LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (April 25, 2006) -- Disney today announced a new, breakthrough program devoted to families travelling with toddlers or preschoolers. Called Magical Beginnings, it was custom designed based on both consumer research and guest feedback and is aimed at reducing the hassles and increasing the magic for parents when vacationing with toddlers and preschoolers.
"Magical Beginnings is all about making our parks and resorts even more accessible and appealing to a huge and important group of people -- families with very young children," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "Magical Beginnings reinforces our commitment to creating an easy-to-plan, easy-to-navigate vacation filled with activities that allow families to create lifelong memories."
Disney theme parks in Florida and California have always been the perfect playground for the whole family, but new attractions, shows and amenities make the parks and resort hotels even more welcoming to "little ones."
Timeless attractions, special kid's menus, character dining, children's programs, length-of-stay stroller rental at the theme parks, plus kiddie pools, play areas and in-room babysitting at Disney resort hotels were all created with young guests in mind.
The new Magical Beginnings program offers value travel packages, captivating entertainment, targeted planning tools and a host of services and amenities to make navigating Disney parks with children five years and younger easier then ever.
Recent research released by travel marketing experts Yesawich, Pepperdine, Brown and Russell (YPB&R) shows that eight out of ten families believe the ideal age to take a first major vacation with children is when the children are five years old or younger. The research revealed the families are seeking family-friendly destinations that offer activities for both kids and parents. Florida and California are the states family travelers want to visit most, with Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort as the preferred destinations. And nine out of ten preschool parents would consider taking their young children on a theme park vacation as long as the park offered age-appropriate rides and services.
"Age-appropriate activities and attractions are very important to this group of family travelers," said Peter Yesawich, chairman and chief executive officer of YPB&R. "That's why theme parks and, in particular, the Disney parks, are a natural vacation choice for families vacationing with toddlers and preschoolers."
Rekindling childhood memories and creating new family traditions is easy at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts as each features myriad attractions and entertainment options relevant to preschoolers.
"We continue to survey our guests around the world and evaluate our attractions and entertainment to remain as relevant as possible," said Rasulo. "Magical Beginnings is really the product of that listening and research. We think this new Magical Beginnings season will really resonate with families with toddlers and preschoolers."
Walt Disney World Introduces a Travel Season Just for Little Ones
Walt Disney World Resort has created an exciting seven-week travel period filled with savings and special events ideal for youngsters and parents during a traditionally less busy time of year.
- From Aug. 13 to Sept. 30, these families can enjoy a new package that offers free dining for the entire family. Packages include a five-day, four-night stay at a value resort, "Magic Your Way" theme park tickets and free Disney Dining plan (one table-service meal, one snack and one quick-service meal per day). Packages begin at $950 for two adults and one child (ages 3-9), $173 per additional child.
- Throughout the special travel time Disney will showcase dynamic concerts and special entertainment for little ones. "Playhouse Disney in Concert," presented by Huggies and Pull-Ups brands, includes performances by Disney Channel favorites The Wiggles, who will perform multiple shows daily, Aug. 29-Sept. 1. The award-winning Australian foursome will rouse the crowd with songs like "Yummy, Yummy" and "Big Red Car" as they headline a kid-friendly concert at Disney-MGM Studios. Youngsters can dance and sing along with other favorites including the Doodlebops; Johnny & the Sprites, featuring Johnny Tartaglia; Dan Zanes and more -- all scheduled to appear during the seven-week travel time. Plus, Disney Live family entertainment featuring the new "Mickey's Magic Show" created by Feld Entertainment will make its first-ever park appearance.
- During the Little Ones Travel Time, Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom will open an hour early on select days for Disney guests and their small-fry for favorites such as Dumbo the Flying Elephant, it's a small world and Peter Pan's Flight, and a new play area called Pooh's Playful Spot. Plus, youngsters can meet favorite characters during the special edition Extra Magic Hours. While guests must have Resort ID and valid ticketing for the parks offering this Fantasyland Extra Magic Hours, there is no additional charge to enjoy this extra time in the parks. This early access allows families with young ones to get an early start to their day and maximize park time before heading back to their Disney resort for an afternoon break.
- Character dining experiences have traditionally proven to be a great way to introduce little ones to Disney characters, with a dozen offerings throughout Disney parks and resorts. Coming this summer, kids can now dine and get autographs with Playhouse Disney pals JoJo and Goliath, and characters from Disney's Little Einsteins will meet and greet guests at Hollywood and Vine at Disney-MGM Studios.
- Other magical experiences for little ones include the new Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at World of Disney in Downtown Disney. A little girl can be transformed into her favorite princess with fancy hairstyles, glittery nails and dazzling costume makeovers. Reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique are strongly encouraged by calling 407/WDW-STYLE. And young adventurers can pretend to sail the high seas and hoist the Jolly Roger in the new, interactive Adventure Room in World of Disney. Young heroes and heroines can fill treasure chests and skulls with pirate plunder, create their own seafaring hat and interact with a new pirate named Rusty Blade.
- Planning a trip and navigating the parks will be easier than ever thanks to on-line planning tools, a Magical Beginnings in-park map highlighting age-appropriate attractions, hassle-reducing services and specially trained Disney reservation agents. For more information, visit disneyworld.com and select "Something For Everyone" and choose "Preschoolers" for more details and travel tips.
- Guests traveling by air don't need to worry about carting their luggage and their little ones through the airport. With the innovative and complimentary Disney's Magical Express, guests check their bags at their hometown airport, bypass baggage claim at Orlando International Airport and are whisked to all the Disney fun while their bags are delivered to their hotel rooms. The Disney magic even extends to the trip home for guests flying on many major airlines as guests can check their bags and get their boarding passes right at their Disney resort hotel.
- Bookings for the new travel package during the Little Ones Travel Time at Walt Disney World Resort can be made through June 4 by calling 407/WDW-PREK, or http://disneyworld.com/preK. For more information on Magical Beginnings, contact http://disneymagicalbeginnings.com.