Walt Disney World's iconic purple road signs are being replaced with an all-new look

Jan 27, 2022 in "Magic Kingdom"

New look Walt Disney World road signs 2022
Posted: Thursday January 27, 2022 10:52am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Walt Disney World's famous purple road signs are in the process of being replaced with a new look that follows the current design language that debuted for the 50th anniversary.

The 30 year old purple signs were famously created by the same team that produced directional signage for the 1984 Olympics in LA, Sussman/Prejza & Co.

The purple signs were designed to incorporate Disney's classic Mickey Mouse colors (red, black, and yellow), with purple as the complementary color. All planned to make the signs easy to read and help guests navigate the vast Walt Disney World property.

The new modern signage debuting today features shades of blue and yellow, similar to those seen at the newly repainted Transportation and Ticket Center and the new gateway entrances.

There are more than 1000 signs across property, so it will likely be some time before we see all signage replaced.

lazyboy97o3 days ago

So you thinking something is insignificant means claims of facts don’t need support?

JD803 days ago

Who cares. They are road signs.

lazyboy97o4 days ago

That's not an answer. Which specific parts? Florida adopted MUTCD 2009 over a decade ago.

MisterPenguin4 days ago

I haven't seen any of the new signs direct anyone to EPOCT yet.

drnilescrane4 days ago

MUTCD 2009 Edition. Tightened up the rules - a lot of governments where I live in SoCal replaced street signage with complaint FHWA type after that was published and adopted. RCID is essentially a county level government, operating public roads.

lazyboy97o4 days ago

What regulation? Why not cite it?

LSLS4 days ago

Ok, these pictures do look a bit easier to read than the others have.

drnilescrane4 days ago

The more I see of these, the more I think this was a regulatory issue. The new ones use the federal highway standard typefaces and route shields, and on western way all the wayside signage (things like the yellow diamonds that warn you of hazards) were replaced with the standard versions. I don't think the purple was the problem - all the other weird choices were. They could have made these purple, but I think if they were going to replace all of them for compliance reasons they decided to just update to a more modern color scheme.

DCBaker4 days ago

Some signs on World Drive have started being replaced -

Casper Gutman14 days ago

At least that’s one complaint this curmudgeon never made - because I have never really been able to tell the difference between fireworks shows. I do like it when they use music from the park, but they only seem to do that in Disneyland. And at EPCOT forever.

MisterPenguin14 days ago

Some even before HEA debuted! ;)

CaptainAmerica14 days ago

I'm old enough to remember (because it was only five years ago) when everyone lamented the loss of Wishes and complained that Happily Ever After was the worst thing they had ever seen.

Casper Gutman14 days ago

This assumes the current WDW is building a substantial new generation of fans and that the signs will be perceived by those fans as a distinct enough part of “the bubble” to matter.

BuddyThomas14 days ago

The next time I get perplexed and annoyed at people whining about a ride that hasn’t been built yet or complaining about a movie that hasn’t been released yet, I will just need to remind myself that there are 36 pages and counting of people crying about the color of a road sign.