Walt Disney Chief Corporate Affairs Officer unintentionally announces opening date for EPCOT's 'Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind'

Feb 23, 2022 in "Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind"

Posted: Wednesday February 23, 2022 8:51pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

According to a now-deleted post on Twitter by a high-ranking Disney executive, EPCOT's Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind will open on Memorial Day 2022.

The announcement was made by a new face at the Walt Disney Company, the Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, Geoff Morrell. Geoff has been in the newly created Chief Corporate Affairs Officer role for only a month and reports directly to Disney CEO Bob Chapek.

Posted this evening, the original Tweet said, "Just another day at the office—got to "test ride" the new @Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster at @EpcotCentre. @WaltDisneyCo Imagineers designed this one like no other ride you've ever been on. Have to ride it to believe it! Check it out starting Memorial Day weekend!"

The revised post was quickly edited to replace the Memorial Day weekend comment with "Coming soon!"

A May 30 2022 opening date does not come as a surprise. Disney has often used Memorial Day weekend as a key date in its summer marketing drives. The company will be expecting the new rollercoaster to push attendance at EPCOT and Walt Disney World throughout the summer and beyond.

Assuming Geoff Morrell's original tweet was accurate, we should expect an official opening announcement very shortly. If the opening pattern of Remy's Ratatouille Adventure is repeated, we should also expect various levels of previews before May 30 for Cast Members, Annual Passholders, Disney Vacation Club, D23, and Club 33 members.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

osian13 days ago

Yeah, the way Disney operates them, they aren't really VQs. It's just a booking to enter the standby line at a particular time. It prevents the standby queue getting ridiculously long, as they can control how many join at a particular time, but then again I feel that standby lines are mostly self-regulating. There will be an average queue time beyond which the average guest will not bother. The way they operate FP/Genie+/LL is more like a real VQ!

HauntedMansionFLA13 days ago

They need to do away with the VQ. But then you can see the wait times for Tron and Trash Mountain which would be embarrassing for the company.

LSLS13 days ago

So, one thing I noticed from our trip, people were REALLY angry with the Virtual Que. Our group had a later boarding (we were the only ones who had done this before). They had a 5:00 boarding initially, then watched it keep going up til 7:30. I understand it happens with VQ, but they, as people who had never done this before, were getting upset that they had to keep cancelling plans because it kept changing. Then, we get in line at 7:30, and we are off the ride at 9:15, missing almost all the fireworks. There were a TON of frowns coming off at that point for what I'm assuming is the same reason. Why have a VQ if you are then waiting in line for 1.5 hours anyways? I'm guessing they were just cramming everyone in at the end of the night because they had issues during the day, but it may be time to pull out of these VQs.

Jambo Dad16 days ago

Terry Crews is great in everything!

Hawkeye_201820 days ago

Finally got to ride this. Very fun and lived up to the hype. My only complaint was Rocket's voice was noticeably not the same. Even more so than Mission Breakout

doctornick20 days ago

Why is it regularly going in seconds these days after it has been around for so long and crowds are reportedly lower. I don’t think it’s just from Test Tract being closed, is it? It’s interesting seeing how long the windows were a year ago.

osian26 days ago

I completely agree, it's my favourite part, especially towards the back of the train. That helix is so cleverly designed.

TrainsOfDisney26 days ago

I definitely get your point but that’s only if you compare lower budget universal attractions - higher budget attractions like Mummy, all of the Potter Attractions, even Transformers are much more impressive to me.

Professortango126 days ago

I think, for me, it's because the ride is pretty straightforward. It's a fun Disney-level coaster with projection screens like Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace Mountain. It's fun to ride, but not a lot of scenes or elements to discuss. It feels very Universal Studios to me. Fun, fine, but kind of thin and "good enough." The show building, queue, and gift shop got the focus because they feel like the only tangible parts of the attraction..

Bill in Atlanta26 days ago

I was reading old posts from around the soft opening, and this is the one I disagree with the most. I'm convinced the slingshot around the moon is a top-3 coolest effect in all of WDW history, and I've been going since the early 80s! I was also amused that most of the posts from around that time centered on the gift shop appearing too bland and whether the exit being plain was good or part of the theme. This despite a few people had actually been on the ride already and were talking about how fun it was. Nobody was replying to them or asking questions about the ride; it was mostly arguing over insignificant details that had nothing to do with the actual ride 🤣 Gotta love this place..

DunstonMay 22, 2024

When will it finally leave Virtual Queue? It's been 2 years...

flyerjabApr 30, 2024

Ha! Just announced restarting.

wbostic12Apr 30, 2024

Right now in hallway after final preshow. All music is off, any updates from the load? EDIT:Now “temporarily closed” on MDE