Possibility of a refurbishment at EPCOT's Parking Plaza as canopy is removed

Nov 30, 2022 in "EPCOT"

Posted: Wednesday November 30, 2022 9:45am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

The Parking Plaza at EPCOT looks like it may be about to get a long overdue refurbishment.

The canopy structure that sits above the roofline was removed earlier this month. The support structure remains, but the fabric material is gone.

With all other areas of EPCOT being refreshed, it would make sense to update the dated-looking parking plaza with the current typeface design and general refresh.

hopemax6 hours ago

Visited today. There is just not good contrast of the “Welcome” lettering and the concrete behind. They only get readable when you get close. Unlike the blue letters. Not very welcoming.

tparris10 hours ago

Thanks! Yeah, I was being a bit too hopeful that they were adding more, but now that I think about it they definitely look like lightning rods.

wdwmagic11 hours ago

Great spots! Definitely lightning rods on the EPCOT sign.

kevlightyear11 hours ago

Those sort of look like lightning rods to me. They seem too thin to be structural.

tparris11 hours ago

Visiting the park today, I noticed two small new details on the parking plaza structure/signage. First of all (also the more insignificant change of the two), they’ve seemingly wrapped or changed the entire Alucobond(?) panel for the Disney Transport logo to change it from the old logo to the newer one. They also updated the clearance lettering (and the building address number) to the new EPCOT typeface. First picture is from @wdwmagic taken when the sign was installed and the second photo was taken by me today. You can see the panel with the new Disney Transport logo is much cleaner looking than the rest of the structure. The second change I noticed leads me to believe they’re not quite done here yet and may be adding more elements to the signage. When the main EPCOT logo sign was installed, there was nothing else on or around it, but today I noticed two poles of some sort protruding upwards from either end of the sign. I’m thinking they’re planning on adding something else to the sign, perhaps the classic five-ring flower logo? First photo is again from wdwmagic, second photo from me.

MisterPenguin2 days ago

mightynine3 days ago

Ok, “Dory 404” is a good one, I’ll give them that.

MisterPenguin3 days ago

It's what they did before.

Ayla3 days ago

OMG Talk about minimal effort. That is embarrassing. 🙄

Vegas Disney Fan3 days ago

Epcot really needs to invest in a quality pressure washer, it would have added one day to the installation process to blast off the old names first. Instead you have the Discover Crush 204 14 parking area. It just looks sloppy.

MisterPenguin3 days ago

HauntedPirate3 days ago

But think of the cost!!! That would likely take $50 million and take the toll plaza out of service for at least 6 months. ;) I could get behind that, in all seriousness. Something more than the absolutely minimal effort put forth for what's now there.

Ayla3 days ago

Me, too. Big improvement over what is actually there.

wdwmagic3 days ago

That's a very good mock-up, I like it.