Remember those surveys that Disney were carrying out last August (click here for a look back)
? The Orlando Sentinel
is today reporting that Disney are to go ahead with plans to convert 512 rooms at Port Orleans Riverside to storybook princess "Royal Rooms". The rooms will include lots of detailed princess theming, including references to Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Princess and the Frog. The new rooms are expected to open in Spring of 2012, with bookings beginning in the summer of 2011.
The story behind the Royal Guest Rooms is Princess Tiana from "The Princess and the Frog" invited her royal friends for a vacation getaway. Friends like Belle from "Beauty and the Beast" and Jasmine from "Aladdin" brought along some of their most treasured possessions. Since "The Princess and the Frog" is set in Princess Tiana’s hometown of New Orleans, Disney’s Port Orleans Resort is a natural fit for the story.
Some of the theming will include:
- Bathroom faucets in the shape of Aladdin's lamp
- Luggage bench in the shape of Sultan the dog that turns into a bench from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- Ornately decorated beds that include headboards with fiber optic special effects and gold and crystal accents
- Custom bed coverings and drapes that create a more luxurious "royal" experience
- Unique, in-room artwork featuring Tiana and her royal visitors
In another move, the beds at Port Orleans will be upgraded from full size to queen size, the same as those found at Disney's deluxe resorts.
Head to the images below for a look at some concept art that was part of the survey last year.