Replacement for IllumiNations Reflections of Earth confirmed to debut in 2019

Sep 17, 2018 in "IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth"

Posted: Monday September 17, 2018 3:06pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has today announced a timeline for the replacement of Epcot's nightly firework spectacular IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

Reflections of Earth will play through to the end of summer 2019, with the new show to debut immediately following the conclusion of "IllumiNations."

No other details were provided, but various sources have indicated to us that drones will be part of the new show, and expect to see familiar Disney characters and stories as part of the show.

Reflections of Earth debuted in October 1999 as part of the Walt Disney World Millennium Celebration, and carried forward the long standing tradition of the IllumiNations nighttime spectacular.

vikescaper4 hours ago

I think lighting up the country for the corresponding song would be a great idea and a great nod to the original IllumiNations. I was also thinking what if they put images from the corresponding country on the tacos and stargate instead of images from the movie.

DKampy7 hours ago

I must say….I have been here all week the general audiences seem to digging it…they give off a very different vibe than those that post here…I have been asked a few times if I had seen it and wasn’t It great…people seem to love it…From my vantage point it Is a hit

Giss Neric11 hours ago

Do you think if half of the songs in Harmonious were not already used in HEA then much more people would appreciate it?

FigmentForever9613 hours ago

I thought the same about lightning up the countries, probably a needed touch and the show could’ve used some nice transitions. I was a ROE die hard. I went to the final shows and screamed murdered knowing what was coming. So I’m shocked I avtually liked it

trainplane313 hours ago

There it is, the thing that bothers me the most. Well that and it playing it's entire hand of surprises in the first 90 seconds, how the pavilions only get lit up in the beginning section for a quick bit, and using the new Epcot theme two times about 10 seconds each. More then anything that soundtrack needs help though. It's as bad as RoL: We Are One when it comes to transitions.

bcoachable13 hours ago

I’m really glad to hear people, such as yourself, are enjoying it. The theme of “we’re all in this together” is evident- I sure think the storytelling giant, that is Disney, could have woven it together in a better way- such as was mentioned- light up the country the song is representing- so simple, yet would have been a cool nod to each pavilion/song.

FigmentForever9614 hours ago

I seriously wanted to hate this show with every fiber of my being, I really did. I still can’t forgive the mess that sits all day in the lagoon but this soundtrack is beautiful. The whole idea that nighttime shows need a “story” need to be successful is, an opinion that anyone deserves the right too, but a poor one in my mind. Fantasy in the Sky was nothing but musical arrangements that went on for decades and nobody fussed. Correct me If I’m wrong but storytelling didn’t start happening till Fantasmic! With Illumnations: ROE and Wishes not coming along till 2000 and beyond. the show has an overreaching theme that were all connected through song. One could argue they shouldn’t have used Disney songs sure, but that, in its own way, is beautiful. That songs from these Disney films are heard and sung across countries of the world and that somehow makes us all feel a bit closer. The show isn’t perfect by any means, it does kinda song hop but overall the tech, scores and pyro are all beautiful. I kinda hate myself for liking it so much but I think I’ve played the soundtrack daily now driving to work.

Magic Feather15 hours ago

So I think I finally nailed down my biggest issue with the show: half of the songs belong in other parks. I’m not actually looking up the playlist, so I’m probably going to miss a segment, but out of all of them, I’d really only consider Coco, Mulan, Hunchback, and I can make the case for Brave and Aladdin (given the arrangements used) as IP associated with the park. Perhaps the biggest offenders were the Lion King and Jungle Book, which are really the two IP’s most associated with DAK (which now can’t have an IP based show without overlap). Plus, unlike how HEA used the obscure That’s What Friends are For and Mufasa Monologue to get a pass, this uses some of the songs most prominent from the film. Also, Tiana and Beauty and the Beast definitely belonged in MK. It just felt like a popular Disney song highlight reel with no care put into what park it’s in and what IPs are associated with the park. Now, I know there’s a lot of “this show should even have IP” and, while fair, I don’t see us getting another one of those for a while, if ever. So, as kind of a finale, my armchair playlist for a Harm type show. Scrap the opening number and replace it with Vuelie from Frozen. The few seconds that songs is featured in the opening really set the tone well. Replace the sunrise with the Northern Lights and your good. Same Format with the individual segments except fewer cuts to black, using the following IP’s (and light up the stinking country it represents while you do it): Coco, Mulan, Pinocchio or Lady+Tramp, Aladdin, Hunchback+Rat, Brave. Finish it off with a finale song that’s actually original. Someday is a nice song but I found it’s lyrics to be a tad… basic? Not sure if ending it on a reflective note with a slower song aka Harm and RoE is the right move; it doesn’t really match the tone of the show to be honest. Anyways, there are my extended thoughts that nobody asked for.

drew8118 hours ago

Zach “The Talentless Hack” has a nice ring to it. Keep him away from Fantasmic.

Dizknee_Phreek18 hours ago

Boy, do I feel this in every part of my soul. I'm also mid-30s and my family also went to WDW every year at least once a year. So I too grew up with those classic 90s Disney movies with the iconic songs, but also with Disney parks that FELT Disney without cramming Disney products down your throat. You are my people ❤️

Squishy1 day ago

The laser effect above the "compass" has been broken for the past 2 days.

wtyy211 day ago

I agree. Assuming that Chapek is not Disney Parks or TWDC chairman, Davison would be free to concepting a Disney nighttime spectacular based on his ideas. Davison even can make a true concept art of the 50th anniversary fireworks of the MK (The name can be still Enchantment, but instead showcasing past and present rides/attractions/shows on four WDW parks and films related to them), which is more similar to RDCT, Celebrate! TDL, 1999 FitS, and EF.

Rescue Ranger1 day ago

Watched Harmonious tonight....how is anyone complaining about this? It was FANTASTIC!! Don't judge it until you see it in person. Much more impressive.

Tom Morrow2 days ago

Steve is not blameless. All of his work has been like this, but this is the worst one so far.