'A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King' at Disney's Animal Kingdom significantly impacted as staffing levels remain challenging

Jan 15, 2022 in "Festival of the Lion King"

A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
Posted: Saturday January 15, 2022 10:22am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

'A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King' is facing significant staffing issues as the current surge of COVID-19 continues to force some Walt Disney World Cast Members to remain home.

Today, there are only four shows scheduled according to My Disney Experience, at 1pm, 2pm, 4pm and 5pm. There usually are eight shows on a Saturday.

Tomorrow also sees a significant decrease, with only five shows scheduled instead of eight.

Tuesday January 18 appears to be the hardest hit, with just three shows scheduled, at 10am, 11am, and 12pm.

Check My Disney Experience for the latest showtimes and changes.

Disney recently adjusted its COVID quarantine guidelines for cast members at Walt Disney World to follow the latest guidelines from the CDC which reduces isolation from 10 to 5 days, and requires the use of a mask for 5 days on return to work. However, even with this change, keeping enough cast available to operate the parks at current capacity is difficult.

wdwmagic2 days ago

That was my thought exactly.

Nick_A2 days ago

I really hope it’s not because they don’t want to pay the cast the overnight “premium” for those rehearsals, but it wouldn’t shock me if that were the reason.

Doug Means2 days ago

YES! YES! YES!!!

Touchdown2 days ago

But what about the fact that half the cast would also be preforming during the day (Timon, dancers, singers) I’m sure that runs afoul of union rules. While I guess one cast could do it at a time, running half shows during the 4th also sounds like a disaster for park ops.

wdwmagic2 days ago

Typically though at WDW that would be done during overnights. I don't really see why this needs a 10 day closure.

nicb882 days ago

I know… No need to go on the defensive… I’m just expressing my disappointment at missing the show.

Anteater2 days ago

Loved that! Thanks for sharing. Definitely needed it after this weeks events! Why don't the the "tumble monkeys" look like the ones following Lucy? 🤣

celluloid3 days ago

I can't connect that song to WDW without this classic bit.

raymusiccity3 days ago

🎵 Yes, we have no bananas !! 🎵

rumcat3 days ago

Well…they’ve got to rehearse.

Bastet3 days ago

Oh well, I can give this a miss in June. Tumble monkeys are the best part of the show for me. I was hoping they would be back for my trip.😔

nicb883 days ago

Rather disappointed to hear of such a long closure as it pretty much covers my entire trip and with the problem changing park/dining reservations it’s really tough to reorganise to include it 😅

DCBaker3 days ago