Journey of Water Inspired by Moana construction ramping up at EPCOT

Jun 09, 2021 in "Journey of Water Inspired by Moana"

'Journey of Water Inspired by Moana' construction - June 8 2021
Posted: Wednesday June 9, 2021 10:39am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Construction at 'Journey of Water Inspired by Moana' is picking up pace at EPCOT as parts of the structure become visible across the park.

The vertical parts that we can see are possibly parts of the landscaping that we can see in the concept art, with waterfalls flowing down a rock wall.

According to Disney, this first-ever attraction based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios hit film, “Moana,” will let guests interact with magical, living water in a beautiful and inspiring setting.

The new area will be located in what was Future World in approximately the area previously occupied by the Innoventions West building leading towards the Living Seas. Innoventions West and all the buildings on that side have beene demolished as part of the work.

HauntedPirate18 hours ago

There’s a good spot where whatever this Journey of Water thing ends up being could fit well - Right between The Land and The Seas. And no, that’s not the spot where it’s currently going.

CJR18 hours ago

Are you talking about Moana as an IP for the attraction or the actual attraction that educates people about the water cycle? I think the latter is an OK fit for Epcot - regardless of its placement. Moana as an IP, to me, is insignificant if the priority of the attraction is education. Nothing will be going into Epcot without an IP involved at this point, I believe. Technically, Moana could still find herself in Adventureland - since just because Moana will be affiliated with this area doesn't mean she couldn't also get something elsewhere (I mean Frozen has a ride in Epcot and a show just a boat ride away at DHS).

HauntedPirate18 hours ago

I believe there was something added to each scene, but yes, it was very subtle. One of those small things that could be tastefully added, instead of the usual Iger/Chapek era “A-jackhammer-solves-all-problems” approach. But then again, they don’t care about stupid entertainment for stupid people, and thus have no concept of “subtle”.

Bocabear19 hours ago

Hardly the biggest issue but still a head scratcher...Can you shoehorn the idea into the park? Yes, but should you shoehorn the idea into the park when there are clearly other places it would thematically fit much better...

rle4lunch19 hours ago

DLs is really subtle, but definitely felt in every region some way or another. If MK copied it I wouldn't mind. There's a few severely lacking DL-> MK clones that feel like they were value engineered (even with the blessing of size) that could be enhanced in Florida.

CJR1 day ago

I think you're spot on. The same can be said for a lot of Epcot's (and some of DHS'... GMR specifically) attractions. Nostalgia definitely plays a big role around here. For good reason, but still. JoW is hardly the biggest issue in Epcot's makeover. Far from it, IMHO.

UNCgolf1 day ago

I think there's a lack of belief that it will actually be educational and will instead just be a nicely landscaped area with water features and Moana slapped on top. However, I think the bigger issue for people is that they knocked down Communicore for it. We really know absolutely nothing about it beyond some vague concept art -- I think if Disney released more info about what exactly it's going to be, people wouldn't be able to speculate so much (negatively or positively).

James Alucobond1 day ago

As far as I've seen, I think for many it has more to do with what it replaced than anything actually being wrong with it. I'm actually quite interested in JoW.

doctornick1 day ago

Exactly this. I can understand someone saying Moana as an IP fits better in Adventureland than Epcot. But the concept of JoW seems quite on point for Epcot’s FW/World Nature and the location chosen and better than any other location option. I still don’t get the pushback on here about it. 🤷‍♂️

doctornick1 day ago

id personally put IASW in the space where World Showplace is and try to have an entrance to the ride from behind the UK pavilion. That way the ride would be kind of a welcome for people entering Epcot from the WS entrance. Don’t know if that feasible

pdude811 day ago

Not that bad sums it up nicely. They barely screwed up that attraction :)

HauntedPirate1 day ago

I was as skeptical as anyone about the additions they made to DL’s version. When I saw it in person, it wasn’t that bad. I would envision a Chapek-era “reimagining” of IASW to be much worse, far heavier-handed.

J45461 day ago

i read that as water cycle farts at the end and chuckled

Magicart871 day ago

That's a fair justification if it truly is a learning exhibit. Only time will tell. Moana better know her Water Cycle facts. They'll be a quiz at the end.