Summary of the changes so far at Disney World's Jungle Cruise

Apr 30, 2021 in "Jungle Cruise"

Posted: Friday April 30, 2021 8:39am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The updates to the Jungle Cruise are well underway at the Magic Kingdom, with several show scenes now already in the process of being updated.

Here is a quick look at what is happening so far at the Walt Disney World Jungle Cruise.

One of the first visible changes earlier this month was the removal of Trader Sam from the final bend on the cruise.

In its place now is a cleared area, which will become home to a new scene - Trader Sam's Gift Shop.

Another area that was modified early on was the Rhino scene, with the tree being removed.

This will be replaced with a new scene featuring the skippers climbing the tree trunk.

Over at the Pygmy beach, the skulls on spears have been removed.

Elsewhere smaller details have been removed from the walls in the queue area. All of this work is being done in overnight shifts, leaving the ride to operate during regular park hours. The skippers are largely avoiding the missing items, and keeping the jokes flowing to minimize any impact to the show.

Disney announced back in January 2021 that it plans to update the Jungle Cruise with new additions to add "more humor, wildlife and skipper heart – and also reflect and value the diversity of the world around us."

We still don't have a completion timeframe for the Walt Disney World Jungle Cruise, although we do know that the Disneyland version will be complete this summer, although the Disneyland ride has the benefit of remaining closed during the work.

zakattack991 day ago

No idea like I said just saw this on Twitter. If true my only guess is that Ziploc pitched a fit about being thrown under the bus twice with Splash. First being negatively portrayed when Disney announced that they would ban plastics the day after Ziploc announced their sponsorship. And second Disney branding the ride they sponsor racist with Splash. So this is What they agreed to to help smooth everything over. Like I said no idea if true but this is my 2 cents.

James Alucobond1 day ago

Pre-emptive IP inclusion. Frozen 3 is going to be about Elsa running afoul of big refrigeration and storage because of her ice powers.

Notes from Neverland1 day ago

Did their Splash Mountain sponsorship expire? That one at least made a little sense...

zakattack991 day ago

Popped up on my Twitter. Is this new?

Incomudro2 days ago

Generally, I agree with what you said here - and will often say things like this myself. But given the trend, I'm not optimistic. I'd prefer to be wrong.

Bocabear2 days ago

WDW's Adventureland Entrance has always been less interesting than it's counterpart in California... But they did used to have torches around the entrance at night which were beautiful...Those are gone now, and the entrance is just a bare arbor... It would have been nice to have reconstructed it more like the Disneyland Entrance... More evocative of adventure than an arbor with stuff tied to it.... and the hut roofs on either side would have provided a little shade and shelter during rainstorms.

LittleBuford2 days ago

Maybe it's wise to wait for the project's completion before jumping to conclusions.

Archie1232 days ago

I'm guessing a guy drew that picture.

Incomudro2 days ago

Nothing spells adventure like the letters "Adventure." We'll just imagine what that means.

Brer Panther2 days ago

If natives in of themselves are being considered offensive now (I mean, there isn't anything really offensive about the MASK, right?), I wonder what that means for Moana.

mergatroid2 days ago

Can't say I even noticed the hook :D

Magicart872 days ago

Or this guy:

GimpYancIent2 days ago

Hey, since the Jungle Cruise is central to Adventure land and primates are emerging all over the place could an emblem or logo / representation evolve from something like this?

GimpYancIent2 days ago

Yeah, you are right. The hook? Not cartoony enough? Ahhhh too much cleavage, don't want to be slapped with an R rating? It's a thought though.