Walt Disney World Resort's fourth and newest theme park celebrates one amazing adventure after another with wild animals, exciting attractions, lavish stage shows and lovable characters! Highlights include an authentic African safari, Expedition Everest, a whirling white-water raft ride and a thrilling race back in time to prehistoric worlds.
From Walt Disney World property: take World Drive to Osceola Parkway West. From off Disney property: take I-4 to Exit 25B (U.S. 192 West), to World Drive North, to Osceola Parkway West, to Disney's Animal Kingdom parking plaza.
More than 500 acres
For 6,000 cars
June 5, 1995
April 22, 1998
More than 4,500 cast members to date
About 1,500, representing 250 species -- most acquired from zoos accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association.
More than 4 million trees, plants, shrubs, vines, grasses, ferns, etc. representing 3,000 species.
Entry Garden: The Oasis
-- A lush botanical garden designed for guests to explore habitats of fascinating creatures including iguanas, tree kangaroos, several species of colorful birds and other animals.
- Journey through the "wild" savannah that seems to put you in the heart of Africa with lions, zebra, giraffes and other magnificent animals roaming freely. There's also an authentic African village filled with sights and sounds of the mysterious continent.
- The site to meet many of the lovable Disney characters, including Mickey Mouse and friends from classic Disney films. Live shows include "Festival of the Lion King."
- Here's where the world's fascination with dinosaurs and jungles comes to life: race back in time to save the last dinosaur on the thrill ride DINOSAUR; The Boneyard Dig Site lets kids dig, swing and giggle through a prehistoric playground; and the live stage show "Finding Nemo The Musical".
- The park hub and home of the towering icon, The Tree of Life, which houses within its trunk "It's Tough to be a Bug," a humorous 3-D and special-effects show in the Tree of Life Theater. Discovery Island also features gifts and food emporiums and the bright tropical colors of hand-carved animal architecture.
- Home of Expedition Everest
, the parks biggest and newest thrill ride. Kali River Rapids, a white-water raft adventure through a threatened rainforest; Maharajah Jungle Trek, a surprising walking journey past Asian ruins and live exotic animals; and the thrilling "Flights of Wonder" exotic bird show.
Kali River Rapids
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
(Africa/Rafiki's Planet Watch)
Rafiki's Planet Watch
"It's Tough to be a Bug!"
The Tree of Life
"Finding Nemo - The Musical
"Festival of the Lion King
" (at 1,375-seat theater/Camp Minnie-Mickey)
"Flights of Wonder
" (at 1,000-seat Caravan Stage/Asia)
Where To Eat
Flame Tree Barbecue
(quick dining, outdoor seating/Discovery Island)
Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery
(quick dining/Discovery Island)
(quick dining/character breakfast/DinoLand U.S.A.)
Tamu Tamu Refreshments
Tusker House Restaurant
(character breakfast and non-character buffet dinner/Africa)
Yak and Yeti
Yak and Yeti Local Foods
Baby Care Center (Discovery Island)
Banking ATM (Entrance Plaza)
First Aid (Discovery Island)
Guest Services (Entrance Plaza)
Kennel (Entrance Plaza)
Lockers (Entrance Plaza)
Lost and Found (Discovery Island)
Lost children (Discovery Island)
Package pickup (Entrance Plaza)
Stroller rental (Entrance Plaza)
Wheelchair rental (Entrance Plaza)