Top of the tree lopped from the former Splash Mountain as work continues on Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Apr 06, 2023 in "Tiana's Bayou Adventure"

Tiana's Bayou Adventure construction - April 6 2023
Posted: Thursday April 6, 2023 2:16pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

More changes are visible today at the former Splash Mountain, where work continues to transform the attraction into Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

A section of the tree at the very top of the mountain has now been removed.

Work is taking place on new rockwork alongside the track at the splash-down area.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure will open at Magic Kingdom in late 2024.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

lightningtap3472 hours ago

Some observations from my ride this morning: It's pretty and the animatronics are cool. I unfortunately felt nothing in terms of emotion, and I think that has to do with the weak story and poor dialogue in the ride. There's no reason to feel anything because there's nothing to feel for. It was a bit harder to suspend disbelief than normal, and I feel that's because I don't believe Tiana would be doing any of this. They seemingly pigeonholed themselves with the structure, and it was hard to ever get invested in what was occurring. Something I found alarming was the guest discourse after my ride. I stayed by the picture booth for about 25 minutes after to listen to others as they got off the ride. Maybe it was just the environment (AP preview) but I not once heard a comment that wasn't essentially directly comparing against Splash. I also didn't hear a single comment that I would evaluate as anything beyond "light praise." It's concerning to me that no one appeared able to give the ride an honest shot, but in my personal attempt to do so I think I'd give it a 6.5/10. Unfortunately, Disney was seemingly unable to detach this attraction from its past, and in my opinion, this just isn't a good enough replacement, regardless of technological advancement. The ride will definitely pull a line, and probably sell merch so it will be deemed a success by those who define those metrics, but for replacing a top five attraction of all time (my opinion), this just wasn't the grand slam it needed to be.

Kristamouse14 hours ago

We will be in MK on 6/25. We do no have AP’s. Does anyone have an idea on how we will attempt to ride? Just the typical GoG or RoR grab for VQ? Any idea on if LL will be avalible? Edited to be clear, we are between the AP preview and actual opening day. Yall are the smartest Disney Nerds I know any ideas?

easyrowrdw18 hours ago

I rode it yesterday and if anything was broken it wasn’t evident to me or the people I was riding with. I dunno.

Ayla20 hours ago

It isn't open to the public. Much ado about nothing.

_caleb20 hours ago

Right. But all these things are "scorecard" issues, not show issues. If a single scene with only 3 AAs offers a compelling show (meaning, it grabs your attention and is so entertaining that it makes everything else around you fall into background), that can be a different experience than 10 AAs randomly dispersed to fill in empty spots. You've posted at length about how you value range of motion and degrees of articulation on AAs. I'd say AAs should perform what the story needs, even if it's limited movement. Why waste 10 points of articulation on a critter playing a trumpet drums that guests fly past while focused on a more central character? In my opinion, limited-motion AAs can actually be better for the story by not competing for attention against scenes elements that are more important to the story. And POVs don't typically do a great job of providing that dynamic. Right. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss/analyze what we're seeing. This is fun for most of us! I, on the other hand, try not to formulate strong opinions about attractions I've not experienced in person. One of my favorites is the PeopleMover, and to me it is much more than the sum of its features. The only reason I keep bringing this up around here is because I want people to share the enjoyment of things I find enjoyable. From my perspective, there are positive posts from people reacting to what they see on the ride, negative posts reacting to what they see on the ride, and negative posts reacting to what they don't see on the ride. (I'm sure there are other groups and posts that don't fall into these categories). But it's posts from that last group that I don't care for, and there seem to be quite a lot of them here.

MerlinTheGoat21 hours ago

The problem again is that the specific issues that are being levied against Tiana are by and large issues that are not going to change or become better by riding it in person. The number of AA's is not going to magically go up if I am physically sitting in the boat, all of those areas that used to have characters before are not going to suddenly become occupied again. Nor is the movement of the new critter figures going to improve upon riding it either. I'm also not going to enjoy the finale song more by riding it. Nor is the dialog going to get any less stupid. These are comparisons that incidentally do not require a person to have ever ridden Splash either. For instance, i've never ridden the Disneyland or Tokyo versions of Splash and can still easily tell they are still far and away better than TBA (and both have quite different scenery compared to WDW's Splash). Already good rides are typically more enjoyable when you're physically present in them. That isn't up for debate. There are nevertheless still a ton of elements that are possible to analyze without having ever been on them. My overall opinions on an attraction's scenes do not typically shift significantly in the opposite direction after experiencing it in person. An attraction that I already enjoy will either remain relatively the same or be improved somewhat, while an attraction I already thought is poor will usually remain that way or occasionally become even worse (Frozen and Little Mermaid are examples that are worse in person than on video, i'd argue Test Track v2 as well). Same goes for the middling ones. Keep in mind that there were also people who were and are praising TBA without ever riding it as well. Quite a few in this thread. And yet there is a conspicuous lack of proportional complaining towards them by comparison.

_caleb21 hours ago

I was the one comparing POVs of those attractions to TBA's. Did you see the post I was quoting? He said: Good point about most of us having ridden Splash (I know Brer Panther certainly did!) and therefore having a reference point. But wouldn't you agree that experiencing most rides in-person is different than watching them on video? Often in ways that can make a huge difference on our perception of what makes a ride impressive?

Tha Realest22 hours ago

No one is comparing those attractions POV videos to this; many (most?) of us have experienced Splash, so we have a reference point. Videos don’t miss an incoherent plot or non-working AAs/screens.

splah22 hours ago

Are the A1000s in Tokyo having these reliability issues? Maybe the rapid pace was a detriment after all

_caleb22 hours ago

In my opinion, some of the best attractions at the parks would look less than impressive on POV videos. Tiki Room Swiss Family Treehouse Space Mountain Flight of Passage If you can decide that a ride is bad based on a video that doesn’t capture even half of the ride experience, what are you basing your opinion on?

dreamfinding23 hours ago

They probably won’t do anything until the 28th

dreamfinding23 hours ago

I’m scheduled for the d23 preview next weekend. Disney was very specific in the verbiage that we are welcome to ride as much as we want during the event. Starting to believe that this is going to be an issue…

EricsBiscuit23 hours ago

I rode the WDWRR recently and the shudders blocking the view of the finale look permanent. I hope that they open them up towards opening but it is worrying they haven’t done so already.

EagleScout61023 hours ago

On a side note, I'm hoping for DL's that they remove the leaf transition with Odie right before the big lift hill. I get its supposed to be her peering down at tiny us, but the swirling leaves give off a Power Point transition feeling between lines. Just have Odie looking down the entire time and going "Ah there you are!" when the log hits the senor.