Kali River Rapids to begin delayed openings starting today at Disney's Animal Kingdom

May 16, 2021 in "Kali River Rapids"

Kali River Rapids overview
Posted: Sunday May 16, 2021 7:15am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Starting May 16 2021, Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom will begin operating an hour later than regular park opening.

The white water river raft adventure now opens an hour after park opening, which means a 9am start for most days with Disney's Animal Kingdom opening at 8am. The ride remains open until park close.

celluloid30 days ago

It is a pretty weak raft ride even among the lesser ones of the world, and Florida's Raft rides (Universal and Busch Gardens Tampa) are among the strongest. The queue is great and the finale at least paid off a concept but with that dwindling, this thing is just there. The parts that are not drops are not even really rocking rapids.

Touchdown30 days ago

I like how Splash only splashes you, I don’t want to be soaked at the MK and I don’t want my shoes to get wet. However, by their nature raft rides will always get you wetter below the waist. Therefore, I only wear bathing suits and water sanders to ride them, so on raft rides when I ride them, I want to get drenched.

Giss Neric30 days ago

Problem is I think Disney purposely adjusts how you get wet on a ride. They don't wanna soak riders. When you compare them to water rides at Universal, you will really get soaked, I mean head to toe soaked. I personally think they should add more water at the bottom of the Splash Mountain drops to create more of a splash. Same with Kali and Grizzly River Run, they barely have any water at the bottom of the drops to create a bigger splash.

Bullseye196730 days ago

They could replace with a person lecturing you and then at the end throw a bucket of water on you. :arghh: Would be about the same. :hilarious:

jt0430 days ago

I'm waiting for the day an underwhelming attraction like Kali gets turned into a pre-show of sorts. Not entirely unlike the shuttle at the first section of RotR. Or a simpler example, the train to planet watch. There are several attractions on property that could be reconfigured in such a manner and give it new life. IMO.

RSoxNo130 days ago

I think the move for this ride would basically be to go straight at the top of the lift hill, have a run off and another lift hill to reconnect to the existing track. Otherwise, I don't see a logical way to do it. I think a better move would be to remove the attraction entirely, but only after they re-develop Chester and Hester's. The ride opened in 1999 and you could conceivably get 30 years out of it before they're ready to expand / re-develop that area.

MMFanCipher31 days ago

IMHO not worth the long wait and too short of a ride. Disney needs to extend it. Won't ride it unless it is a walk on. And even then I would have to think about it.

MansionButler8431 days ago

Right. Which isn’t easy. It would take Disney years. For what? It’s already popular in the heat like every other raft ride.

Touchdown31 days ago

You can, but it involves either lengthening the existing lift or building a new one.

MansionButler8431 days ago

You can’t easily extend a ride driven by gravity.

cookiee_munster31 days ago

I wondered how easy it would be to extend it and make it a longer ride. It's quite squashed in where it currently sits. it really could do with being longer.

DoleWhipDrea31 days ago

Every time a ride has a delayed opening, the guest is getting shortchanged. We're heading into very hot temperatures and an intense summer. I might excuse this during off season, but right now? Makes no sense to me. I like the story behind Kali, I just wish the special effects had a bit more pizazz, and that the attraction would end with a call to action somehow. It's important to educate, but you also need to make the next step in talking about what can be done to fix things. I appreciate the message about taking care of the Earth and its creatures with DAK, even if they're not as strong as they initially were.

jt04May 17, 2021

It fits the land perfectly. Or they could go with S.E.A. Anything but the current storyline. 😨😢😩

The Lochness MonstaMay 17, 2021

We should start a chant. "WE WANT THE JUNGLE BOOK. WE WANT THE JUNGLE BOOK."