Tiana's Bayou Adventure Honors Military Service

May 23, 2024 in "Tiana's Bayou Adventure"

Posted: Thursday May 23, 2024 10:12am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Walt Disney Company has a longstanding tradition of honoring U.S. military service, starting with its founders, Walt and Roy O. Disney, who served during the First World War. This legacy continues to be celebrated as Tiana's Bayou Adventure is set to open at Walt Disney World Resort on June 28.

New Insight into Tiana's Dad James' Military Background

Fans of "The Princess and the Frog" may remember Tiana's father, James, as a World War I veteran. In collaboration with Disney Animation, Walt Disney Imagineering expanded his story for the new attraction.

Ted Robledo, executive creative director for Walt Disney Imagineering, said that his team was thrilled to be able to expand James' story in a way that honored veterans. He shared that one of the things that makes Tiana so unique is how relatable her story is. Her mother was an entrepreneurial dress maker, and her father was a decorated veteran.

"We looked for inspiration for how we could best expand on his backstory in a way that honored the military families who visit our parks," said Ted. "In creating these photos for the attraction, we were inspired by real photos of soldiers who served during WWI to ensure we got it right."

The team referenced photos of soldiers from the 369th Regiment, an African American unit known for its bravery during World War I. This regiment's members were recognized with the prestigious Croix de Guerre medal by the French government for their valor.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure will open at Walt Disney World Resort on June 28, and later this year in Disneyland.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

monothingie9 minutes ago

Are you referring to the AAs or the ride system? The AAs will take a beating like no else, Splash certainly showed that even though they were less technologically advanced. But a malfunctioning AA wouldn’t cause the ride to shut down would it?

ToTBellHop42 minutes ago

My raptor race didn’t even stay in the raptor paddock. Complete BS. I demanded a refund. This would never fly at Disney.

Disney Glimpses1 hour ago

From what I understand, the specific issues are not with new hardware. They've used the same hardware in other attractions but with different operating environments. But yes, it clearly was not considered.

FettFan1 hour ago

….you would think that the “engineering” part of “imagineering” would eventually catch on to the fact that, instead of a climate controlled warehouse in Glendale, Central Florida is hotter and more humid than the devil’s armpits. Eventually, yes?

Disney Glimpses1 hour ago

The issues with TBA are actually relatively simple but requiring a lot of trial and error to correct. They are related to operating conditions (temperature/humidity).

Kirby861 hour ago

Jurrassic Park river adventure is one as well. Last time I went my boat got pushed over to the raptor paddock. Hope they fixed that by now.

FettFan1 hour ago

Test Track also opened, what, an entire year after its initial opening date. I remember that TT’s multiple issues were what enabled Horizons to stay open a bit longer, as it would give FW East three pavilions instead of just Ellen and Wonders. But then again, it was a brand new system that Disney designed from scratch. The computers onboard each car would hiccup and not know where the others were, which led to two of them colliding They also used off-the-shelf tires, but something about the rubber composition did not work with the stresses the ride placed on them, which led to them bursting after prolonged use…Disney contracted Goodyear to make specialized tires for them. Again though this is all moot, when you consider that TBA was an established ride system that was untouched. (As far as I can tell, although it does look like the old camel hump during the drop into the laughin’ place isn’t there anymore in every video I’ve seen. Can anyone confirm?)

SilentWindODoom1 hour ago

You can stay home. Those that have the opposite opinion can go and enjoy and do this fun little thing that you felt the need to reply to twice. No problem.

peter114351 hour ago

Test Track

FettFan1 hour ago

Jaws.

EagleScout6103 hours ago

Whoops my bad. I misread that.

LittleBuford3 hours ago

He happens to really like this attraction and wants to celebrate it. That’s absolutely his right.

Kirby863 hours ago

I get it but the question asked rethemed or new.

MickeyLuv'r4 hours ago

Re-read the question. The questions was, "whether it was new or a re-theme." Test Track had a lot of down time. Hagrid's and Rise are the big ones that come to my mind as well. I think Mission:Space also had some downtime. Some of that though was due to people getting sick on it, I think. It was a while ago, so I might not be correct on this point, but I think it took WDW a little while to realize they needed to provide barf bags. Gringott's also initially had some problems, but I think they were resolved fairly quickly. I'm not sure. I recall waiting in a non-moving line back when it was new.