Hands-on with Walt Disney World's MagicBand replacement - MagicMobile on iPhone and Apple Watch

19 days ago in "MyMagic+"

Disney MagicMobile screenshots

MagicMobile, Disney's iPhone and Apple Watch MagicBand replacement, is now available for some guests at Walt Disney World via a recent update to the My Disney Experience app.

Disney MagicMobile service is billed as a convenient and contactless way to access MagicBand features like theme park entry through the power of your iPhone, Apple Watch and coming later - Android devices. Most features will be available by just holding up your smart device near an access point, just like you do with a MagicBand. You can choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand, and can alternate between the two for added flexibility.

The setup process is incredibly easy. Using the official My Disney Experience app, you choose which guests in your account to setup for MagicMobile access.

Next you get to choose a virtual pass style - which is the pass that will be displayed in your device wallet. There are lots of designs, including park specific, passholder and even favorite park food offerings.

The final step is adding the pass to the Wallet app, where My Disney Experience transfers your pass to the digital wallet on your iPhone and Apple Watch.

The pass works without waking up the device or using FaceID or TouchID, and can also work when out of usable battery life.

And here is what it looks like in the Wallet app on Apple Watch. The Apple Watch version is animated, and shows off some nice shimmering effects.

And this is how it appears in the Wallet app on iPhone. You can go back at anytime into My Disney Experience to change your pass style for a different look.

And that's it. You can now use your iPhone or Apple Watch in place of your MagicBand in the parks. We'll be testing it out this week, so keep a look-out for updates on how it performs.

So far, MagicMobile is only available for iPhone and Apple Watch, but Disney has said that it will be coming to Android at a later date.

With this new offering, Disney has has already retired complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel at the start of 2021. For those who don't wish to use MagicMobile, Disney Resort hotel guests will continue to have the option to purchase new MagicBands at a discount, and retail purchase of MagicBands for all guests will remain available.

Article Posted: Mar 22, 2021 / 4:07pm ET

donsullivan34 minutes ago

Does anyone know if this is ready for Rise of the Resistance boarding pass redemption yet?

BaconPancakes1 day ago

Can’t wait to use my Apple Watch as a magicband!

raymusiccity2 days ago

Nice to see that they'll be rolling this out to us lowly Android users later this month! 🤗

GrumpyFan2 days ago

I would assume this as well. But, I'm not sure how many people realize this, especially those who are accustomed to just using the MagicBands. Disney's web-site for it says the following: Simply hold your iPhone, Apple Watch, or other smart device near an access point when entering the parks [URL='https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/use-magic-mobile/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q2wo0325200014A']or using other available features[/URL], just like you do with a MagicBand. With Express Mode on iPhone and Apple Watch, guests do not even need to wake or unlock their Apple device, or open up the app, to use their Disney MagicMobile pass. As a reminder, valid park admission and a park reservation are required for park entry and must be linked to your account. [/QUOTE]

cmb50022 days ago

Great to hear. Now I just have to hope they eventually expand to Fitbit. As it stands, attaching the magic band puck to my watch is still more convenient. Stinks that I'll have to buy a new one every 2 years to retain ride photos, but maybe they'll get it added to all smart watch systems before that happens.

DCBaker2 days ago

donsullivan4 days ago

Interesting. While I don't stay on-property all that often as a local, I've never received cards but my last stay was in Sept, 2020 before they stopped sending MB's

flutas4 days ago

I actually got cards mailed to me about 2 weeks ago for my upcoming trip. Then magicbands after that (ordered). Surprised me to see them shipping cards.

muteki4 days ago

This was forever ago I think and probably a tickets-only transaction but I have gotten cards in the mail. I just assumed that is what would happen if I declined the 5$ fee they now ask for the bands. Either way, I think I'll be stopping by the front desk as I'm not sure she will appreciate the phone fumbling every day on the way in.

donsullivan4 days ago

I’ve never seen them send cards through the mail the way they did Magic Bands. You should be able to get a card for your tickets and room admission at any Guest Services location or your resort front desk throughout the property? If you‘re admission tickets are showing up in MDE, they’ll be able to issue physical cards easily for you at no charge. Then, if you want to purchase Magic bands, you can do that.

muteki4 days ago

I haven't been back in a couple years but have a trip coming up next week, didn't order magic bands and was expecting cards instead. So it being so soon and nothing in the mail I called to ask what to expect and was told I was supposed to use my app instead and I thought "ok". Some googling later and here I am with an Android phone and no tickets :P Luckily SO has an iPhone that we will try and sort out but I think WDW skipped a step...

durangojim5 days ago

As far as I know we didn't have to do anything. I have "allow app to refresh in background" set under settings on my iphone but I didn't open the app before the ride.

Surferboy5676 days ago

Interesting, you didn’t have to do anything? Keep the app open in the background? Did it just automatically link up with your pass in Apple Wallet? I know you have to enable bluetooth but besides that is any action required? Besides picking which photo is yours of course.

durangojim6 days ago

We experienced a test that Disney is doing where they show you a number of on ride photos from your app and ask you to chose the correct ones of you and your party. My son and I were both wearing Apple watches and this was on slinky dog.