First look at the Disney Genie app for Walt Disney World

Oct 19, 2021 in "Disney Genie"

Posted: Tuesday October 19, 2021 6:24am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney Genie is now live after an overnight update to My Disney Experience for both iOS and Android devices.

Guests are now able to begin planning their day using Genie, purchase Genie+ to make Lightning Lane selections, and starting at 7am, make individual attraction purchases for headliner attractions.

Here is a look at the updated My Disney Experience app using Genie to plan a day.

Updating My Disney Experience to include Disney Genie

Before you get started, you may need to force an update to the My Disney Experience app. Go to the App Store, search for 'My Disney Experience' and you will see an update option.

Getting started with Disney Genie

On first start of the update My Disney Experience, the app offers a few tips on what Genie can do.

Here is a first look at the new homepage with Disney Genie ready to begin planning.

The new tip board shows what is available, wait times, and when Genie+ selections can be made.

Genie Day Planning Process

Disney Genie begins by asking you a number of questions about your day to setup your personalized itinerary. It requires a Disney Park Pass to begin the planning process.

After gathering all the information about your interests and preferences, Genie then asks you to purchase Genie+ for $15 per person, per day. This potion gives you access to Lightning Lanes at participating attractions.

At this point, the planning process is complete for one park. You then have the option to setup a similar plan if park hopping to another theme park.

Keep checking back for more coverage of the first day with Disney Genie.

View our Disney Genie, Genie+, and Lightning Lane FAQ for Walt Disney World.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

HauntedPirate1 day ago

I still think the best option is to... Junk the entire system.

pigglewiggle1 day ago

Maybe that will be part of new pre-booking that was supposed to happen this year I thought.

JD801 day ago

That just sounds like old FP+. IF you scheduled your third FP at 60 days for 8pm, you could never refresh. Honestly it's a good way to do it and it's easier to understand. Assuming they give you 3 to book. If it's just 1, it'll deter people from booking a LL and banking it for later in the day. So inventory at 7am won't immediately sell out because people have to determine the value prop of whether booking an E ticket for later in the day and getting no use out of the system is more valuable than using it actively during the day. It becomes an ILL at that point. If that happens you'll have top tier attractions available later in the day for people buying the system. Would be q clever way of creating more inventory.

UNCgolf1 day ago

That would significantly devalue the system and probably result in a ton of GR complaints ("I paid $25 and was only able to use it for one ride at 8 PM!").

RSoxNo11 day ago

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm getting it 3rd hand from someone I don't know. That individual is claiming that you no longer get a reset after 2 hours and you have to burn that pass before getting another one? That means you could be locked up all day if true.

Fido Chuckwagon2 days ago

8 day hotel reservation cancellation window starts in 2025. That’s my guess.

nickys2 days ago

They’ll want the DAS changes to settle down first. Fall maybe, but that’s is just a guess.

stepjune282 days ago

Has anyone heard anything recently about when possible changes will be coming to Genie+ ?

Purduevian11 days ago

Used the new tip to help out someone doing a ride challenge on May the Fourth. Helped her a few times: 8am Pan (park open). Booked at 7:01am 8:45am Jungle cruise. Booked at 8:01am 3:45pm TT. Booked at 1:45pm (They didn't redeem, in case one of us could score something better) 2:40pm RAT. Booked at 1:47pm I did quite a bit of refreshing for those last 2, but just shows it is possible. Does anyone have a list of when LL's drop for various attractions?

Purduevian22 days ago

Learned a new G+ tip the other day and I thought I would share. If you are refreshing looking for a better time on a single ride... Don't pull down to refresh then click the ride once you see a better time come up. Often times you will be too slow and someone else will have gotten that better time. Instead of refreshing that main page, simply click the ride on whatever time it does to move on to the confirmation screen. The time will automatically shift to the latest time available (which might be different that the tip board screen). If it is not the time you want, click back and do it again. This way if you see a time, you are holding that time as soon as you see it.

allgiggles23 days ago

I've seen many people say they don't like having to be on their phone all day. I didn't experience that. I'd book a LL, set an alarm for a few minutes before the next booking time, and then put my phone away. Lather, rinse, repeat. I don't remember spending more than about 5 (*maybe* 10) minutes on my phone every time I was scheduling another LL. My husband spent *way* more time than that on his phone and he didn't schedule *any* LLs. It was no worse than it was with FP+. And it sure beats having to walk to the ride you wanted to ride to get a FP for it or walking to a kiosk and standing in line to schedule a FP+ before you could do it on the app. I'd venture to guess that I spent more time in the FP/FP+ kiosk days walking back and forth across the parks to get the rides we wanted compared to the amount of time I was on my phone for G+. At least I can parallel process when using my phone -- doing the scheduling while eating a snack or meal or while standing in line somewhere.

GhostHost100023 days ago

Well I’ve had decent luck using it as well after learning the tricks but I spend an enormous time on my phone all day playing the game which I don’t like

allgiggles23 days ago

Didn't need fixing. I'm ok paying for it, I just don't want it to be $35/day. I felt like $15-20 was a good price. We were FP+ power users, but we had even better success with G+/ILL.

GhostHost100023 days ago