Imagineer Zach Riddley talks about the new lighting system coming to Spaceship Earth

10 days ago in "Spaceship Earth"

Concept art of new Spaceship Earth lighting system

Yesterday during the 50th anniversary announcement, Disney showed-off some new concept art of the nighttime experience of Spaceship Earth, set to debut as part of 'The World’s Most Magical Celebration.'

Although debuting as part of the 50th anniversary celebration on October 1, the new lighting at Spaceship Earth is a permanent addition and will live on beyond the 18 month 50th event.

Imagineer Zach Riddley has taken to Instagram today to offer a bit more insight into what is coming.

EPCOT is a park about the best of us – what is possible when we embrace the power of imagination and humanity’s ability to make impossible things reality when we work together. We are all connected. That is the theme and the expression at the heart of our work across EPCOT and at the heart of this stellar new visual experience coming soon to Spaceship Earth.

Spaceship Earth is a unique structure recognized around the world. To honor this idea, our Imagineers have created custom lighting features that literally emerge from her unique architecture. These features will shine across Spaceship Earth's silver panels and "connect" with one another, resembling shimmering stars in a nighttime sky.

Spaceship Earth has maintained her classic multi-color lighting design for nearly 40 years – a legacy the team working on this project are keen to preserve. Her classic look will be maintained and accentuated through new colors and intensity in programmed expressions that extend into the new main entrance fountain and the entire World Celebration area that continues to take shape before our eyes.

We can’t wait to reveal more of the technical innovative and artistry going into this new experience and the team behind the scenes turning imagination into reality.

Article Posted: Feb 20, 2021 / 3:17pm ET

dvclover1513 hours ago

yeah these are one in the same. ;)

HauntedPirate14 hours ago

My point being, there has been love for Fantasia shown. For years. It’s not something that’s been saved for F&G.

tparris15 hours ago

I thought it looked familiar.

Touchdown16 hours ago

And would you be surprised to know that this is the exact same topiary?

jrhwdw17 hours ago

Might we get the Flags tomorrow for Opening day for Flower and Garden? Do we have a Flag Insider? LOL!

rangerbob17 hours ago

It is starting to look like the original version of the entrance. Glad the old look has returned.

HauntedPirate17 hours ago

There used to always be a Sorceror Mickey and dancing brooms topiaries at DHS.

Lands of Wonder18 hours ago

Nice to see Fantasia get some love

HuffsAhoy2 days ago

The reimagined entrance of Epcot, in front of SSE at least, is leaps and bounds better than before. I have not seen it in person yet but there is something about seeing these photos of plaza with the flag poles flanking both sides of the attraction that gives me, for lack of a better word, chills. I know that's a silly reaction but I never felt any sense of awe walking into the park with the former entrance. I'm very much looking forward to how the rest of the area is fine tuned.

dreday32 days ago

Yes, just answered my own question. Pictures on this site show me the planting. It's not the same color, but obviously need time for plants/trees to grow.

dreday32 days ago

? 🤔 Looking more at the concept art - I already like the flag poles, have they already added all the planters and trees or will there be more?

MisterPenguin2 days ago

Can we please stay on the topic of the Entrance? There's another thread for Harmonious.

dreday32 days ago

Well, not to spoil it for you, but I don't think things look too great beyond Spaceship Earth right now from what I'm picking up on. ;)