Disney Teases 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences for Animal Kingdom's big refresh

Sep 09, 2023 in "Disney's Animal Kingdom"

Tropical Americas Encanto land concept art at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Posted: Saturday September 9, 2023 10:37am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

New experiences inspired by "Encanto" – the Academy Award winning Walt Disney Animation Studios film – and the fan-favorite adventurer Indiana Jones are being considered for the reimagined DinoLand U.S.A. at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The new land themed to the tropical Americas would replace the entire Dino-Land U.S.A. area, with Indiana Jones replacing the existing Dinosaur ride, and Encanto replacing Dino-Rama. This latest concept also suggests that Disney has abandoned the plans for Moana and Zootopia in this area of the park.

Imagineering Boss Bruce Vaughn said, "Imagine a land filled with authentic experiences from this part of the world. With all of the placemaking and storytelling you'd expect. Look, it's a beautiful region to explore and has been the inspiration for so many magical stories over the years. We're looking forward to bringing all of that to life"

Vaughn contninued, "Imagineering has been talking about stories from this part of the world; Encanto with Indiana Jones just rose to the top. They give us so much to play with. We have a long way to go now and a lot more to discover. But our team here in Florida is all over it."

Get Walt Disney World News Delivered to Your Inbox

bmr159110 minutes ago

Since someone mentioned Up, any chance we get a waterfall with the house on top? You don’t have to give me a huge Up ride, but a nod within a land it takes place in feels appropriate. We can already assume Kevin, at the least, will be moving her meet and greet there.

MerlinTheGoat1 hour ago

I hadn't considered that the pink river might be a flume for a boat ride. Then again, there's no telling if Disney had even been considering making this a water based attraction back when this art was made (they didn't add any boats to that river in the art). Wonder if the ride will even travel outside, might be a fully indoor experience. Wonder what the ride length will end up being. Hopefully closer to or above 10 minutes rather than the mostly pitifully short ones they've been churning out for a long time now.

sedati3 hours ago

A hint may lie in the difference between the film: and the concept art: That being the river.... the pink river around the house.

Karakasa3 hours ago

Tragic. Mourning it is! I knew from skimming they wouldn't be re-using any of the AAs but missed the "no dinosaurs at all" bit. Well, thanks for the heads up. I know some people might find it laughable but this stuff's hitting me Maelstrom, Great Movie Ride and Splash Mountain hit people. I love all the new additions I'm hearing about (Lion King ride, Encanto ride, animal exhibits, there mere idea of a new IJ ride), but as a dino guy, this sucks. So much. Maybe lowercase-d dinosaur fans'll get a semi-bone thrown at us and IJ will involve a super-cool Quetzalcoatl/Kukulkan AA or something like that. A winged feathered snake isn't a dinosaur but it could have like, the head of one or something... I dunno. As per the Encanto ride, my guess is the Casita itself will be the queue and then the ride will be mostly in Antonio's room. It'd be weird to me if it explored too much of the other rooms because they don't have much to do with animals. If Rohde's involved I can't see them doing just a "tour of the house" ride in AK itself.

BrianLo3 hours ago

Reflecting on it a bit more, a trackless ride does make sense for the Casita... but exploring it on foot makes even more sense. It did raise the question if the Casita was just the ride, what exactly was going to the be queue? So I think we'll cleverly wind between various rooms and ultimately board in Antonio's room, which honestly isn't that bad of a decision. As mentioned it gives more potential for the ride to be an Animal Kingdom 'ride'. It also gives a ton of potential for another stellar queue, which is their recent M.O.

sedati3 hours ago

So use Aquatopia style boats.

ToTBellHop5 hours ago

As long as the HR manager for the Madrigal Family Whiskey Co-Op is I’m game.

imagineer975 hours ago

They've started their company, but Bruno doesn't want to invest in it. They think his future-seeing could really be a boon to the profits, so they've enlisted our aid to ride down the nearby river to try to convince him to buy in. "We own stock without Bruno, no, no, no" Eh, it's getting late, maybe I should have kept that one to myself...

ToTBellHop5 hours ago

That series of shorts that came out recently was pretty cute, but I agree. No further Up investment.

celluloid5 hours ago

No sequel or Disney Plus tie in on the horizon, therefore it is obsolete.

FigmentJedi5 hours ago

Recent IP anyways. Like Up would have been perfect for this, but I guess despite the Wilderness Explorers game and Kevin walkaround, it's too old to make into an anchor attraction in this Tropical Americas land.

Animaniac93-985 hours ago

We're in this situation because there's only a handful of IPs that can kind of fit into AK, that would also be considered by the Disney of 2023. The same Disney for which a ride like Everest, the Safari, KRR or CTX is sadly beyond comprehension. Let's hope they avoid the worse case scenario of just building Frozen Ever After, but with Encanto characters and songs.

ToTBellHop5 hours ago

He will be the new Big Red. Too soon?

James Alucobond5 hours ago

Wanting and caring are two different things. Are they actively clamoring for it? No. Do they care when it happens as long as they get the characters and songs they like? I imagine not. We'll see how TBA fairs in terms of popularity since it goes a bit farther in its alteration. Frozen Ever After being a sequel never dampened enthusiasm for it.