Disney announces plan to bring advance booking of Genie+ and Lightning Lane reservations to Walt Disney World

May 08, 2023 in "Disney Genie"

Posted: Monday May 8, 2023 2:11pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney says that it is working on ways to allow guests to make advance reservations for Genie+ and Lightning Lane attractions ahead of time, avoiding the same-day 7am rush.

In a post on the official blog, Disney said, "We have heard from guests that they would like ways to plan with Disney Genie+ service and individual Lightning Lane selections before the day of their park visit, and we want you to know we are working on ways guests may do this for visits in 2024. Our goal is to give you the opportunity to spend less time planning in the park and more time enjoying your visit with friends and family. While we are not yet able to share specific details, we look forward to sharing more information at a later date."

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

Ayla1 day ago

Yes, there are plenty of guest reports saying how they were given LL for whatever reason as part of guest recovery that I don't believe the reports on twitter.

DisneyDreamer081 day ago

I was in Disney with my husband and 2 kids in March of 2023. There was a system wide outage on our DHS day that affected everyone for the first few hours of the day. After that, everyone had to sign back in and for a some reason, a small amount of people, myself included, couldn’t sign back into the MDE app for the entire day. I had to go to the blue umbrellas every time I wanted to make a LL. I couldn’t mobile order or fiddle faddle my times. It was infuriating and exhausting to say the least. I went to guest services at the end of the day simply because I didn’t feel I got my monies worth that day. The CM was extremely emphatic and not only refunded my entire family for the day but gave us Genie for free for the following day as well. So it definitely still happens.

arich352 days ago

Yeah when we went in January we had some issue with Genie+ at HS that day where it messed up our group. We were park hopping later to MK and the guest experience team gave us all free Peter Pan ILL plus an anytime experience pass because Slinky was down the whole time.

natatomic2 days ago

I’d imagine guest recovery can and DOES still happen. But I can also imagine it’s much more limited too.

James Alucobond2 days ago

I'm not saying this is wrong as I may have just randomly been dealing with someone who had the correct permissions, but my group was definitely given both a Lightning Lane and gift certificate cash for an inconvenience during my last visit in 2023. I didn't even push for it; I just asked for something minor to be corrected with my room reservation and, because it was going to take a day, they offered.

natatomic2 days ago

Having watched Jenny Nicholson’s Star Wars Hotel video, it led me to follow her on twitter where people are ripping Disney a new one (rightly deserved, too). One thing I didn’t realize that has changed as I haven’t been a CM since covid is that monetizing fast passes has now made guest recovery reduced to practically nothing compared to what they used to do. Here’s some quotes: “Pre-Genie+ I used to make magical moments by walking guests up to the fastpass entrance all the time. Now that’s “stealing from the company”” “Our bus delayed our entry into DHS by two hours so we couldn’t get to rope drop and do rise of the resistance. The cast member at guest services actually apologized and said “I’d like to be able to give you a Fastpass for your inconvenience but the system doesn’t allow it.”” “Yea, a lot of cast are hesitant because they've put a lot of pressure on them about not abusing it. On top of that, in many areas frontline cast had the ability to issue them removed entirely and now only leaders/coordinators can do it.” “One thing that's weird since Disney decided fastpasses cost money is they never give them out for inconveniences anymore. Yesterday they couldn't link my magicband to the hotel and said "I'm sorry this probably really ate into the time you needed to go on rides. Anyway bye"” (She said this happened every day of her stay, and the only thing they suggested was for HER to go buy a new magic band. No offers to replace it for her). Sounds like comped LL are given out incredibly rarely now, and front line CMs have either been deprived of that ability, and the few that DO have that power have to be able to account for each and every one passed out lest they get in trouble. So I guess magical moments are a thing of the past? I used to love surprising guests with a random fast pass just to brighten their day, or using them as guest recovery. Hey Disney. Genie+ SUCKS. Get your act together, good Lord…

Fido Chuckwagon3 days ago

Let’s not go crazy…

TrojanUSC3 days ago

Yes, paying for something that used to be free sucks, but I continue to think that for the price they're charging it's a steal.

Fido Chuckwagon4 days ago

If they are going back to 3 prebooks that makes sense. Basically it’s just the old FP+ system but you pay for it now. I don’t see how they could possibly allow 3 prebooks plus stacking, there’s just not enough capacity.

George4 days ago

There’s a thread I could pull on, but before I do that - do any of our esteemed magic colleagues know guest satisfaction numbers with regards to genie, genie plus, and ILL?

HauntedPirate6 days ago

I still think the best option is to... Junk the entire system.

pigglewiggle6 days ago

Maybe that will be part of new pre-booking that was supposed to happen this year I thought.

JD806 days ago

That just sounds like old FP+. IF you scheduled your third FP at 60 days for 8pm, you could never refresh. Honestly it's a good way to do it and it's easier to understand. Assuming they give you 3 to book. If it's just 1, it'll deter people from booking a LL and banking it for later in the day. So inventory at 7am won't immediately sell out because people have to determine the value prop of whether booking an E ticket for later in the day and getting no use out of the system is more valuable than using it actively during the day. It becomes an ILL at that point. If that happens you'll have top tier attractions available later in the day for people buying the system. Would be q clever way of creating more inventory.

UNCgolf6 days ago

That would significantly devalue the system and probably result in a ton of GR complaints ("I paid $25 and was only able to use it for one ride at 8 PM!").