Disney Springs, announced on Thursday 14 March 2013, is the expansion and redevelopment of Downtown Disney that will see it approximately double in size. Construction begins in April 2013 and will be complete in 2016.
Disney Springs Construction Photos
Latest Disney Springs construction photos
Disney Springs Concept Art
View Disney Springs concept art
Disney Springs Announcement Press Release
Tom Staggs announces Disney Springs
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., March 14, 2013 – Walt Disney World Resort today announced the multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, a unique destination that will treat guests to significantly more shopping, dining and entertainment amid beautiful open-air promenades, meandering springs and waterfront charm.
Disney Springs will feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands. From boutique shops to unique flagship anchor stores, guests will be able to explore a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences and discover options unlike any other currently available in Central Florida.
“Disney Springs will be a timeless, vibrant place where Walt Disney World guests and local residents can relax, shop, dine and be entertained in an imaginative setting where they’ll instantly feel at home,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Featuring distinctive brands, world-class restaurants and unforgettable entertainment, Disney Springs will be brought to life with the same focus on storytelling and attention to detail that goes into our theme parks, resorts and cruise ships, resulting in a welcoming space that only Disney could create.”
Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and other venues for guests to explore, resulting in more than 150 establishments. In addition, Staggs noted, Central Florida stands to benefit from the expansion with more jobs, tax revenues and business opportunities.
Drawing inspiration from Florida’s waterfront towns and natural beauty, Disney Springs will include four outdoor neighborhoods interconnected by a flowing spring and vibrant lakefront. In addition to a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry, the destination will feature:
- The Town Center, which offers a sophisticated mix of shopping and dining along with a promenade where guests can relax, refresh and reconnect.
- A colorful and thriving commercial district called The Landing with inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.
- The family-friendly Marketplace that will continue to delight guests of all ages by combining new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway, along with classic Disney favorites, including an expanded World of Disney store.
- A West Side that provides an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.
Collectively, these efforts will not only have an impact within Walt Disney World, but will also have an economic ripple effect on Central Florida. The project will create an estimated 1,200 construction jobs and nearly 4,000 operational roles.
Disney will share more details on specific experiences coming to Disney Springs in the future. Construction is slated to begin next month with new areas opening in phases. Disney Springs is expected to be complete in 2016.
Disney Springs Frequently Asked Questions
What new additions are already open?
Wetzel's Pretzels and Haagen Dazs Kiosks - May 19 2014
Starbucks Marketplace - May 19 2014
Starbucks West Side - May 30 2014
Walkway bridge to Saratoga Springs - August 15 2014
Exposition Park Food Trucks - November 26 2014
Inspiration Park - December 2014
West Side Parking Garage - November 20 2014
Marketplace Causeway - February 12 2015
Chapel Hats - January 30 2015
APEX by Sunglass Hut - January 30 2015
Art of Shaving - February 4 2015
Sanuk - February 11 2015
Sound Lion - February 13 2015
When does construction of Disney Springs start?
Construction began in April 2013 and is due to be complete in 2016.
Latest construction photos.
What is currently under construction?
How big will Disney Springs be?
The expansion will approximately double the number of shops and restaurants at Downtown Disney. World of Disney will be expanded.
Which parts of the existing Downtown Disney will remain and what will be completely new?
The Marketplace and West Side will remain, Pleasure Island will become 'The Landing'. 'The Town Center' area will be completely new, built on former parking areas. The Marketplace will be updated, and will feature a new causeway bridge connecting the Rainforest Cafe area to the TREX area. The West Side will have new elevated spaces above the current area.
How will parking at Disney Springs work?
There will be two multi-level parking structures built, one on the Marketplace side, and one of the West Side. This will give a total parking space of around 6000 spaces. There will be no charge for parking.
Are any locations closing?
The following locations have already closed as part of the changes:
Are there any changes to parking?
- Parking lots H, I, J,K are all permanently closed to make way for the new West parking garage structure. These are the lots from Planet Hollywood all the way to Disney Quest.
- Entrance 3, which is located between Planet Hollywood and AMC Dine-In Theaters, is now exit only.
- The internal road which connects entrance 3 to entrance 4 that runs behind AMC, Splitsville and Disney Quest is now closed to all guest traffic, and will remain closed until the West parking garage is completed in late 2014.
Where can I found out more or ask questions?
Visit our discussion forum thread to ask questions or read thoughts from other readers