'Festival of the Lion King' will return to Disney's Animal Kingdom in July following a 10-day closure to update the show

May 24, 2022 in "Festival of the Lion King"

A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2022 10:30am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The tumble Monkeys and flying birds are returning to the Harambe Theatre as the 'Festival of the Lion King' at Disney's Animal Kingdom returns on July 16 2022.

The modified 'A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King' will close at the end of July 4, with the 'Festival of the Lion King' beginning July 16 2022. No shows will be performed July 5 through 15. When the show reopens on July 16, Genie+ access via the Lightning Lane will continue as before.

The tumble monkeys are a team of acrobats that adds a lot of energy to the show and are especially popular with the younger members of the audience. Although the show will be called by its original name, the audience participation elements will not be back in the show from July 16, but may return later.

The return of A Festival of the Lion King in May 2021 was a significant moment for Walt Disney World's entertainment department and its return to the parks followed the pandemic closures. Although in a modified format, it was the first time that large numbers of guests were indoors for a show.

wdwmagic31 days ago

That was my thought exactly.

Nick_A31 days ago

I really hope it’s not because they don’t want to pay the cast the overnight “premium” for those rehearsals, but it wouldn’t shock me if that were the reason.

Doug Means31 days ago

YES! YES! YES!!!

Touchdown31 days ago

But what about the fact that half the cast would also be preforming during the day (Timon, dancers, singers) I’m sure that runs afoul of union rules. While I guess one cast could do it at a time, running half shows during the 4th also sounds like a disaster for park ops.

wdwmagic31 days ago

Typically though at WDW that would be done during overnights. I don't really see why this needs a 10 day closure.

nicb8831 days ago

I know… No need to go on the defensive… I’m just expressing my disappointment at missing the show.

Anteater31 days ago

Loved that! Thanks for sharing. Definitely needed it after this weeks events! Why don't the the "tumble monkeys" look like the ones following Lucy? 🤣

celluloid31 days ago

I can't connect that song to WDW without this classic bit.

raymusiccity31 days ago

🎵 Yes, we have no bananas !! 🎵

rumcat31 days ago

Well…they’ve got to rehearse.

BastetMay 24, 2022

Oh well, I can give this a miss in June. Tumble monkeys are the best part of the show for me. I was hoping they would be back for my trip.😔

nicb88May 24, 2022

Rather disappointed to hear of such a long closure as it pretty much covers my entire trip and with the problem changing park/dining reservations it’s really tough to reorganise to include it 😅

DCBakerMay 24, 2022