First phase of the Cinderella Castle 50th anniversary overlay now complete

9 days ago in "Cinderella Castle"

50th anniversary Cinderella Castle additions - April 1 2021

The preparations for the 50th anniversary Cinderella Castle additions hit a major milestone last night with the completion of the first phase of the project.

All of the lower level decor is now in position, giving guests a glimpse of the additions as soon as they step foot on Main Street U.S.A.

Alongside the addition of the new draperies at the front of Cinderella Castle, work has been ongoing on retouching the blue paintwork on the spires.

The diagonal striping now has a lot more contrast.

With this first phase of the project complete, attention now moves onto installing the golden ribbons that will be placed on the spires. This is likely to require a crane in place of the high reach boom lifts that have been used so far.

When complete there will be 113 pieces of new decor installed, and it all officially gets unveiled on October 1 2021.

Click the gallery to see more pictures of the new additions at Cinderella Castle.

Article Posted: Apr 01, 2021 / 2:53pm ET

SpectroMan939 hours ago

They’re moving quickly with ribbon installation. More photos are on that one site.

hosekiller1 day ago

So far, the ribbons don’t look bad.....most of the time. They kinda change color with the lighting, and when they look good, they look great. But there were a couple of times they looked kinda dull. After seeing it in person, I don’t mind the decorations.

brihow1 day ago

I agree - but I also appreciate that the ribbons are a completely different look and that they aren't just repeating themselves.

Brian1 day ago

I preferred the crowns, despite their "over the top" appearance, because each of them were unique. You can tell that they really put a lot of thought into the design of each of them, and into what they represented. Meanwhile, they wrap Cinderella Castle in some fake ribbons.

Brenthodge1 day ago

Agree. And the bedazzled Disneyland crowns look like a crafter went crazy with a glue gun and a few pounds of sequins.

hosekiller1 day ago

In person it definitely changes based on lighting conditions. Sometimes it looks okay, other times it looks pretty bad 🤷🏻‍♂️

G00fyDad1 day ago

That cannot be a glass shading effect. There are dark pink in both light and shadowed sections.

JoeCamel1 day ago

The light and shadow show as different colors, I think it has glass or something in it.

WillWrambles1 day ago

Am I the only one who sees two entirely different shades of pink on the castle in this picture?

dreday31 day ago

I'm pretty sure the concept art showed ribbons on most, if not all, of the turrets.

Edward Jackson1 day ago

They will keep going and going and going!!! Eventually, it will look like a giant ball of ribbon.

disreport1 day ago

Wait....what's going on with the pink in this pic?

cookiee_munster1 day ago

I'm glad the roofs have been painted a different shade now, but will always have an issue with just how shiny and plastic they look. I thought the fact that they were one solid colour just really emphasized the fact that it really is a fake castle. But I thought painting each shingle on the roof would be a ridiculous and arduous task! They'd never do anything like that! Far too much work! And then, last night I saw this - ho-hum... :confused: The Paris castle still remains the most beautiful Disney castle that's in any of the parks.

peter114351 day ago

Official photos are usually taken in the morning light because they are generally taken before or after park opening