule. What's the scoop? What's the best strategy these days to get a boarding pass?

disneygeek901 day ago

Yes the ETA was still working so that’s better than nothing if you’re in park, but hopefully normal features are added back soon.

gerarar1 day ago

Ah I was mistaken with someone’s screenshot here. It (the app) only shows an estimated return time, not the current BGs-called. All I can think of is that they shut off that feature entirely from the backend or it’s simply a bug. The API did not even update for how long the virtual queue was open for today (for both drops) so maybe it’s gone for good. Hopefully not tho.

disneygeek901 day ago

If I remember correctly, the app did something similar when they first updated the BG process. Hoping that it’s just a bug they need to pull back through. There are the groups called on wait signs around the park but it’s not ideal to hunt those down in the middle of your day to figure out if you should get in line for another ride or if you’re about to be called. I was evacuated a little after 10am, right after transport pre show. It was down for about an hour and I was off the ride at 11:20.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad1 day ago

That's not good. If you don't know what group they're on at a particular time of the day, how do you guestimate what you have time to accomplish before your BG is called. This would be especially an issue for those who have no familiarity with the average number of BGs called at any point during the day (i.e., ppl not lucky enough to have had a @DCBaker in their pocket for the last several months). Thanks for all your hard work DCBaker, it really has been helpful. Hopefully someone can figure out what changed and we're able to see your posts again! As an aside, I just check the app after reading posts by @venkmen and @NelleBelle. The app said RotR is "Temporarily Closed", but now looks like things are up and running with the "Use Virtual Queue Only" message.

disneygeek901 day ago

I can’t even see the progress currently with a group. It just notified me I was called.

disneygeek901 day ago

First groups were called at 8:45 today. I know that because I’m group 6 😝 They did give until 10am return window, which is a full hour after open. I think this is better for the first groups.

venkmen1 day ago

When opening MDE under the ROR tab their is a Join button that takes you to the ROR virtual que page currently that page says the virtual que is not enrolling people and check back with tomorrow at 0700 or 1300. When I refreshed this page 5 seconds before 7 this morning it never gave me a Join button to press. Just went straight to all boarding groups are taken and to check back. Did the same process at 1300 and everything worked fine. not sure what happened this morning - just going to chalk it up to being unlucky I guess.

NelleBelle2 days ago

Wait. I'm confused (quite easy for me). When I go into "Virtual Queues", I always have the blue button to "join queue" regardless of what time it is. When I hit "join", then it tells me that RotR is not currently enrolling additional guests. So when you tried at 7am, the join button wasn't there?? I'm planning to not use WiFi when attempting, but now I'm nervous 😬