Hands-on with Walt Disney World's MagicBand replacement - MagicMobile on iPhone and Apple Watch

Mar 22, 2021 in "MyMagic+"

Disney MagicMobile screenshots
Posted: Monday March 22, 2021 4:07pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

MagicMobile, Disney's iPhone and Apple Watch MagicBand replacement, is now available for some guests at Walt Disney World via a recent update to the My Disney Experience app.

Disney MagicMobile service is billed as a convenient and contactless way to access MagicBand features like theme park entry through the power of your iPhone, Apple Watch and coming later - Android devices. Most features will be available by just holding up your smart device near an access point, just like you do with a MagicBand. You can choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand, and can alternate between the two for added flexibility.

The setup process is incredibly easy. Using the official My Disney Experience app, you choose which guests in your account to setup for MagicMobile access.

Next you get to choose a virtual pass style - which is the pass that will be displayed in your device wallet. There are lots of designs, including park specific, passholder and even favorite park food offerings.

The final step is adding the pass to the Wallet app, where My Disney Experience transfers your pass to the digital wallet on your iPhone and Apple Watch.

The pass works without waking up the device or using FaceID or TouchID, and can also work when out of usable battery life.

And here is what it looks like in the Wallet app on Apple Watch. The Apple Watch version is animated, and shows off some nice shimmering effects.

And this is how it appears in the Wallet app on iPhone. You can go back at anytime into My Disney Experience to change your pass style for a different look.

And that's it. You can now use your iPhone or Apple Watch in place of your MagicBand in the parks. We'll be testing it out this week, so keep a look-out for updates on how it performs.

So far, MagicMobile is only available for iPhone and Apple Watch, but Disney has said that it will be coming to Android at a later date.

With this new offering, Disney has has already retired complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel at the start of 2021. For those who don't wish to use MagicMobile, Disney Resort hotel guests will continue to have the option to purchase new MagicBands at a discount, and retail purchase of MagicBands for all guests will remain available.

drnilescrane6 days ago

So… Apple fixed it. In iOS 15 you will be able to unlock the hotel room using NFC. Note that WDW is a launch partner for this too:

donsullivan25 days ago

That functionality for park admission was available immediately when they launched the feature. What had been delayed was an update for the software on the handheld units used at areas like parking. In those locations, during the early weeks you had to present the QR code generated by the MDE app. Based on my experience on Sunday at Epcot, that software has now been updated and the NFC is working on those handheld readers as well so you can just present the phone or watch and they scan it the same way they would a Magicband.

Jon81uk25 days ago

No all MobileMagic does is let you add your park ticket to the wallet app on your phone. As long as you have some other ticket media (card or magic band) then you are okay.

Jon81uk25 days ago

You can’t turn NFC off on Apple devices, the phone/watch manages it.

larryz25 days ago

More evidence that Disney's new slogan is, "Make Your Own Magic!™ "

Gillyanne25 days ago

It uses NFC doesn't it? Like mobile wallets? I wonder if they've had too many people w/o their NFC on. I don't use mobile wallets for anything, so mine is usually turned off (android phone, don't have a smart watch capable of NFC) The 1 time I tried to use a mobile wallet at a store (the only way I could think to use some electronic credit card rebate as a partial payment) it didn't work at first, so I thought it was just a loss. After a while I realized, "wait I don't use this function" and turned it on and boom it worked. If I were to use the mobile magic, I'd have to remember to turn it on for my visit(s) and/or upgrade my smart watch to one that has it... Still debating if it's worth activating it for me.

Nickp198326 days ago

That's good. Entire thing confused the hell out of me. I say the ride should be figured out via death match inside the arena that was in Episode 2.

DCBaker26 days ago

No. Just the MDE app (My Disney Experience).

Nickp198326 days ago

Question. Do I need mobile magic to do Rise of Resistance. I'm so confused on how to get on that ride.

note200126 days ago

Wasn't going to as I have so many already, but just picked up my final free MB. Why not? I figure I've paid for it with my pass and the battery in there will be newer than the last one I have from 2018.

MrPromey26 days ago

Always a nice thing when frontline cast are unaware of this kind of stuff, eh? ... seriously, this seems like the sort of thing they should have told them about before it was added. 🙄

vikescaper26 days ago

I’m not sure how it works on all devices but I was able to use my Apple Watch just like I would at the gate. The cast member wasn’t sure if it would work but it did. I had the QR code ready to go, though.

EdnaMode26 days ago

"As more Annual Passholders return to the parks, we will no longer be renewing Annual Passes. As part of this new service, former Annual Passholders can choose from several electronic day-ticket options with park reservations that are served up from our smallest buckets ever!! Former Annual Passholders will no doubt appreciate our exciting new upcharges for Orange Bird-themed electronic day-tickets and for our new "Bus to Nowhere"TM service for Apple or Android products that need recharging at mid-morning and/or early evening. This elevated level of service gets families out of the parks when they are at their most crowded, and it's as simple as boarding any air-conditioned bus from any theme park and then remaining on board while using charging stations until your bus returns to your park! Thank you, former Annual Passholders, for being former members of our Passholder family!" /s

WondersOfLife26 days ago

They secretly took care of that by adding parking fees to all the disney hotels.