Splash Mountain to be rethemed to The Princess and the Frog

Jun 25, 2020 in "Splash Mountain"

Posted: Thursday June 25, 2020 12:11pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has announced that Splash Mountain at both Disneyland in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida will soon be reimagined to the animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.”

With a backstory based on the controversial 1946 classic Disney movie "Song of the South," there have been strong calls for Disney to make changes to the hugely popular flume ride.

Disney says that "The new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year."

According to Disney, "We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance. Tiana is a modern, courageous, and empowered woman, who pursues her dreams and never loses sight of what’s really important. It’s a great story with a strong lead character, set against the backdrop of New Orleans and the Louisiana bayou. In 1966, Walt himself opened New Orleans Square when it became the first new “land” added to Disneyland park, so it feels natural to link the story and the incredible music of “The Princess and the Frog” to our parks."

The voice of Princess Tiana and Tony Award-winning actress, Anika Noni Rose, shared, “It is really exciting to know that Princess Tiana’s presence in both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom will finally be fully realized! As passionate as I am about what we created, I know the fans are going to be over the moon. The Imagineers are giving us ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Mardi Gras celebration we’ve been waiting for, and I’m here for it!”

The project will be led by Charita Carter, who most recently worked on Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. Splash Mountain creater Tony Baxter will serve as a creative adviser for the makeover.

A timeline for the closure and reopening has yet to be announced, but Splash Mountain will reopen from the COVID-19 shutdown in its original form.

brettf222 days ago

Which is one reason why New Orleans Square in DL just “feels” right, and better, than LS to BTM. Changing Splash to something based in New Orleans really won’t hurt the cohesiveness of the area. But it won’t help, either.

CJR2 days ago

It's fine to be in disagreement. I would love to think that it wasn't but it appears to me that it did, at least, in terms of PatF being involved. It's a bit of a coincidence otherwise, I think. Just as a disclaimer - I deleted the post you replied to. I don't want to discuss it further, tbh. This project is out of my control, so no point in going back and forth on it, IMHO. Not at this time at least.

LittleBuford2 days ago

I disagree. The campaign, such as it was, was never loud or widespread enough to force Disney’s hand.

LittleBuford2 days ago

I think it’s a bit cynical to assume that the only people who’ll care about the retheme are social-media activists. At any rate, yes, changing the US rides is going to read as a big statement regardless of what happens in Japan. Relatively few Americans know anything about the Tokyo parks beyond their existence.

Magicart872 days ago

🎶You got to dig a little deeper...🎶

CJR2 days ago

My question is - is Disney really going to achieve anything from this if a huge fragment of SotS still exists in Tokyo? I suppose social media (even though these people can be from anywhere) only cares about "racism" if it's in America, in this case? Following a reply taking this out of context, I am not saying that social media is the only group that cares about this project. I asked a rhetorical question. Honestly answer this to yourself - no need to reply. Does racism stop at America? If your answer is no, are you OK if the project stops at America?

owlsandcoffee2 days ago

As time goes on I just think...there's a steamboat going by. WDW's Frontierland was never really cohesive anyways. It's cool, it'll be fine. People will not for one second be drawn out of the experience. It'll be fun. The ride will probably not be that great but that's an indictment of what TWDC makes WDI do.

MansionButler842 days ago

Last I’d heard but I stopped digging. They love delaying…

EagleScout6102 days ago

Isn't it this winter?

MansionButler842 days ago

In general, we avoid major closures during celebrations. So May 2023 at the earliest, but more likely Fall 2023 so it can open Spring 2025.

BuzzedPotatoHead892 days ago

Should be? That’s interesting since I assumed WDW was further down the pike. If I were them I would plan it several years apart and wait for the guest surveys on DL to see what alterations/changes need to be made and assuming it’s popular maybe make a final *push* with OLC, too. But perhaps the two domestic attractions are going to go down for retheme closer together than I thought.

MansionButler842 days ago

Yes, DL should be first.

EagleScout6102 days ago

Isn't Cali going soon? I think that will be the big determining factor, how well that one does.

MansionButler842 days ago

I would have agreed 6 months ago. Now I think this is set in stone.