Star Wars Rise: of the Resistance to pause virtual queue and use a standby line for the first time in its history

Sep 16, 2021 in "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance"

Lightning Lane signage at Star Wars Rise of the Resistance
Posted: Thursday September 16, 2021 3:07pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has announced that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will pause its virtual queue and use a traditional standby line for the first time in its history.

The switch from virtual queue to standby only becomes effective September 23 2021.

Disney said, "We know our guests love choice and flexibility when planning their time in a theme park—which is why, starting Sept. 23, we will pause the use of virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, and guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios may experience this incredible attraction using a traditional standby queue for the first time since it opened in 2019.

Virtual queues continue to be helpful with attraction access, merchandise launches, grand openings and more, and guests should continue to check the My Disney Experience app for the latest on how we’re using virtual queues across Walt Disney World Resort including its potential use at Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at a later date, or from time to time."

When Disney Genie launches, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be one of the attractions that makes use of Lighting Lane, with paid access to enter the line. It appears that this pause in the virtual queue may be to prepare for the new system, or to give guests a chance to experience the attraction prior to the upcoming changes.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance has made use of the virtual queue since it opened in 2019. Boarding Groups typically reach capacity within seconds of being opened each day.

plawren23 days ago

we are staying on site, so could simply take bus from resort at 7am

DKampy4 days ago

I find if you get line. 15 minutes before park closing…you will wait less than 15 minutes

RoadiJeff5 days ago

Unless you have an Uber dropping you off they will not even let you into the parking lot before 7:30am. We discovered that the other morning as we had to circle around and stop 1/2 mile up the road from the parking toll gate with our flashers on, acting like we had car trouble, until 7:30. Several other vehicles were doing the same thing. Yes, RotR could go down at 9:30am but it has a much better chance of coming back up sometime later in the day than if someone waits until 2 hours before the park closes before jumping in line and having it go down then. I personally wouldn't (and didn't) risk it. The other 6 people in our group had never experienced RotR and they thoroughly loved it.

plawren25 days ago

we will see, also could go down at 930a while in a two hour wait... if it goes down later in day and we missing riding, so be it...nothing we can do about that.... but I don't see us getting to park gate at 7am for a 830a opening, fighting mass of hundreds to the entrance while hoping not to still have 90 min wait.

RoadiJeff5 days ago

Good luck with that. I was in the park all day yesterday and saw the standby line go from 80 minutes at 8:45 all the way up to 160 minutes, which wasn't that far off our actual wait of 155 minutes at 9:10. I also saw RotR go down several times in the early evening. It came back up but I've seen it go down and stay down once it goes down in the evening. Evening hours were 90+ minutes when it was running.

plawren26 days ago

nope, we get access into park at 830a but already seeing immediate wait of 2 hrs, willing to take chance we can ride in early evening with one hr or less wait

RoadiJeff7 days ago

It's only a 2 hour wait if you're toward the back of the initial crowd rush. We are going to be standing at the gate by 7:30am tomorrow for the 9:00am opening. I know the early opening resort park guests will already be in there but it won't be as bad as if we waited until the park opens to everyone before showing up. We stood in line at 4:00am the first week when RotR initially opened, so I'm used to early morning waits for this fabulous attraction. Whatever it takes to get it done.

plawren27 days ago

except not interested in the crowd rush and then 2 hour wait-and it could still go down

RoadiJeff7 days ago

You're risking having it go down only to not be back for the rest of the evening. I've seen it happen several times recently. I will be visiting HS tomorrow (Wednesday) and our original plan was to wait until later in the day for RotR. Now, we're going to get in line as soon as we arrive to be sure and not miss it.

plawren28 days ago

I think this will be our strategy in mid November

RoadiJeff10 days ago

Thanks for the RotR updates. I'm flying to Disney, leaving in about 5 hours (flight leaves at 6:00am), and I'll soon get to experience firsthand the new standby line queue. It's good to read that the posted wait times on the Disney Experience map are somewhat inflated. I had the virtual queue boarding group routine down pretty good with a few tricks I discovered but I guess I can toss that to the side. However, it can still come in handy for a boarding pass to Remy's on the day I visit Epcot.

BoardwalkGlenn11 days ago

I was in HS on Tuesday with the plan of going to RotR in the evening. At one point it was down but did come back again. Got in line somewhere between 6:30-7pm with an 80 minute posted wait time but it ended up being 35 minutes.

Cesar R M11 days ago

I rode it right before the "night spectacular". They were closing the area... was a walk on despite saying 30 minutes wait time.

Cesar R M11 days ago

Just came back from my trip, can confirm.. almost all the people were on mine train, mermaid and the shopping. Almost all rides were sub 30 minute waits. Longest wait was on mermaid, seems everyone went there after dwarves went down for the second time.