Disney Genie+ sells out at Walt Disney World as busy spring break season arrives

Mar 15, 2023 in "Disney Genie"

Posted: Wednesday March 15, 2023 3:00pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Walt Disney World's Genie+ has sold out today as the busy spring break season arrives at Magic Kingdom.

Genie+ has been at its peak price for this week, costing $29 per person, per day. Genie+ hit capacity around 3pm today, and sales of Genie+ was halted. Genie+ sales reached capacity for the first time ever at Walt Disney World over Presidents' Day weekend in February 2023.

Disney added the ability for Genie+ sales to be suspended in an update to the service in May 2022 when the company also stopped advance sales of Genie+.

Disney Genie+ is an option within the Disney Genie service that makes the former FastPass line available at select attractions, now called Lightning Lane. Certain headline attractions are not part of Genie+, and Lightning Lane access at those attractions requires an Individual Attraction purchase which varies in prices.

Learn more about Disney Genie from our recent articles, including a Disney Genie FAQ, and Genie discussion on the WDWMAGIC Forums.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

Jenny7246 minutes ago

I have to admit, I don't really know what's an appropriate level of disability/difficulty for DAS. I have a family member who *hates* waiting in line, physically and mentally. It's at the point where we just skip a lot of his favorite rides completely because he just can't take it. He does have a diagnosis that would probably qualify for DAS, but I also feel like his loathing of waiting falls within a relatively normal human boundary of preferences/dislikes, so we've never asked and never used it. (For instance, while I don't enjoy waiting, if it's inside I can tolerate it just fine. But he is not like this.) I am *not* saying that people who use DAS just hate waiting, by the way. I am very well aware that there are real disabilities there, no question. I just don't know where the outer boundary lies. It's occurred to me that I could ask, but I feel very weird about it.

Disstevefan14 hours ago

We are going to try that. Thanks.

mikejs7815 hours ago

Use the option where you get your DAS pass online before your visit. Those case members are better trained.

Disstevefan118 hours ago

Today at WDW, its whatever the cast member on duty feels.

SamusAranX18 hours ago

People need to also bear in mind that many disabilities that affect someone’s ability to wait in line are “invisible”. So you may see someone who doesn’t look disabled but inside they deal with a physical or psychological issue

Chi8418 hours ago

Sure it was an issue, but the people who couldn’t be accommodated just didn’t go. Just like they didn’t ride public buses, go to certain businesses, etc.

Disstevefan118 hours ago

To clarify. For many years up until and including 2019, my family member qualified for DAS in WDW there was never an issue. If I remember correctly we needed to go to guest services every 30 days to get re qualified? Anyway never an issue. Today, my family member is significantly worse. We went to guest services like we always did previous and now my family member no longer qualifies and they did not care that they previously did. While my family member's condition is significantly worse today, they no longer qualify when in years past, they did. I am sure different folks had different experiences based on who is at the desk that day, but that's our experience.

bmr159118 hours ago

I think they just need stricter definitions of what qualifies. For instance, and I’m gonna sound heartless here but I don’t intend to, I read about a mom who got DAS for her daughter. Why? Because when she waited in line, she would psyche herself out and get too scared to ride when it was finally their turn. Isn’t that almost every kid? They have vivid imaginations and build things up to what they aren’t on the daily. Does that really qualify for DAS? What about ADD? I’m genuinely not trying to be disrespectful, but I know people who use DAS every trip because their adult child has ADD and will touch everything he sees in the queue. He has medicine to help this, but they don’t take it at Disney. Again, I am very aware that DAS has a purpose, and maybe this is my inner old man thinking about what once was, but there was a time this wasn’t an issue and people just waited.

Fido Chuckwagon19 hours ago

One of the common misconceptions about DAS is that it’s for everyone who has a “disability.” It is not. Disney will only give a person DAS if they cannot wait in line due to their disability. If the disability relates to mobility, inability to stand, walk, etc, then they will (and always have) told the person that they will provide them with a wheelchair, etc. for the line.

Disstevefan119 hours ago

FIFY

Brian19 hours ago

How could you wait in a separate location and then not go to the front of the line? If one cannot wait in line for whatever reason, going anywhere but the lightning lane wouldn't work, especially since they already waited.

Laketravis19 hours ago

Didn't claim to have a solution, but I agreed that "waiting outside the line" is a reasonable accommodation. Letting someone to the front of the line as soon as they walk up (without prior claim) is beyond reasonable.

mikejs7819 hours ago

So how would you propose they implement it?

Laketravis19 hours ago

Exactly. And that is a reasonable accommodation. But going "straight" to or near the front of the line is beyond reasonable.