Fabled 'Museum of the Weird' Candle Man figure joins the Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World

Nov 16, 2023 in "Haunted Mansion"

'Museum of the Weird' Candle Man at Haunted Mansion
Posted: Thursday November 16, 2023 9:22am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom is now home to the fabled 'Museum of the Weird' Candle Man figure.

Designed by legendary Imagineer Rolly Crump, the Candle Man figure was deemed too scary to go into the original Haunted Mansion and was instead planned to go into a never-realized 'Museum of the Weird' exhibit at the Haunted Mansion.

The demon-like ghostly figure is made of dripping wax and can be found in Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion attic scene on the left side of the forward motion.

Look for a table next to the suit of armor, and you will see the Candle Man figure looking toward your Doom Buggy.

Rolly Crump died earlier this year, and the Candle Man has likely been installed in both Walt Disney World's and Disneyland's Haunted Mansion as a tribute to Crump.

This latest addition is part of a series of upgrades at the Haunted Mansion, including an updated Madame Leota figure, the return of the mummy figure in the graveyard, updated load and unload belts, refreshed lighting in the stretch room, and the upcoming arrival of the Hatbox Ghost.

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

Touchdown18 days ago

Do you want to know how it works? Because I’ve seen it not work properly at DL The head screen is very quickly lowered into the body and back up. I also believe the screen may constrict a little as well but I’m not sure on that. It’s hidden by the puff of smoke animation. The animation was not working properly one time I rode. Doesn’t really spoil the effect for me, just makes me appreciate it more

Kittlesona18 days ago

I very much assumed this was how the heads work. Now I’m wondering why the effect isn’t more timed with the positioning of the doom buggies. The different practical effects of the mansion are fascinating!

yensidtlaw196918 days ago

The only lenticular I can think of that featured inside one of the Mansions was this one from the wall that hid Disneyland's Hatbox Ghost install. Bats like the ones from the stanchions appeared to fly around inside the window as you rode by. Never quite understood what they were going for there, but it was a lenticular:

TeriofTerror18 days ago

I'll leave those to the Country Bears. 😉

MisterPenguin18 days ago

Well, then, I stand corrected! Maybe it's the pearls....

RainbowFigmentum18 days ago

In each of the photos with the husband, she gains a pearl to her necklace, as his head disappears.

Mireille19 days ago

Is this a Liberace joke?

VicariousCorpse19 days ago

It's actually a two layer scrim with lighting in front and behind. At 8:35 you can see the doom buggy stopped and the transformations continue looping. While Disney loves their lenticulars for promos and merchandise, they're even on the construction walls for the mansion at Disneyland, I don't think they've ever been used inside any mansion.

yensidtlaw196919 days ago

The portraits aren't lenticular - if your Doombuggy gets stopped in the Attic the portraits will still continue changing. They're a modified version of the Changing Portrait Hall portraits.

MisterPenguin19 days ago

The effect is positional. If you stayed still, there would be no transformations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

VicariousCorpse19 days ago

The timing is independent of the doombuggies. They just switch back and forth between the two with equal amount of time. It's just coincidence and timing of your riding.

HMF19 days ago

Most likely, No.

Kittlesona19 days ago

Slightly off topic, but am I the only person who seeing the headless portraits in reverse? By that I mean, EVERY one of them I see the man headless first and then he “regains” his head as I continue to view it. Surely it’s meant to be seen the other way right? So that we know they all lost their heads? My fixation on that each time I ride takes me out of the malevolence of the attic each time.

𝕴𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖗9719 days ago

Constance has got to go someday, right?